Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lon2250

Iochroma

lon2250
14 years ago

Does anyone have cuttings of Iochroma we can trade for or pay postage for. I am looking for anything but dark purple. You can post here or email us at sheldons7@hotmail.com.

Comments (19)

• dimples31312
    14 years ago

{{gwi:546139}}
    I have this one.

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

Dorothy that is beautiful. I have that one and a lighter purple one. Also a wine red is blooming now. But I am not cutting them down. This is just my first real winter with them after they grew and I got to learn more about them. Sorry Kim I have none to offer at this time.

Lucy

• lon2250
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Lucy I understand. I have seen everyones wish list and I just want to share, but like you our brugs are all to little. The 3 we do have to share I have already posted on the exchange we have cuttings for trade. I can't wait for spring to get here. I have already started some seeds. I have one new seedling. It is 2 inches tall now and has 4 leaves. I'm exited.

Kim

• haase
    14 years ago

Hello Dimples. I have just looked at this thread for the first time. I can't believe what I see, - your beautiful purple Angel.
    Can I buy a cutting from you? I'll pay whatever it takes. And I only need one or two, because I don't have the space for more. But this one--- I didn't even know that they come in these colors!!!
    You can email me at chiwadogs22@yahoo.com
    Thank you very much.
    Ingrid

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

Ingrid can you help me clean of the coffee of my computer monitor?

After all when you got so excited that you see this purple ANGEL for the 1st time, I had to think of Eddie and his SS wish.

Heck not just Eddie, we ALL want a purple Angel. Brug.

But Iochroma's are no Brugmansia's :-( They do fall in the same family Solanaceae. The reason I got into them was, that someone told me they take the heat a lot better the Brugs.

But now we know that puple Brugs is on your wish list too :-)))

Hugs
    Lucy

• haase
    14 years ago

Ohhhhh---aha!
    Thanks, Lucy, for the information. So they are not Brugs.
    But they do take the heat better? That's just down my alley.
    Besides, what's in a name, they look gorgeous, and together with my white Angel and my pink geraniums they would soooooo dress up my patio! I'm also impressed by how many trumpets come out in one spot, a whole cluster of them!

I can't find something like that in my local nursery, and I would still appreciate receiving a cutting from Dimple's
    beautiful purple plant, even if it is just a distand cousin of my Angel. It's "all in the family".

Ingrid.

• haase
    14 years ago

Is this all there is, on this subject?

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

Ingrid you are funny. What is it you want to know? I could show you the red wine one that finally bloomed...but you got to wait till I post it in a POTD roflmao

I do however love the FULL cluster blooms also.

Lucy

• lon2250
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Dorothy did you get my email?

Kim

• dimples31312
    14 years ago

Kim sorry I missed your email.
    Just emailed you.
    Dorothy

• dimples31312
    14 years ago

Ingrid
    Sorry I missed your post. But Lucy explained it.
    I wish it was a purple brug. We would all be HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY. LOL
    Dorothy

• karyn1
    14 years ago

There was someone on another forum that successfully grafted an iochroma to a brug. I don't know if the graft ever bloomed or how long it lasted but it was an interesting experiment.

• beachplant
    14 years ago

You know, I almost bought one of these but wasn't sure, I think I'll keep an eye out for them now that I've read more on them & the pictures.... A couple of on-line nurseries have them for sale. Kartuz greenhouse has nice selection, $8.50 each and I found seeds on another site.
    Tally HO!

• chena
    14 years ago

They are easy to start from seed.. I will have some later.. BUT!!! they are TINY and come in a boat load of goo... I have not done any good with cuttings but air layering works for me..

Kylie

• haase
    14 years ago

Hello Beachplant, and a million thanks for the hint about Kartuz Greenhouse, which is almost in my backyard - but I didn't know! I went right online and placed my order, got two Iochroma and one Brug. I'm sooo happy!
    I think that I am correct in assuming that I will receive rooted cuttings - just what I was looking for.

Ingrid.

• denflo60
    12 years ago

My Iochroma are going on their second season. Here in Michigan I kept them growing through the winter under lights, but it was a lot of work and I had some bug problems.
    A also raise Bugmansia which I let go dormant in the winter. Can I do the same with Iochroma or must they be kept growing to keep then alive.

• karyn1
    12 years ago

You can let the iochroma go dormant in the winter as well. I've allowed mine to go dormant the past 3 seasons.

• denflo60
    12 years ago

Karyn: Thank you very much. I will try it. Denny

• tiarella
    12 years ago

I'm intrigued by the pics of iochroma. How tall and wide does it get?? I have a yellow datura? planted in the ground this year but it has stopped blooming-growing lots of leaves. I'm located in far western SC and never grew these before. Can I over winter against a garden wall or dig and put in greenhouse over winter. Any info is appreciated-Thanks!

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES