Return to the Brugmansia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trade for Cuttings

Posted by rainydaywoman_z8 Oregon (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 25, 09 at 22:56

Would anyone like to trade a cutting or two? The only thing I have to trade is datura seeds. I have datura metel, which has fragrant white blooms and grows to approx 5'x5'. It is a beautiful, tropical-appearing annual plant that puts out tons of seed. As you probably already know, it is in the same family as brugmansia, and would look good with a grouping of brugs.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trade for Cuttings

sent you an email!

o
RE: Trade for Cuttings

RDW:

Carful. The datura don't like the same treatment as the brugs. I lost some double purple dats because of that. (Yep, and I was warned about it too.)

The dats don't like to be bothered, and they don't like to be fed as much or watered as much as the brugs.

and, there are some diseases which can transfer which will decimate your brugs. I never had the problem, because my dats died. (grin)

Ya wanna know what is funny? You can root shave a brug, and it won't pout. But, just repot a dat? It drops its buds and starts over, throwing a temper tantrum.

The more you experience both, the more you realize how very DIFFERENT they are. Hard to believe at one point, as recently as the early to mid 1990s, they had them catagorized as the same type of plant.

But the dats truly are amazing in their own right.

I'm going to do more dats next year on the other side of the house where the sun blazes unmercifully. I'm also going to try some dats at the summer place, on an dirt (clay) island in the yard we refer to as "hell on earth." Gruesome, all day sun beating and pounding on it, from sun rise to sun set. Just gruesome.

Elephant ears worked well there last year. Holes dug, back filled with dirt and seaweed, the clay underneath acted like a "water bowl" and held them damp.

Perfect spot to try dats though. And some hardy hibiscus.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Brugmansia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here