Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
glaswegian_gw

Brugmansia in large pots.....show us your pictures

glaswegian
13 years ago

For those that keep their brugs in pots for ease of moving them back in, what sort of pot and size do you have? Show us pictures of your containers

Thx

Comments (34)

• tommysmommy
    13 years ago

You have to do that don't you Mick? It's Mick, right? Been a long time since we heard from you.

• chena
    13 years ago

Mick I will have more in containers tomorrow..LOL The ones I didn't get dug or moved in today .. we are suppose to have a freeze tonight .. they changed the forecast past dark so I got what I could..:0/ Those pic's would not be pretty! LOL

Kylie

• glaswegian
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes it's Mick. LOL Tommysmommy....how are you doing darling, long time no talk, hope all is well with you and the family? I am just fine, was away most of this year on deployment overseas, and once I came back, I got posted to another city and had to sell a house and buy another house with 5 days. Good thing though is that the military packs you up, load the 53' trailer, moves you, unload and unpack you :-)

The link below has my gardening efforts from 2009

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/cangard/msg0817215712717.html

Here are some pics of the new house and what have done so far since July 2010 when we took possession

{{gwi:17931}}

{{gwi:581279}}

{{gwi:17930}}

{{gwi:581280}}

{{gwi:581281}}

{{gwi:581282}}

{{gwi:581283}}

• tommysmommy
    13 years ago

Good looking place you have there, the hostas are to die for! Is that a wisteria in the pot? Well, glad you got settled back in. So you want photos of the pots we have our plants in huh? Maybe with a ruler across the top? I'll get right on that. Cherub is scenting the house with around 35 open blooms right now and about 20 more to go.

• roper2008
    13 years ago

This is Dr.Suess. I took this picture this morning before reading
    this post. Not a great shot of container, but you can pretty much
    guess the size of it.

{{gwi:581284}}

• glaswegian
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Roper....that is a cute Dr Suess. Do you put it in the ground

• roper2008
    13 years ago

No, but next year I will. Do you have any Brugs?

• glaswegian
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I recently received a couple from a Kylie on here

• glaswegian
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Still waiting to see people's brugs in pots, and to learn what kind of soil you use and what you feed them

• green_thumb_guy
    13 years ago

I'd strongly recommend putting your brigs in the ground. I found that our wind blew them over frequently and they dried out a lot; so, I didn't get the performance I expected.

In another posting, you are asking about tall brugs, I don't think height and pots are a good mix - especially you want a goo sized canopy

They are easy to di up in the fall

• xeriscape8321
    13 years ago

Since i live in a small cottage and my growing space is limited i do grow most of my brugs in huge black garden pots. To camouflage the fact that these are just ugly black pots I use impatiens and ferns as undergrowth in the pots. This also keeps the roots of the bugs cooler in the extreme florida heat. Of course during the hottest part of the summer (when I'm away) the impatiens do struggle. The whole yard is supplied with water by three sprinkler heads that stand 3 feet tall. I feed with miracle grow hose feeding and supplement with rose food pellets which supply the necessary trace elements which are lacking in miracle grow. I don't worry about salt build up because the sprinkler provides fresh water each eve so I don't get salt build up. One thing you must keep your eye on is the PH in potted plants...acid rains and just the elements in general will make my soils acidic so i will check the in the fall and supply garden lime to bring my ph levels back up to where they need to be (in the 7.0 range is best).

{{gwi:581285}}

• princealbert
    13 years ago

Mick,
    I have some in the large black nursery pots like xeriscape, and some in 50 Qt pots from walmart and Big Lots. I use Walmart or miricle grow potting soil. If you plan on sinking them I would use the black nursery pots.
    2 pots in this pic.
    {{gwi:581286}}

• green_thumb_guy
    13 years ago

Wow Gary,
    I'm blown away that you grow most of your brugs in pots and get the results you do. I' betting it is the sprinkler system that really helps.

Just amazed......

Mine grew well, but our winds kept blowing them over and breaking limbs.
    Thanks for sharing
    :)

• glaswegian
    Original Author
    13 years ago

On a different note, I divided the the large Hosta in my earlier posts above today

{{gwi:581289}}

{{gwi:581290}}

{{gwi:581291}}

{{gwi:581291}}

{{gwi:581292}}

• marquest
    12 years ago

I grow all my tropicals in pots. I have a bad back and would not be able to dig them up every Fall. I have a walk out basement so all I have to do is roll them into the basement in the Fall and roll them out in the Spring. That is easy for me.

I have never had a pot blow over maybe because I use extremely large pots I do not use the black nursery pots. Those are lightweight to try to grow something large.

