Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sibhskylvr

We're Back & Prognosis Is Not Good!

sibhskylvr
15 years ago

We've just returned from the vet's office. Prognosis is not good. Matt (our vet) has given 'Arrant' less than a 50% chance - closer to only 20%. No broken bones which was a good thing. Knees & legs are fine. But, he'll not be the same in the future. With his history of seizures - the time has come to look to the future with a saddened heart. Neurological is now what we're dealing with. 'Arrant' has been Matt's, quote "Worst dog with seizures he's ever had."

After talking for awhile - Matt suggested euthanize. I couldn't do it! I realize 'Arrant' is in pain - but can't bring myself to have him euthanized. Matt gave me time to think it over & we discussed options.

We talked over the options - as there are very, very few.

Came up with the following - Steroids for the next ten days. He prescribed Prednisone 20 mg tablets. Even this is no type of 'guarantee' that 'Arrant' will get any better - but I have to try! Just a 'spark' of improvement is better than none, right? I may be grabbing at straws - but it's worth it, to hopefully see any type of improvement.

If within the ten days there's no improvement - then I'll have to make a very hard decision that I don't want to make. And I don't want to really think about it (but I know I have to) - as I've done enough crying for the day. I'm sure it's going to get worse as the days progress - but I have to be strong & to think positive.

Arrant's had a good life! I'm happy for that & the fact I could give him a good & happy life. But sometimes things happen that we cannot control - no matter how hard we want to try!

Usually I'm the happy, fun guy to be around - but today my heart is broken & I'm not taking this situation very well. I can't shake that 'chokey' feeling in my throat & chest. Going to take a few days to myself, my loved ones, and the babies! And each of 'YOU' are a part of 'my loved ones!'

I want to thank each of you for your prayers & thoughts! They've meant alot to me! In this time of need - I have my friends - all of you! And it's very much appreciated!

Just wanted to update all of you! I wish the news had been much, much better!

Love you all!

Mike

{{gwi:577519}}

{{gwi:578697}}

{{gwi:544772}}

Comments (35)

• dirt_under_my_nails
    15 years ago

Mike~So sorry the results were not what we were all hoping for.Thanks for letting us know what was going on.

((((BIG HUGS))))

later...April

• karyn1
    15 years ago

Mike I'm so sorry. I was hoping that you'd get some good news. I agree with trying medications to see if that makes him more comfortable. Even if he can't be cured he could still have quality time if he's pain free. He'll let you know what to do. I hope that the medications make him comfortable. My thoughts are with you.
    Karyn

• givelittle_getlots
    15 years ago

Mike I am crying with you. I am so so sorry for Arrant and you. No matter what the future holds, it will not be without pain. But we are here for you and praying will continue.
    I know when you love someone so much it hurts you so much to see them in pain. You know that going to that place we call heaven would be a relieve for that special someone. But it is just so hard, so unimaginable that we have to live life without them. Thank God Mike we have our memories with them. I pray that the medicine and our prayers let a miracle happen! I wish it for the both of you.
    I can barely look at the picture of Arrant and I start crying all over again. I know your heart is aching and in so much pain. How much I wish that I could give you a real hug and take some of that pain from you.

But Mike one thing is for sure. Arrant feels and knows that you love him.

I do not talk much on the phone Mike, but if there is a moment that you need to talk and none of your other friends are available...I am here for you. Day and night. Sending you me number now

Hugs
    Lucy

• chena
    15 years ago

Mike ..My heart is breaking for you!! I Pray the Med's work..If you need ANYTHING!!! Please let me know!!!
    (((((Hugs)))))
    Kylie

• gardenpaw
    15 years ago

Mike, Im so very sorry the prognosis is not good, I was
    hoping and praying that things would be better, Im sitting
    here typing with tears in my eyes and saddness in my heart
    for you and Arrant, yes we do try to do what we can when
    it comes to our loved ones and trying our best to make them
    well...even if it is grasping at straws, I do hope the
    Prednisone helps him. He is beautiful and he is that way
    because of all of the love and care you give him he knows
    you love him.
    You and Arrant will continue to be in my prayers my friend.
    Big (((Hugs))) to you and Arrant.

Karen

• carmie2
    15 years ago

Mike, I am sorry..I was hoping to hear good news today..
    Big Hug for you and Arrant!

• bonnie12210
    15 years ago

Oh Mike I read your post and could not stop the tears,I feel your pain,my dear friend.My sisters little bitty dog takes prednisone,that is what keeps him going,the main thing is just don't give up hope,these fur babies are so smart he will know how you are feeling,and he could give up to,and we sure don't want that,give the meds a chance,they could improve him enough so that you don't have to make that awful decision.
    Mike please know that no matter what we are here for you,if I can do anything to help I will,prayers and hugs still coming your way.
    Never give up on the power of prayer,and God is still in the miracle business.Hugs to you both.Bonnie

• plantlover49
    15 years ago

Mike
    I am so sorry, but I think you know how much, everyone cares about you & your babies, the care you have put into them shows they are beautiful
    I do hope things do get better, you will be in our prayers
    also for you & your babies
    Hugs Elizabeth

• napdognewfie
    15 years ago

Mike, Email me your phone number. I would like to talk to you about Arrant. I might be able to help you feel better about it.

