Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maile_2010

slow forum

maile_2010
12 years ago

Everyone must be busy or exhausted. Not much new Brug talk.

Jerry

Comments (23)

• kasha77
    12 years ago

Today we had such high winds and rain that they blew the two front doors off of my cheaply manufactured Harbor Freight green house. Several roof panels were found hundreds of feet away. This is after we secured the clips and used adhesive all along the seams. My plastic arrived yesterday from Mega Greenhouse store to cover it. I'm hoping to get the 2nd house up so we can cover everything at once. So we have our work cut out for us this weekend if the weather straightens out. Other wise, just feeling a little overwhelmed with all of the different cuttings (38 varieties in 10 buckets) that I have to sort through and pot up. Many are rooting just fine with minimal rotting, even though they're in a very cool room at night. I also have a very large garbage can filled with very tall cuttings (some 6 feet tall) that I'm hoping to create instant trees with for my new gardens next year. I'm still having fun! :)

• maile_2010
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey Kathy,
    Sounds like you have been very busy with this BRUG ADDICTION thing. Good for you. The Blooms you have posted have been'AWESOME'.
    I almost bought that Harbor Greenhouse this spring. I am still researching green houses to see which BRUG growers like what.
    Everything has settled down with me.
    Not bragging, but 73 varieties ( I still have a bunch of cuttings from Bill (Detroit) coming yet) and retiring this Spring at 60. 6 months, can't wait. Been a commercial union carpenter for 38 years. Am so hurting. A farm boy and hard worker. Not like a city boy who has no work ethic. Sorry, I've been in this trade for 38 yrs. and I know County folk from City folk, totally differant work ethic. Sorry for rambling on.
    Wanted to say, my best method for me for rooting Brugs over the winter has been straight Sphagnum Moss, 1/4 teaspoon of Superthrive and 4 tsp of peroxide in 1 qt. of water. Soil for me in the winter months here does not work (ROT). Enough for now, heading up to the cabin for the weekend with the Dad, Son, Brother, Brother in Laws and Nephews for our MN deer hunting opener. I don't hunt anymore, just relax and MAINTAIN. See ya Monday.
    Jerry

• maile_2010
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I NEED A GREENHOUSE. Ya'll know what I MEAN??????????
    Jerry

• kasha77
    12 years ago

Well Jerry- I hear that when you retire you work harder and the days fly faster than ever before! But at least you're doing what YOU want to do! I don't know, I've got 10 years to go yet! My younger brother was a carpenter most of his life but his body couldn't keep doing roughing, so he became a prison guard working for NY state- he's so happy now! I'm so disappointed with these 2 greenhouses, so flimsy, so cheaply made. I guess the answer is, spend more money and get a decent one. (or 2) I agree with you on the sphagnum moss. Doesn't that peroxide work great! I also use the amber Wal Mart brand mouth wash similar to Listerine. It stops rot in its tracks. I always re cut the bottoms and soak them for a minute or 2 in a water solution with a little bit of this antiseptic in it. Works like a charm. Anyway- you go and enjoy the time with your family- great memories in the making!

• rmbill
    12 years ago

Kathy,
    I'm sorry to hear about all the trouble that you are having with your Harbor Freight greenhouse. I am coming up on my 4th year with mine and have had no problems since I put the extra clips on to hold the panels. I love mine. you must have a lot more wind than we do here in Michigan.
    Bill

• tommysmommy
    12 years ago

Gee a greenhouse would be nice, but where I can put it I just know tree branches will fall and smash due to high winds.

• kasha77
    12 years ago

Well- my daughter Rachel and my husband and I were able to cover one greenhouse today with plastic, which is guaranteed to last 4 yrs. I am so excited! Tomorrow we'll do a test run with an electric heater to see how it does. I think we need a small fan at the ceiling. Not sure which kind to buy. Any ideas? Don also riveted the panels into the frame so they won't move. He says we'll work on getting the other one up next weekend. Yeaaah! :)

• karyn1
    12 years ago

Kathy that's why I sent you that link about the modifications. You really do need to use them to keep those types of things from happening. Each panel needs to be screwed in as well as insulated. Unfortunately the sliding doors are a POS. We got around that by having it open into the dining room.

Make sure you use something to hold the plastic tightly against the greenhouse or you'll just be blowing the heat outside. Like I said we used bunji cords. Looks terrible but works well. Good luck.

Take a look in the Mega GH catalog. They should have a selection of fans. You want to make sure that it's weatherproof.

• kasha77
    12 years ago

Thanks Karen- I did show my husband those modifiactions,when we were erecting them- but you know how men are- Oops! Sorry guys! We pulled the plastic snug against the greenhouse, stapled it along the top where it butts up against our garden house, and rolled the excess plastic up in a few 2x4's at the base. He put a shop light in there so I can work in there at night- so that is very cool! How did you use bungi cords? What size were they- and how did you attach them- I don't see anywhere we could. I'll look into those fans. Also- how did you get ventilation in there with everything closed up tight? I'm concerned that it will get pretty hot in there once the sun comes up- temps jump 20* easily in there. Thanks a bunch Karyn, you're always so willing to help! :)

• karyn1
    12 years ago

I have no idea what size the cords are. Bruce hooked a bunch together and wrapped them around the sides a couple times. He made separate flaps over the vents so that they'll still open. I discovered that the thermostat is screwed up so I have to manually turn the heater on at night and off in the morning now. I'll just have to deal with it for now because I don't want to shell out the $$ for a new heater but will have to do something when we go on vacation.

• kasha77
    12 years ago

Karyn- it makes sense to me now. I've been using a milk house heater on the lower setting when it gets down to around 32* at it hold the temps at 50* with the plastic on. Temps go up to 70* in the sun with the heater off in the afternoons, which I think is perfect for them. They seem to be growing. Thanks for all your info and support- I'm learning! ;)

• duane456
    12 years ago

Hey Bill,
    Are you also loving the brugs that Karyn, Kathy, and myself have sent you? I sure wish I could start some of the ones you promised me sometime soon.
    Duane

• karyn1
    12 years ago

Duane I bet he's enjoying the box of cuttings that Mike sent him as well.

• maile_2010
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Don't be so hard on Bill, you'll get your cuttings.
    There are others to worry about and a few on E-bay also.
    Jerry

• karyn1
    12 years ago

Jerry I'm so glad we have a clairvoyant on this forum. lol

• maile_2010
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey karyn,
    I don't think I am "clairvoyant" according to the dictionary definition, but I do have a 100% correct judgement of character over the years. A GIFT.
    Jerry

• kasha77
    12 years ago

Jerry- my- aren't we full of ourselves! :)

• maile_2010
    Original Author
    12 years ago

SORRY.
    Touched a sore spot?

• kasha77
    12 years ago

I just realized it's been a full moon- guess that's why everyone is so touchy! :) I feel like we're all brothers and sisters getting our fur ruffled! Come on- we all really want to get along! ;)

• chena
    12 years ago

YIKES!!!!!!!
    Hubs hurt his ankle So I have been having to do the WM thing.. (NOT MY JOB) Come home with some nasty Wal-Matians germ get down for a few days and you can miss a lot around here..

Kylie

• rmbill
    12 years ago

Some of you people could take lessons from Jerry and Kylie. They are always nice, not just sometimes.
    Bill

• karyn1
    12 years ago

Some people should follow their own advice.

• Ament
    12 years ago

Wow, Where did the nice vibes go? =(

Why are people being so snippy with each other? I've never heard of Bill ripping off anyone. Ever. Bill's never been anything but sweet and kind to me. He'll get those brugs out to everyone he promised them to, just give him the time to do it folks!

Bill, save mine for whenever you can get to them, no huge rush at all. It's been just as crazy here for me as well. And if you don't get to them this time around? Always next time around! I'm all good with that too. Since I know you've a majorly large list to complete.

~Tina