Return to the Brugmansia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Categorization of Brugs and Daturas

Posted by dirtygardener73 9b (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 6, 09 at 12:37

Are Brugmansia and Datura still separate genuses (?) of the Solonaceae family? I'm finding conflicting sources; one says datura is now under brugmansia, but the plant files here say differently. Wikipedia has them as different genuses but you can't trust them always.

TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Categorization of Brugs and Daturas

They USED to be in the same genuses...but they do not fall into the same any longer.

A Dat is a Dat and that's Dat.

A brug is a brug and thats in a book. If it is a updated one.

Of course some folks still try to sell or tell you that a Datura is the same as a Brug.

Any reason why you ask?
Or just wanted to clarify?

Lucy

o

• Posted by chena z8 Texas (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 6, 09 at 14:04

Good info Lucy!!

Kylie

o

"A Dat is a Dat and that's Dat"?
LOL - nice one Lucy
Will

o

TIA just trying to be a bit funny but NOT making a joke on YOU! Hope you know that!!!

This is my 2nd season growing both intensely and Especially on Dats that came back from the ground from last year it was amazing to see the difference in them this year.

Same with the brugs.

Will sometimes my English REALLY sucks lol

Lucy

o

Lucy, your English is great! There are people born in an English speaking country that don't do half as good as you!!!
Ingrid.

o

As the ICRA Registrar for both of these genera, I can confirm that yes, they are distinct & separate. Below is a link to probably the most authoritative source possible; its the genera list at the International Society for Horticultural Science, where both are listed separately.
Also, all current publications list them separately. Two good ones for reference are "Brugmansia and Datura" by Ulrike & Hans-Georg Preissel, and "The European Garden Flora" by Stuart Max Walters and J. Cullen.
... although I think I like Lucy's explanation better. ;)
- Tom Hulse

Here is a link that might be useful: Taxonomic Listing of genera and families

o

Tom lol I actually love it when you jump in and always guide us to the best info possible :-)
thank you so much.

Lucy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Brugmansia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here