Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tommysmommy_gw

first snows and new flowers opening

tommysmommy
13 years ago

I'm forced into having Cherub and Peach Versicolor in the house as they both have flowers opening. The peach never flowered all year, nor last year, and now has the first flower coming out of its calyx with another bud sticking up. The Cherub (this is the substitute that my neighborhood nurseryman gave back to me) might have 50 buds, the first one just dropped out of its calyx. Yes I know, pictures will come. I just hate bringing in the ones that have been out by the front door as whiteflies are on them. Best suggestions for doing the little buggers in before it gets cold tomorrow night?

Comments (11)

• plantlover49
    13 years ago

Dianne
    I have used Murphy's oil soap, for white fly's, you just
    use more water than the oil soap in a spray bottle, it's also good for aphids, I have tried safer soap, but I still had them, the Murphy's oil soap smother's them
    we had a little bit of snow Friday night, then saturday night it was really cold then Sunday morning, it was 22 degrees, oh Congratulations on your Blooms, I'll bet they are Beautiful
    Elizabeth

• karyn1
    13 years ago

OMG that evil 4 letter word! I agree with Elizabeth about using the Murphy's. Some people combine it with other ingredients and spray their plants. It's a couple capfuls of Murphy's, a shot of isopropyl alcohol, a squirt of dish soap and a quart of water. Use a spray bottle and saturate your plant.

• plantlover49
    13 years ago

Karyn
    Thank you for the other ingredients, I'll try that also,
    in the basement, the aphids are awful, I tried the safer soap, but it didn't seem too work, so it's back too Murphy's oil soap for me

Elizabeth

• tommysmommy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The Cherub is about to burst, I wonder what my family room will smell like in a week? I counted 70 buds!
    {{gwi:581752}}

• plantlover49
    13 years ago

Dianne
    How Beautiful your Brug looks, with all those Buds, would you believe, my Peaches & Creme Bloomed in my basement
    outside they go from white too Peach, but in the basement
    it Bloomed yellow, it has a scent but now as strong as
    outside
    Elizabeth

• tommysmommy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Why do they torture us like this, making us wait till the cold weather to perform?

• eloise_ca
    13 years ago

Diane, I hope Cherub opens up its blooms soon for you! That's how I felt about how long it took Infinity to open up and it is outside. I think the plants are going through what we go through with this crazy weather, i.e., it's cold, it's hot, it's raining, it's windy. Won't be long and I hope it feels your home with wonderful fragrance!

• mantorvillain
    13 years ago

Please, please do post pix of cherub once it colors up. Mine grew well from the cutting I got last fall but I had to bring it in before it bloomed and the young buds fell before developing. I'll really be interested to see it.
    My Peach Versi didn't bloom either but if its like mine and blooms it may 'almost' run you out of the house...one of my favs for perfume.
    Bet your house is gonna smell heavenly,
    Will

• tommysmommy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'll take some pix tomorrow but had to report: Peach Versi opened its only flower tonight while I was out - that one flower is scenting the entire upstairs. Cherub has opened 4 flowers and they're in varying stages of color. But! Barely any scent! This is so interesting.

• tommysmommy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

So the flowers are opening, and we had a yard visitor you might enjoy:

{{gwi:581754}}
    {{gwi:581756}}
    {{gwi:581758}}
    {{gwi:581760}}
    Last brug photo is the Peach Versicolor. Its scent is so much stronger than Cherub!

• glaswegian
    13 years ago

Lovely pictures Diane. I guess the visitor wants to get in on the aroma :-)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting