Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gramsharon

Super Thrive vs. rooting hormone

gramsharon
15 years ago

Does anyone know if there is any significant difference between Super Thrive and rooting hormone? I have the hormone but not the S.T. If there's a difference between the two, I I will try to locate the S.T. when working with cuttings.

Sharon

Comments (13)

• knotz
    15 years ago

I'd like to know also...I just started using the rooting hormone and I'm having a hard time finding the Super Thrive.

knotz

• funinthesunincl
    15 years ago

Have you thought of using Google????? It's REAL SIMPLE to compare the ingredients---they are two different things! And you can do a search on GardenWeb also....

• chena
    15 years ago

OR you could ask here and get a REAL answer.. It's REAL SIMPLE!!!

ST is a soultion of Vitamins and Horomones.. I do use it along with Seaweed~liquid Kelp for soaking new cuttings,soak plants who have been shipped, as well as to water in transplants.. I use a powdered rooting horomone when I plant cuttings in potting soil.. The difference between the 2 is the concentraction of Horomones and the addition of Vitamins.. I can find ST @ Lowes... usually stuck away in a corner somewhere.. I have to ask to find it.. It is also available online.. Sharon if you have trouble finding it let me know I will see what I can do to help ya out! ST is an awesome product..
    Kylie

• luvmy3afhounds
    15 years ago

Kylie, Thanks for your great answer! I have been looking for Super Thrive locally since I heard about it on the list 2 months ago. Our Lowe's, Home Depot and Walmart do not carry it. It is amazing how certain areas stock different things. I see in on Ebay but prefer to buy it locally. Mike had even said they had it on clearance at his Walmart in Arkansas!!! Do you put your cuttings in water to get nubs and then plant in soil? If so do you use the rooting hormone even if you have nubs? Do you put the rooting hormone just on the bottom or the sides too of the cutting? I would like to find that seaweed liquid kelp too. The only thing they have here is that Alaskan Fish Fertilizer. I have used it in the past but is too smelly to use indoors.
    Hope you had a nice visit with your Dad!!!
    Joyce

• chena
    15 years ago

Thanks Joyce.. My Dad is doing pretty good...
    I get the Seaweed at the Feed Store.. they sell Organics.. Being where you are at you should be able to find a store that sells organics ( I use Maxicrop)..The ST around here the only place I have found it is Lowes. It's $9~10.. lastes forever.. If you don't find it I can pick some up and send it..
    Kylie

• gramsharon
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I greatly appreciate the time taken by members of the forum that responded to my inquiry. There is a Lowe's locally, which I'll visit tomorrow in hopes of ST being stocked. There are very few nursery/greenhouses open at this time of year in my area. If worse comes to worse. I'll order it online. I feel it would be to the benefit of my cuttings to have ST vs. root hormone. Yes, on occasion of doing other cuttings, I've used root hormone by first dipping the cutting in water to cover any nubbies as well as the cut end of the plant, then place them directly in soil.
    Thank you for offering your experience and time to help me, as well as other members of the Forum who didn't know if there was any difference in these products.
    Sharon aka gramSharon

• chena
    15 years ago

If you have trouble finding it Sharon let me know!!
    Kylie

• knotz
    15 years ago

Thank you chena...I like hearing from others who have "used" certain products...I'll go back to Lowes again and see if they have it..I don't remember seeing it there...Maybe one of my local garden centers has it, but they are usually SO much more expensive.

knotz

• maemae0312
    15 years ago

The only time my Walmart carries ST is during peak gardening season. They have already converted over to Christmas, and don't even have a large bag of potting soil!!!!

Mary

• luvmy3afhounds
    15 years ago

Thanks for the offer Kylie! I will check feed stores tomorrow. We had a great nursery store "Binding Stevens" that had any and everything you would ever need for plants. They have been out of business now for more than a few years and we just don't have much anymore except HD and Lowes. I really miss that store!
    Joyce

• jumpin4joy
    15 years ago

I got mine last year @ walmart But havent seen it this year. It is usually tucked away But I am certain you wouldnt find it this time of year there.

• HecticNature
    10 years ago

order it on amazon so easy and always available cause i dont find it anywhere by me so i decided to try amazon and few days later it was here

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting