Return to the Brugmansia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New to Brugs

Posted by dj02 MD (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 16, 10 at 19:25

Hi, I started my first Brug in July and was immediately hooked. I ended up with 7 assorted ones in pots and moved them in to a large window area. All the leaves immediately fell off even though 3 of them were already between 3 to 4'. The tips are green with little sprigs. What do I do to keep them living until spring. Any help will be so appreciated. Thanks ! dj02

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New to Brugs

Welcome. Am a newbie also. Getting hooked on brugs was easy, eh? Addiction is quite easy with beauty(sight) and scent(sense of smelling) with these plants. I have not found a more intoxicating scent on any other plant. It grabs you and sets you back. AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!! Enjoy.

o

A window doesn't provide sufficient light. You can keep them growing there but the stems will become lanky and weak. If the brugs are already a good size you are probably better off allowing them to go dormant. You won't lose anything on size next spring because you'll likely end up having to trim off all the lanky growth anyway. You could invest in a small grow light system and make sure your brugs get at least 14 hours of light if you want to keep them growing over the winter. Another reason to consider allowing them to go dormant is that they attract all kinds of pests, especially mites, mealies, aphids and even scale.

o

• Posted by chena z8 Texas (My Page) on
    Wed, Nov 17, 10 at 14:06

I have to agree with Karyn.. If you don't have sufficient lighting you are better off to let them go dormant.. Strip the leaves, cut back on watering to avoid rot and keep it in a cool dimly lit area.. Mine that are in the garage don't seem to mine temps @38*.. I do bring some in BUT you run the risk of those nasty little critters.. Good Luck and WELCOME!!

Kylie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Brugmansia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here