Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
glaswegian_gw

What is the best way to root cuttings?

glaswegian
13 years ago

I have tried the water method in the past, and the cuttings ended up wilting. What method do you use that has produced 100% success rate for you?

Pls share with us

Comments (8)

• kasha77
    13 years ago

Glaswegian
    I don't know of anyone who has 100% success at rooting brug cuttings all the time. It depends on what kinds of cuttings you use- green vs hardwood, and enviromental conditions, time of year, indoors vs outdoors, etc. In summer I can strike green tip cuttings at the parent plants' feet, and water occaisionally, and they root up just great. Indoors is a different story for me. I start mine out in water, changing it every day until their lenticles start forming, then pot them up in a mixture I make myself. I lose some to rot every year. If you do a search on this topic, you'll find a wealth of info that has already been discussed here.
    Best wishes!
    kasha77

• chena
    13 years ago

If water is not working for you you may want to try Sphagnum Moss. Mary at BGI has a really cool demo of her method.. I looked for it but couldn't find it..Some do root better than others .. You may want to ask over there..I am still a member there I can ask if you want..

Kylie

• glaswegian
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Kylie, that is going to be my next strategy

• karyn1
    13 years ago

If you have the space just stick them in a pot of well draining soil. Make sure it's not too moist. Out of all the methods I've used I think that soil probably works best for me. It's also the method that takes up the most space which is a problem for many of us in the non frost free zones.

• Andrew Scott
    13 years ago

Hey Kathy,
    I told ya I would come up with a ton of questions! Once the lenticils form, is that the best time to root in soil?

I also wanted to ask about community pots. I use them a lot with my tropical fruit seedlings but I wanted to know if you could do this with brugs? It would be a big space saver if you could.

Oh, and you had said something about me having a lot of energy. It really isn't that I have tons of energy as much as I have a lot of back pain from a surgery I had back in February 2010. I have to go back to the neurosurgeon this coming Friday to find out what is going on.
    Andrew

• karyn1
    13 years ago

Community pots are fine. It can be a PITA to separate them once the pot is full of roots but if they are healthy cuttings the roots won't hurt and they'll recover. It's easiest to just take a sharp knife and slice them apart then replant in individual pots or inground.

• flowerlady70
    13 years ago

I will be cutting brugs back. Have white,yellow,pink. Will trade in Mississauga area for a double any colour.

• glaswegian
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Kylie....Your brugs arrived over the weekend in the tube packaging you used. I have since unwrapped them and stuck them in water with some hydrogen peroxide in it to prevent disease. I want to than you for this, and look forward to hearing from me soon

Cheers