Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tinael01

new to Brugs

tinael01
13 years ago

I don't see a link to FAQ for basic care of Brugmansias. I have a skinny little rooted cutting from a nice lady at a plant swap that got some bug damage from my garden already and I am worried about what to spray it with. It's about 9 inches tall and has a handful of leaves. I live in Seminole/Largo part of Tampa Bay metropolitan area and I have full, baking sun and lots of sand for soil. I do have an oak shaded area and partly composted horse manure though. It's awefully small though. Should I repot it and let it mature first? How do I help it grow?

Is there a FAQ anywhere? I hate to make you guys repeat! I know that must be anoying. I just really want to do this plant justice!

Comments (10)

• karyn1
    13 years ago

Questions aren't annoying at all and we all enjoy sharing our experience with these beautiful plants. I honestly don't know if there's a FAQ for this forum. It would probably do best inground in your zone but you can just as easily grow it in a container. If inground you'll want to enrich the soil with as much compost as possible and plant it somewhere that gets some protection from the intense afternoon sun. If you are using horse manure make sure it's completely broken down but the addition of leaf compost will help the most. As for bugs I don't treat my brugs with the exception of Forbid for broad mites. Everything else is easy enough for me to use a hose and beneficial insects. If you want to go the pesticide route horticultural soap or oil work well. You didn't say what size container it's in now. If it's smaller then a 6" pot I'd transplant it otherwise only if it's root bound and make sure it's in well draining soil. They are very heavy feeders and during the growing season I feed mine 1x/wk. I'm in zone 7a so mine are allowed to go dormant and put in storage over the winter. You'll want to d/c fertilizing about 4 weeks before it gets cold and the plant stops putting on new growth. Resume feeding when it warms up. Jan & Feb can get pretty chilly down there. Hopefully it won't be anything like last winter!

• tinael01
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you for the help! It is in a red party cup at the minute and the leaves are half chewed off. Whatever ate it was hungry. I think I'll repot it until March so I can bring it in because you're right - I lost a lot of plants last winter and that has me nervous. :) I'm reading into your post that it doesn't matter if I put it in a big pot - just don't let it get rootbound. I'll get some good potting soil and that should do it for now. Thank you!

• chena
    13 years ago

Hey Tina and Welcome!!
    If you have a nice warm sunny place in the house you can keep it growing over the Winter..When you repot don't go to big .. It is like other plants it does need the appropriate size pot to fit the size of the plant.. Looks like Karyn has everything else covered.. ;0)
    If you have questions ASK AWAY!! LOL

Kylie

• tinael01
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OMG - only one leaf left! What is eating my plant!

• chena
    13 years ago

Can you post a pic of it?

Kylie

• tinael01
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I posted 2 pics to photobucket http://s1090.photobucket.com/albums/i369/tinael01/

Here is a link that might be useful: TinasBugEatenBrug

• karyn1
    13 years ago

The only thing I've seen that eats brug foliage down that far is a big hornworm. They have excellent camouflage but on something that small you should be able to see it. At least brugs are incredibly resilient and can recover easily even when completely defoliated.

• chena
    13 years ago

Are they outside?? The only other thing I can think of is grasshoppers and rodents.. I had a rodent dang thing was the size of a Guinea Pig that got in garage and was snacking on my plants.. LOL he lives in Rodent Heaven now ;0)

Kylie

• tinael01
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It was in the back yard on the windowsill. I'll move it indoors for a few days. I don't think I could take it if that last leaf was eaten!

• tinael01
    Original Author
    13 years ago

i just bought a little datura. Care is the same? How much water? :) Sorry for the basic questions.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?