I use my homemade compost and MG garden soil mix.
    {{gwi:105814}}
    {{gwi:581293}}
    {{gwi:581294}}
    {{gwi:581295}}
    {{gwi:581297}}
    {{gwi:581298}}

• figara
    12 years ago

This is one of my tallest brug in pots. It's a cross a bought from Eddie Axel Rose X Ramschield. It is in a 15 gal pot and is about 11-12ft tall and did not Y yet. It is close to the roof line on a 2 story building. The leaves are humongous too almost like a small banana leaf.
    {{gwi:581299}}
    Next to a normal size brug.
    {{gwi:581300}}

pat

• arghyagardengirl
    12 years ago

This is Brugmansia Fatso in a 15 gallon pot.

{{gwi:581301}}

• tommysmommy
    12 years ago

Hm, I sense a trend here. The bigger the pot the better the blooming? Since I have to shlep the plants around and up and down stairs myself I have to keep the pot sizes to the minimum. That's why this year, based on last year's growth, I'm putting as many as I have room for into the ground. So, I guess I'll not respond on pot sizes, etc.

• glaswegian
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Tommysmommy....Long time no speak, how the devil are ya? LOL

• glaswegian
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hello everyone,

Hope you are all well and looking forward to the gardening season? I have been away on military duties and just got back. I'll be moving houses again which means starting all over with another garden.

I do however have my plants in containers to take with me, as they don't come with the house :-)

• marcie_new
    12 years ago

Guys very nice!! love all those pics maybe this summer I will be able to post some of mine. Keep posting pictures. Thanks Marcie

• glaswegian
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Marcie

• glaswegian
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hello everyone.....

some update, so I am posted to another city this summer, and have to move next month. Just got back a few weeks ago from a house hunting trip, found a place and now have to start all over again.

My plants are in pots and containers ready to go

here are some pics as of June 2nd 2012

{{gwi:34999}}

{{gwi:35004}}

{{gwi:34997}}

{{gwi:581302}}

{{gwi:34998}}

{{gwi:530503}}

{{gwi:35003}}

{{gwi:35005}}

• rmbill
    11 years ago

Beautiful plants. I'm sure that you are glad that you potted them all so you can take them with you. Does Uncle Sam move them for you?
    Bill

• glaswegian
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am in Canada, no uncle Sam here :-) Yes I get a 53' truck that shows up to pack and move my belongings

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    11 years ago

This is a pink purchased as Brugmansia x insignis 'Pink'- when I have some good blooms I'll be back for a confirmation ID.

{{gwi:500653}}

This is a NOID my Mom gave up on- reportedly it is apricot.

{{gwi:500654}}

Don't know how large the pots are- hubby carries them in and out for me each year. I have always overwintered under lights (I keep orchids as well) but this past year I let them go dormant and found that to be FAR the better choice, if only because of the absence of bugs in my grow room.

• rudy625
    11 years ago

WOW.they sure are some healthy looking plants !!!! Good job !

• Rubby
    11 years ago

{{gwi:500652}}

• beautifulswimmers1
    11 years ago

These all look great!

• Rubby
    11 years ago

My 2 plants, 2 posts up, have grown SO much in the past 2 weeks since this picture was taken. I can't wait to see how big they get in those pots and hope they flower at some point

• chocolateis2b8
    11 years ago

Hi. New to brugs, last year I bought 3 little 8 inch cuttings, a white, a pink and a yellow, potted them up, managed to over winter them, and I'm very pleased with how fast they are growing and how big they've become.

This is them after a year under my care.

{{gwi:581303}}

{{gwi:581304}}

But best of all, today I found my first bud on the pink one, I can't tell you how excited I am.

{{gwi:581305}}

I'm also pretty sure I have buds starting on the yellow.

I figured I was doing well enough with the ones I had that today while visiting a botonical garden and found they had orange brugs for sell already in bud, I couldn't resist.

• eloise_ca
    11 years ago

chocolateis2b8, congrats on the bud! Will be exciting to see what the flower looks like. Be sure and post a picture when it opens.

• Rubby
    11 years ago

I WANT A BUD!!!!!!!!! LOL

• crocuscottage
    11 years ago

Do not know the gallon size of my pots, however, they range from 16 to 20 inches wide at the top.
    I will sink the pots into the ground to prevent them from falling over, works well and helps to slow the drying of the soil. My brugs are in full to part sun (I would say 5 to 8 hours a day of direct sun), and I water them twice a day, once in the morning before work, and when I return home in the evening.
    For soil, I use Pro-Mix BX.
    For feeding, twice a month with 20-20-20, and a few handfuls of Milorganite in the spring for iron.