Return to the Brugmansia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Winter Protection

Posted by yaslan 8 WA State (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 21, 10 at 15:20

Photobucket

I didn't want to dig up my brug so I will leave her in the ground this winter and prays that she makes it through.

Winter protection: a box, fluffy white padding & my brother's unused sweatshirt. It worked surprisingly well and I was very happy to see that she made it through the night! I'll have to do this for the next 4-5 days (and throughout this winter) so my poor Angel Trumpet will make it through these very cold days!

Winter protection by Artictropical

Thanks Laura in VB and artictropical for inspiring me with this technique!

Happy Growing,

-Bo

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Winter Protection

I would think the box would breakdown over time with the weather. (rain, snow, etc.) Hopefully it will work for you Bo!

Em

o

In zone 8 you shouldn't have a problem. All you need is a good mulching.

o

• Posted by yaslan 8 WA State (My Page) on
    Sun, Nov 21, 10 at 17:36

Hi Em,
yeah, it probably will breakdown, this is why I'll have to replace it or find something sturdier. But, it's working (so far) so I am happy and will continue this technique.
-Bo

o
RE: Winter Protection 2

Sun, Nov 21, 10 at 17:51

Photobucket

Hi Karyn,
We'll be below freezing for the next 6-7 days. So, hopefully this mini microclimate chamber will sustain my little brug....*crossing fingers* Though, I've wondered if I am in zone 8 or a different zone?

-Bo

o

• Posted by chena z8 Texas (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 22, 10 at 1:51

You still should be fine with some heavy mulch....
I could use that sweat shirt!! LOL ;0)
We had temps in the single digits for several consecutive days and mine came back.. Just make sure you have positive drainage.. Rot can be a big threat..

Kylie

o

It seems that 7B is just about the northern limit for brugs though I've heard of some people in 7A who have had theirs make it thru the winter. I'm not one of them. lol Good luck, I hope yours do well.

o

Mon, Nov 22, 10 at 12:24

Chena - That's very cold but nice to hear your brug made it (this does give me much hope and inspiration). But how can I make sure it has positive drainage?

Karyn - That's good info. I hope mines makes it too. And I'll definitely be getting that mulch.

Thanks Ladies!

-Bo

o

Instead of a box, how about a big nursery bucket? I have some over turned on top of some dahlias I don't feel strongly about.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Brugmansia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here