Return to the Brugmansia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
datura seeds

Posted by whiteeaglesue 8 (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 20, 12 at 21:28

i have had a seed pod on my double yellow datura for 2 months and it is still green not even starting to turn bro how long does it take for them to mature it is fixing to freeze here and i was hoping to collect the seed

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: datura seeds

Some variety of Datura only have green seed pods, they don't turn brown. Watch the scored lines on the pods, they will start to split open if they are ripening.
As long as the seeds themselves are brown they usually are viable. Sometimes if you pick the pod and keep it a couple of weeks 'as is' the seeds will ripen more and then you can break it open and save them. lay them separated on paper towels for 3-4 days until the harden a bit and feel dry, then place them in an envelope, seal it, mark the date and the content's name and keep in a drawer in your fridge until you are ready to plant.
Good luck!

o

Don't worry about a freeze. Datura seeds need stratification (a freeze and thaw) to germinate well. Seems to me that, in past years, a frost would promote splitting, but not this year.

I picked my purple metal yesterday. Pod never split and we've had frosts. The flesh was very soft, but when I cut it open the seeds look good. I'll let them dry on the counter and put them in the crisper drawer in the fridge as Ruth Ann recommends.

o

Some but not all Datura will do OK with freezing temps.
I live in Zone 5 in Canada and I regularly have Datura stramonium self seed here but that is the only one. The doubles don't like to get frosted much in my experience. You may get the seeds to germinate if they are fairly fresh but not so well if they have been saved even properly over the winter months.

o

thanks to everyone for the replies

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Brugmansia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here