Return to the Brugmansia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
digging for overwinter

Posted by seahorse 7 (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 4, 09 at 13:38

I keep some potted brugs in the house overwinter, and some go into the unheated garage.
On the garage ones, last year I had one drop its leaves and the other one didn't. Funny - there is no window in there, just light when I open the door.

This year I have 2 brugs that are still in the ground. I am wondering if I should dig them up and pot up now, or wait until a light frost makes them drop their leaves. They will then go into the garage.

seahorse

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: digging for overwinter

• Posted by chena z8 Texas (My Page) on
    Wed, Nov 4, 09 at 16:27

Hey!!!!
I would wait and Strip the leaves before you bring them in..Bugs like leaves..LOL So where are you??? not all Z 7's are created equally...

Kylie

o

"Bugs like leaves"
Don't I know it!
I usually don't have too many problems with the brugs (elephant ears are the worst), altho this year I brought a hornworm in on one and it took me a few days to notice. Ouch.

So I should let the cold zap the leaves first and then dig them?

I am in the part of z7 that is almost z8...but not warm enough to leave brugs in the ground reliably. Maybe a bigger plant would do better than the one I tried.

seahorse

o

Just to save you some work- I am in zone 7b- NC & my brugs stay in the ground year round & are beautiful! Where are you located? It may be that you have to take them up- but you sound closer to zone 8 than I am..
Good luck!
kasha77

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Brugmansia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here