Linda

• wildflower
    15 years ago

Mike I am so sorry. You have mail.

• kathi_rogers
    15 years ago

Mike,my heart aches for you, I know if it was my Ebbie I would be in unimaginable pain. You and Arrant remain in my prayers and thoughts. Big hugs! Kathi

• rigo74
    15 years ago

Mike~ Please know that I will keep Arrant in my prayers, hope the meds help.If you need anything I am here for you.

Rigo

• lopaka_mikale
    15 years ago

Mike, I know this is a difficult time, and I feel for you. It is my sincerest hope that the medication will provide relief for Arrant. Quality of life is the most important thing for our pets, and I know that you have provided that to Arrant his entire life. When It is time to make the tough decisions, I am sure you will keep this in mind. The best decision for Arrant, will, in the end, be the best decision for you. I do not envy you this painful situation, as I thought I was facing the same, recently. Fortunately, the medication is working, so far. As Karyn stated, he will let you know, when the time comes. You will find the strength, with the support of your friends and family.

Your friend, Bob

• karmahappytoes
    15 years ago

sibhskylvr, we walked in your shoes a month ago and did the Prednisone route with our little girl that is 13 and as long as she isn't in pain we just monitor. Seizures are not something in an animal that is pleasant to deal with and it breaks my heart to see an animal go through one. You will know in your heart what is best when the time comes and keeping you both in our thoughts and prayers here.

• maemae0312
    15 years ago

Mike, I am so sorry you didn't get better news today. I was looking at the pictures of Arrant and I just wanted to go hug him and rub him on his scruff. I know you were given grim options, just look to Arrant for your answers he will let you know if and when it is time to make a decision. My heart aches for the both of you and I will continue to keep you my prayers. I know you want to spend as much time as possible with him right now, but please keep us updated.

Mary

• lboyce
    15 years ago

Mike.....karyn1 said it best...he will let you know when it is time. Please know that my thoughts and prayers are with you both.

Linda

• Nancy
    15 years ago

I'm so sorry, I was hoping for better news. I'll continue to hope the prednisone helps.

• pagrdnr
    15 years ago

Mike I am so sorry to hear this. I hope the meds help. Just remember that IF it comes to euthanizing, he'll be in a better place. It is a hard decision to make but if the animal is going to suffer it is the better option. I had to have a cat put dowin in August because she lost a lot of weight and I found out it was feline leukemia. It was a hard decision to make but I knew she was suffering.
    Shawn

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    15 years ago

Real sorry to hear about that. Will be praying for ya. It will be a hard decision and I know you will be able to do what is right for you.
    (hugs)

• fool4flowers
    15 years ago

Mike, I am so sorry. Been feeling weepy already and this did me in. I will pray really hard that the medicine helps enough to keep your sweet baby with you a while longer. It is a aweful decision to try and make and I hate that you might have to later on but I hope it won't be anytime soon. Hugs and love to you and Arrant. Let me know if I can do anything.

• funinthesunincl
    15 years ago

Mike...(((BIG HUGS)))

Our puppy dog, Thunder, a beautiful chocolate lab--member of our family for 14 years, had seizures and we faced with similiar decisions. My heart aches for ALL of you!!!

Beautiful pictures of Arrant! He is a good looking pup!!

Mary Jane

• gramsharon
    15 years ago

Hugs for Mike and Arrant. Having been where you are right now, and looking back to the time we had to make decisions that are so difficult, try to reassure yourself, Mike, that this is the time your devoted family member needs you the very most. I'm here in thought and prayer.

GramSharon, aka Sharon

• knotz
    15 years ago

Oh dear Mike...My heart goes out to you...They are all tough decisions :(

knotz

• rosepedal
    15 years ago

Mike I am so sorry about him. We will have you in our thoughts.....Barb

• neonposey
    15 years ago

If hearts could be heard breaking, I can hear yours thru the miles, and I hear others breaking right along with you.

Many of us have had to face the same decision as you and its incredibly hard, but as the others have said you will know when its time. Somehow you can tell they're leaving you, even before they're gone. Their eyes see something far away that you cant see. And being the good Daddy you are, I know you won't let him suffer if he starts having severe pain. In the meantime, we're all praying the medicine helps enough to keep him with you as long as possible. We're here for you. Many hugs and prayers for you and the beautiful Arrant.

