Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fool4flowers

OT: How forums work

fool4flowers
14 years ago

My hubby has lost his blooming mind and wants to buy an established fishing forum. He was the moderator but the owner has gotten too busy to participate and wants to sell it to him. How do you go about making a site pay for itself and is it costly to own one or can you at least break even?

Comments (14)

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

lol Kristy...you said that so sweetly. Blooming mind rofl.

I guess it depends on how much he has to pay to keep it up each year?
    Does JOHN have the time to run it? Does the forum have like adds on it that would pay to the forum for clicks it gets?

Never really wanted or had a forum...but glad you are trying to find out BEFORE he jumps in the water with both feet lol

Lucy

• fool4flowers
    Original Author
    14 years ago

He has one toe in the water already, lol. Hope someone who has done it tells me soon before he dives in. He says it has ads you can click on. Bass pro shop Tmobile and some others. I guess he needs to talk to the owner and see ask him about sponsors.

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

Kristy another question.
    Is the forum well visited and used?
    Why BUY a forum...why not just open his OWN? He would safe the BUYING fee and just have to pay the annual fee...I guess

Lucy

• fool4flowers
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Its already established with 4,000 registered users and sponsors. He doesn't know anyone who designs websites and would like to keep this one. He is waiting on the guy to call him. Just needing to know some questions to ask. He stays on this website all day at work and all evening, lol.

• fool4flowers
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ok, I found out its powered by godaddy.com. I am trying to talk him out of it. Now its him and another guy that they want to be partners and I think John will just end up being the one to pay without the privileges of full ownership. Sounds fishy to me. No pun intended, lol.

• rober49
    14 years ago

if the 2nd party is not investing anything why include him? have your husband at least have a competent person look over the books. also if the partnership does happen have an attorney draw up an agreement covering all bases!

• napdognewfie
    14 years ago

It might be cheaper to pay someone to set up his own. I'd be very wary.

Linda

• fool4flowers
    Original Author
    14 years ago

They are supposed to be splitting the cost of the site but nobody wants to talk about how the income will happen or get divided up. The current owner said he was making about $15 a day but didn't explain how or where the money comes from. John knows nothing about this kind of stuff. They gave the other guy administrator privileges and just gave him moderator on all topics and said they would teach him later about adminstator stuff. I also told him he had to have a contract drawn up and then the guy started crawfishing like well we could just let them try it for a while. How are you going to try running it for a while if you can't tell what kind of money is coming in and don't have full priviledges to the site. Hope he comes to his senses and just leaves things as they are. From what they said the cost to keep it up is $50 a month. Don't know if that each or total but that will buy a lot of plants, lol.

• fool4flowers
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Won't be having to worry about this anymore. Threatened to kill him if he even thinks about it. He can start his own if he wants one and can figure out how to do it thats fine by me.

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

Kristy I was just going to say that you should have John read this thread.

but you found a better thread, I read roflmao

One thing is for sure...it sounds FISHY!!

WOW that is an expensive site to rum. That means it cost 600 Dollars a year to run a forum? I had NO IDEA it cost so much.

Lucy

• PKponder TX Z7B
    14 years ago

Cost depends on the hosting and software used. I seriously doubt there is much money to be made in forums, unless it is membership dues driven. Advertisers do pay more for the space on busy forums though.

• wickedwickedwitch
    14 years ago

I help run an adoption forum and we have had great success using VBulletin and then SiteGround to host it. You can put ads on it, you can ask for membership.

• fool4flowers
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone. I think I have talked him out of this. It seems like waste of money to me unless it is involved in a business of some sort. Too much money to spend on a hobby when he already does the same thing for free, lol.

• mantorvillain
    14 years ago

...and the work on the forum would likely take away from actual fishing time.
    Will