Return to the Brugmansia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Has this Brugmansia dies?

Posted by felias (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 14, 10 at 19:13

Hello everyone. I'm new here and am hoping I can get some advice as I have been using this forum as a source to help me with my landscaping since I bought my home.

We moved in in April after purchasing the house in a short sale so the home was vacant for 6 months. We had a great deal of landscaping to do, which we knew nothing about. We have the yard looking acceptable now but the only problem is this Angel Trumpet.

When we moved in the tree had not received any water in months other that the rain, which we don't get much of in San Diego.

The tree however did not look as bad as it does now. I started by watering it 3 days a week for 3 minutes. I have cut back to once a week for 3 minutes. I also recently trimmed it but I cant tell if its useless. Is this tree dead? If not, what can I do to make it look full and healthy?

Here is what it looked like in April

Photobucket

and here:

Photobucket

Here is what it looks like now:

Photobucket

I trimmed it 2 weeks ago and it had dead branches but started growing some new leaves and trumpets. But it still looks bad:

Photobucket

and this dosent look good either

Photobucket

Please help. Can this tree go back to looking full or should it be replaced?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Has this Brugmansia dies?

• Posted by chena z8 Texas (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 15, 10 at 1:32

YES Replace it and send it to me..LOL J/K.. :D
WELCOME by the way!!
I have no clue where you live but .. You can trim it back to the shape you want..Leaving the Y's on the branches you want to keep.. It looks healthy and perhaps reacting to the weather changes.. which will cause the leaves to yellow and drop..
(Love the sidewalk !!)
The last pic never loaded for me but I don't see anything wrong with the plant .. Other than it should be at my house..LOL

o

If your tree was at my house I would say those pock marks on the branches were from a hail storm. I don't know if you get those in San Diego tho. Actually the tree looks like it could use some good fertilizer, but it's a really good size and it's blooming, so those are pluses. If you don't expect any freezes you could start by giving it some regular miracle gro just to nourish it and put some leaves on it. Once it has more growth, you can encourage it to bloom more with Bloom Plus or any fertilizer with higher middle number. Don't dig it up, it's not as bad as you think, just a little sparse.

o

It just looks like it needs a bit of TLC. Trim out the dead and damaged branches and fertilize it regularly. I personally don't care for MG products as they contain a lot of salts that build up over time but some people swear by it. Your brug should look good in a reasonably short amount of time. You have a perfect climate in SD for so many plants. I'm jealous!

o

Karyn, you need to tell this person what kind of fertilizer if you don't like MG. I, too, am jealous of San Diego's climate!!

o

I use too many others to post. My email address is listed and they can contact me if they want.

o

Thanks everyone for the input. I'm going to take all the suggestions and let you guys know how it turned out!

o

Look forward to hearing what works.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Brugmansia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here