Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn1_gw

Seed Pods, Cloning Box.......

karyn1
15 years ago

It seems that the aeroponics chamber is working very well for rooting some of the more difficult varieties of cuttings. Here's a couple passiflora cuttings that have been in for about 2 weeks, maybe, not really sure how long ago I made it.

{{gwi:577952}}

{{gwi:577953}}

Some pods that I hope will mature inside.

{{gwi:577954}}

{{gwi:577955}}

{{gwi:577956}}

One of the sphagnum cutting rolls.

{{gwi:577957}}

For some reason these blooms have no scent so I can let them stay on the plant while it's inside. It's normally a fairly highly scented brug.

{{gwi:577958}}

These brugs just won't die. There's about a dozen that have been outside unprotected through several frosts.

{{gwi:577960}}

Orchid and a couple hardy plants still blooming outside. The orchid is in an unheated GH.

{{gwi:577962}}

{{gwi:577963}}

{{gwi:577966}}

Comments (24)

• daniellalell
    15 years ago

Holy cow Karyn! Those roots look great! Congrats on the cloning box being a success!! I have been waiting to hear about how it was going. That brug blooming inside is puuurrrDeee! Which one is that? Glad you can enjoy these blooms!

• chena
    15 years ago

WOW!!! Very cool!!! I guess I should have looked around in OKC while I was there for a Hydroponics Store...I will probably be going back next week sooo maybe I can find one I would love to give it a try... Good to see someone still has some color.. I dug and brought everything in and I'll be danged if it wasn't 70* @ 6:30 this morning and in the 80's for the past week and a half.. CRAZY Weather...LOL
    Kylie

• givelittle_getlots
    15 years ago

Karyn you are just a amazing gardener! Crossing my fingers for your seedpods and happy for the angels without scent...it probably saved their flowers lol

Very educational and interresting by the way. It just shows me how much there is out there that you can try out.

Lucy

• flwrs4ever
    15 years ago

Karyn, way to go on the passies rooting, can I ask..did you take cuttings from the real thick branches...or at the ends of the vine ??

Im so glad you updated on the box, I have been wanting to make one, and give it a try.

It is nice to see the blooms...the frost finally got my zinnias this week, so no more blooms for me.

Kym

• gardenpaw
    15 years ago

Great job Karyn! lots of roots!

Karen

• karyn1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Kym the passie cuttings were mainly tips though I tried not to use really new soft growth. I have pretty good luck just rooting passies in water with bottom heat but the roots are nothing like these. I was pretty impressed with the root systems in such a short time. The cloning box was inexpensive to make. The most expensive thing was the expanded clay pellets and that's only because I had to buy such a big bag. The tub was $5, mesh pots about 10 cents each and I already had the pump, tubing, airstone and heat mat from my aquarium and old rooting supplies.

• funinthesunincl
    15 years ago

Pretty cool Karyn!!!

Nice looking root action...

MJ

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    15 years ago

Really nice job with the cloning box. Your seedpods look good. The round one looks cool! Do you write the crosses on the pod stems too?
    I lost count on how many pods I have now it goes up every week, I'm gonna have loads to share in the spring if they don't all freeze.

• plantlover49
    15 years ago

Karyn
    those are great looking roots, it is so nice when something works, which it looks like it really worked.
    Great job
    Elizabeth

• pagrdnr
    15 years ago

I'm glad it is working so well for you. How is it working on the vulc and the greenie brug cuttings?
    Shawn

• karyn1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I didn't put any green brugs in besides the Vulc. Still no roots but the cutting is growing well and the stem hasn't rotted. As long as it's not showing any sign of rot I'll leave it be. I'm afraid if I transfer it to soil it will bite the dust. I might try wrapping it in sphagnum??? How come my DH sells every type of fresh and dry moss except LF sphagnum? lol I buy so much of it. I really think he needs to start stocking it.

• luvmy3afhounds
    15 years ago

Wow Karen! I love that you try many different ways to root cuttings. I think I will make the cloning box that you gave instructions on. I had to figure out the air stone and bubbler. I guess they are what you use for an aquarium? I have a little aeroponic thing I got on sale. It only has three small slots and uses foam to put the seeds in. I need to find a timer, net pots and maybe some of those clay stones and see if I can use it for cuttings. I guess all the extras I need defeated the sale price!!! I have never rooted my passiflora. They reseed all over the yard and are hardy here. I don't know if the other varieties would do as well here. Do your passiflora cuttings grow well after you plant them outside? That sphaghum cutting roll sounds like a perfect solution for your brug cuttings. Very ingenious!
    Thank you for generously sharing your knowledge and ideas!
    Joyce

• karyn1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Most of my passion vines are tropical and need zone 10 conditions. They all get cut back and schlepped into the greenhouse over the winter. I think I only have 3 varieties that are cold hardy and they do quite well outside here (7a). The pump and airstone are the type used for an aquarium. The only things that might be difficult to find are the expanded clay pellets and mesh pots. Thankfully there's a small hydroponics store nearby. There's nothing else around here. I'm so sick of hearing that all these people can find Superthrive at HD. When I asked about it they just looked at me like I was asking for plutonium! lol

SJN I do label the pods that I hand pollinate. The labels became illegible after a bad thunderstorm so now I just know the pod parents and what pollen (s) I used on a particular plant but not which bud. It figures that the only brug with a single pod was naturally pollinated. lol

• daniellalell
    15 years ago

lmao Karyn..its nowhere around here either. Every time I asked at Lowes, HD, and other places I got the same look.
    I did find that Miracle Grow puts out stuff called...I have to go look, lol..'Quick Start', a planting and transplanting solution, and stimulates root growth. Have you tried it or seen it? I havent gone online to see what its made of yet, but seems to be working good for me. Doesnt smell very nice though. Smells like Centrum Vitamins, lol. I know you don't like MG's soils, but this may be easier for you to find than ST. My HD has never had it till this summer, and I didnt even see it there till late August. They are the only one around here that has it so far. Maybe the market around here is testing to see how well it does? That doesnt look right, but you know what I mean, lol.

• fool4flowers
    15 years ago

If you know what the bottle looks like you will find it with the specialty fertilizers like for houseplants and orchids and stuff. Its in a little brown bottles with a lot of writing on the little card its mounted too. Nobody that works at any of those stores knows what it is if they have or where it would be. No help at all, lol. Even walmart carries it but they are still remodeling and I just know all the potting soil is going to disappear again this year. I need to stock up on about 15 bags to get me through winter.

• fool4flowers
    15 years ago

Hey Karyn, can you clone us a few pedros in that box, lol. How cold do you let the orchids get down to?

• karyn1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Nobody but the hydroponics stores carry ST or even B1 around here including speciality nurseries. I even ventured into a Walmart to see if they carried it and I'd never been in a Walmart before. lol I still buy it online because it's so over priced at the hydroponics place but they do carry loads of other micro nutrients and fertilizers. I go through a lot of ST a season, almost 1/2 gallon, unlike most people that can get by with 4 oz. I don't have any problem finding rooting powder but rooting gel can be a problem. I've seen Quick Start but it's just a 4-12-4 fertilizer and I have fertilizers with similar ratios but I'm glad to hear that it's working well for you.

• karmahappytoes
    15 years ago

karyn, very interesting and I was wondering if you really needed the clay balls and one could use like moss for this?
    Also how about netting instead of those pots? Oh this might be fun to try, need to read some more.

• karyn1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You could probably use pumice but you don't want to use anything that will retain water. It needs to be very light and porous. If you can find the large perlite pieces that might be a viable alternative but they'd need to be big enough not to fall through the mesh pots.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    15 years ago

Karyn, I've been experimenting with labeling the seedpod stem with sharpie instead of having tags and so far they haven't faded at all. I got the tip from someone else and they said thiers don't fade the whole ripening process either. Sure makes it easier lol.

• karyn1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I made the mistake of using what was supposed to be waterproof tape and marking it with a sharpie but one good storm messed them up too much to make out even the first letter. The brug that set 5 pods was pollinated with doubles and Vulcanicola pollen. Of course those are the ones I was most interested in. lol Looks like I'll be growing out a whole lotta seeds next spring!

• gottahosta
    15 years ago

Wow, this is exciting Karen! Good going! I would like to try it. Can you find your original posting and link it here, please? And that is interesting about the orchids blooming in such cool weather. They look happy!

So sorry about the lost seedpod tags. I have a few OP seedpods on some of my brugs. It is hard to remove them. So I haven't ! LOL!!! If the pods are on a really desireable brugmansia, go ahead and leave them on. And farm out the seeds to forum members come Spring.
    Oh, I wanted to point out on your 5th photo- that looks like an aurea type pod and they ripen really quickly in the summer. Mine took less than 3 months. Keep an eye one it!!

• karyn1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The 5th is a Butterfly. That one always gets pods with no help from me. They ripen much faster then the others but not as many seeds. I think the last couple pods only had about 25-30 seeds.

• karyn1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here's a link to the instructions

Here is a link that might be useful: cloning chamber