Return to the Brugmansia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this a Datura?

Posted by stephanie_kay 5a IL (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 14, 12 at 14:10

I have this little plant growing in my yard, noticed today even with our 30 degree weather it is in bud. I carefully dug it and put it in a pot without bothering the roots.
Wondering if anyone here could tell me if this is a datura.

Here is a link that might be useful: Unknown 2

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this a Datura?

Not a datura. Could it be a hollyhock?

o

No, it is not a hollyhock, I have them. The whole plant is not even 10 inches. The bud is about half an inch. The only reason I thought of datura, was in 2010 I planted a couple of purple flower datura's. This came up after we started getting rain this fall. A seedling from somewhere. I hope it will over winter in the pot. Here is another photo that I just took might be a bit better.

o

Eloise, it is a Malva sylvestris, I have large hollyhocks, they are hairy and this little one isn't. Posted on gardenweb facebook page and was given the name. Thank you for your help. I am not sure if I can delete this off the page.

o

Stephanie,
I agree that it's a Malva Sylvestris, or common mallow. I have several varieties in my yard. They have a taproot which makes them very difficult to move, even when they're very small. In my area, they survive the winters outside just fine. I cut them off at the ground and they come back even bigger and stronger the following year. During the growing season, I cut them back pretty severely, and they get nice and bushy. I love them; hope yours does okay.

o

Glad you got your plant identified Stepanie!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Brugmansia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here