Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katladie

Brug ID

katladie
12 years ago

I am hoping someone may be able to identify this Brug. It starts out white and turns a lite pink by morning, it has green ribs. The leaves are very large and a medium green.

{{gwi:583654}}

{{gwi:583656}}

Sharon

Comments (10)

• karyn1
    12 years ago

You should just call it a pink NOID. The blooms might darken up even more and the green ribs become less apparent as the bloom ages. There's really no easy way to positively ID an unknown brug. Guesses lead to incorrect ID's that are perpetuated thru exchanges.

• Cherie12
    12 years ago

I agree..............

• kasha77
    12 years ago

That's very true- it's especially important because some folks are depending on the accuracy of a correct name for breeding stock. But it sure is very beautiful! I have a few no ids that are stunning, and I'm very happy with them! Enjoy! :)

• katladie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I do enjoy it very much. I was just curious. I kinda knew the answer before y'all even gave it to me, lol. I am looking forward to adding more Brugs to my landscape, they are so beautiful.

Sharon

• chena
    12 years ago

Sharon it is Beautiful !!! No at thing wrong with a Beautiful NOID.. I have several of my own.. The Grands love to HELP clean up the gardens.. I guess they think the labels are trash..LOL

Kylie

• katladie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Chena, I have no problem with it being a NOID, I love it because of it's beauty. I have this one and a white NOID. I received cuttings for a yellow noid and a peach noid today and cuttings for Isabella, from a lady on another forum, I am proud to have them all.

Sharon

• arghyagardengirl
    12 years ago

Reminds me a lot of "LSU Special," an old Brug from way back. It's one of the few Brugs that have a corolla tube that is completely free of the calyx. Also, the shaft of the corolla is very thin and exposed. I would still call it a noid, but you might want to compare it to the LSU Special in the BGI Gallery. :)

• grrrnthumb
    12 years ago

That long skinny extension of the corolla tube out of the calyx is one of the indicators that this is close to a pure species of Brugmansia suaveolens, so even though you may not have a cultivar name, I think it is safe to label it Brugmansia suaveolens.
    You'll probably get darker color in hotter temps. 'Frosty Pink' can also look like this in cool weather. Also see H.G. Preissel "Brugmansia & Datura", pg 94 for another one identical to this... he labels it just "Brugmansia suaveolens". Any light pink suav should have offspring like this (especially cool weather), so as the ladies said, we'll never know the cultivar. :)
    - Tom

• katladie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone for the help, it will just be a noid. I did see a pic of LSU Special and thought they looked similar. I only give cuttings to friends and would never present it as a named cultivar. I like it just the way it is. Sharon

• msmorningsong
    12 years ago

grrnthumb is correct. My Frosty Pink looks identical to it at this very moment, except the coloration is much darker due to my particular weather. I love this old time standard!

Sponsored
Steadfast Construction
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Arlington County's Experienced Custom Deck Builder I Best of Houzz