• jumpin4joy
    15 years ago

Mike I am Truely sorry I know this was your worst fear this week. I am sure you will make the right choice. Put yourself in his place and pretend that is you in his paws. Then decide. No matter what you decide I know it will be done in his best intrest. Arrant is a beautiful vibrant dog who has been loved the best you could and enjoyed life. If he could speak I am sure he would say that he has had a wondful life and has been blessed to be with you this long. Brandy

• flwrs4ever
    15 years ago

Mike, I cant tell you how sorry I am ..I was praying you would get some good news today. Take all the time you need, but please know we are all here anytime you need us.

I agree, you will know what to do when the time comes..and Arrant has been lucky to be a part of your life.

I will pray that the meds will make Arrant more comfortable..and that you find the strength to get thru the next 10 days.

Cyber hugs on the way.

Kym ...with tears on her face.

• taz56
    15 years ago

Hi! Mike,
    really sorry to hear about your,
    baby! I share your sorrow! There
    like our babies and we love them!
    I'll keep you'll in my prayers!
    Hugs Susan

• honeybunny2 Fox
    15 years ago

Mike, I am so sorry to here about Arrant, I want to tell you about my dogs. Frank our 4 year old weinner dog, hurt his back chasing a squirrel He was not able to stand, he drug both feet, and did not have control of his bladder. it was hopless, the vet told us the same thing, except he told us to wait at least 3 weeks. My husband cried, and decided that we would have to put Frank down, he felt everything was hopeless. He decided if he could control his bladder, then he would buy him a doggie wheelchair. He went online to get all the information. I kept Frank inside and put the other dogs outside, so he would take it easy. The doctor put him on prednisone and acepronazinc( for pain). Then in about 2 weeks, he was able to stand up, but could not walk, he learned to hop like a rabbit, but he could get around. He got better and better. We built ramps so he did not have to use the steps, he can no longer jump, but he get around ok. Then in July, I came home from work, and Lucy, one of our other dogs,was dragging her legs, I really do belive someone kicked her, she cried from pain, I was not able to touch her. I just did the same thing all over again, and they are both able to walk, no jumping, but they have learned to depend on me. I come and get them if they need to get up or down. I want to tell you, just give it time, only time will tell. I really do believe that your Arrant will be fine, he will not be able to run like he did before, but he has you to take care of him. I cannot tell you how much love I get from these dogs, they know they depend on me to take care of them. As far ad Arrants seizures, I have only had one dog that had seizures, Abby would have a seizure when she got really hot and tired. I found out that if I got the water hose, and slowly covered her with water, she would come out of the seizure. I had to keep her from getting over exahused. She would want to go with the other weinner dogs, when I would go somewhere, so I use to take her in the wheelbarrow, she would just ride along, and the other dogs would be on the ground. When there is a way, you will find it. I pray that your baby will be ok. I know the joy he gives you. Dont give up now. I give my dogs prednisone, I give each dog 1/2 table in the morning and 1/2 in the evening. You have to have their blood checked every 6 months, Frank just had his done 3 weeks ago, and the doctor cut his dosage down to only 1/2 in the evening. IT doesn't seem to bother him. When you buy the prednisone get 90 tablets at a time you will same money. It is only $3 more for 90 than it is for 30 tablets, at my vets. Barbra,

• luvmy3afhounds
    15 years ago

Mike, My heart fell on the floor when I heard your news. I picked it back up and started researching seizures in Siberian Huskies. I read they are one of the top ten dogs for seizures, but I also read there are many different causes of seizures. I don't think you are grabbing at straws. You have to try everything within reason and educate yourself along with following the Vets guidance. Then and only then will you know you have done everything possible to help your beloved Arrant. My dog had seizures but they were caused by low blood sugar. I won't go into my story, but I had to change Vets to get the correct diagnosis. I know how much this hurts you, but please be strong and we will all continue to pray for healing. Take care of yourself and the warmest of hugs are sent for you and yours.
    Joyce

• ladylotus
    15 years ago

Mike,

Please know I'm thinking of you and your wonderful partner. I can't even write anything more for being choked up myself. I'm a softy and can not handle reading the pain you are going through having to make such an awful decision. I'm certain in time, you will know what the right decision is. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Please stay strong my friend.

~Tj~

• threas
    15 years ago

Mike,
    I am so sorry, you have to go through this. My heart goes out to you. I know you have the strength within yourself to get through this. Please know,my friend, you aren't far from my thoughts.

Love your buddy,
    Theresa

• carol57078
    15 years ago

Sorry to hear the news, they are so a part of our lives. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
    Carol

• iowagourdman
    15 years ago

Mike,

Our hearts go out to you from SkyHaven Farm. I have "lost" three of my Pot bellied piggies over the years, and it is not an easy thing to do. Arrant knows that you love him, and I am sure he knows that you are doing everything you can to help him through this. Our prayers are with you and Arrant during this difficult time.

Bruce B.

• eloise_ca
    15 years ago

Dear Mike, what sad news you received at the vets, but I'm praying Arrant will be fine none-the-less. Lots of HUGS.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz