Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bismuth

Optimizing Germination

bismuth
17 years ago

I recently received seeds from karmahappytoes' Missouri Marble x albino Datura batch: a total of eleven seeds. My experience with Datura seeds infers that they won't grow when you want them to (usually after you spend forty dollars or so on soil, fertilizers, chemicals and pots), and then sprout where and when you don't expect them to. However, since I only have a few seeds, and I need to keep track of every one of them, I cannot afford to have them not germinate or germinate in the compost pile, which is already saturated with seeds from my other plants. What I want to know, then, is how I might up the germination rate of these seeds. I had an idea to soak them in a solution of Superthrive (maybe a drop or so to one cup of water). Anybody know if that will work? I was also considering gibberellic acid. If anybody has any more suggestions (perhaps peat pellets?), do speak up.

Comments (7)

• chena
    17 years ago

My experience with Datura is they germinate easily and will transplant without much care...I usually start mine in the house regular potting soil slightly moist nothing fancy...They took a couple of weeks...Best of Luck!!! I hope you will keep us informed on your progress..
    Chena

• karmahappytoes
    17 years ago

bismuth, don't go to any added expense on these, just plant in dirt and enjoy! Privately email me and I'll tell you about 'karma's cocktail' that we use here for starting Brugmansia and Datura seeds. Thank you and everyone else for testing our hybrids! Please no fussin' over these, just plant and enjoy!

• bismuth
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well, I set up an experiment with several variables (and a control, of course), so I'll probably take something from that when I plant karmahappytoes' seeds. But yes, Karma, I'm probably doing a lot more than I need to do. From how the plant appears in the photographs, I am assuming that it's Datura wrightii, which we have plenty of around here, so I don't want to confuse the plants. I have seen albinism and variegation passed down from parent plant to seed before, but most accounts state that a tissue culture will not replicate its mutant characteristics in seed except in those insignificant numbers.

That "cocktail" does sound interesting. I doubt that I will be getting too fancy in the end, maybe with a simple decision over substrate, but knowledge of anything to help plants gets started always intrigues me.

• karyn1
    17 years ago

I soak my seeds overnight and plant them just under the soil surface. I've had no problems with daturas. I've bought some supposedly difficult to germinate seeds that have been pre-treated with gibberellic acid but have never used it myself. I've soaked passiflora seeds in oj and just made up a batch of willow water to see how that works (mainly for cuttings). KHT I'm curious about your "karma's cocktail".

• karmahappytoes
    17 years ago

bismuth, Datura inoxia is my understanding where the Datura Missouri Marble was taken from. Yes the seeds will not carry the variegation but I'm in hopes that with this sport we will have some interesting seedlings with some great stems. I love the smeel of these as peanutbutter fragrance is my favorite when it comes from plants. Also watch your mail for a surprise.

• bismuth
    Original Author
    17 years ago

A surprise, eh? Well, I'll keep my eyes peeled.

I do believe that I saw some edge tinting on the flowers of the albino sport. Was that my imagining? The peanut butter scent you describe is definitely reminiscient of D. inoxia. Well, if the cross yields a distinct plant, then I guess you'll have to start thinking of names. Pink peanut butter? No? Perhaps it would be better if we saw what the thing looks like beforehand.

• karmahappytoes
    17 years ago

bismuth, you have a sharp eye there. Yes she and her mom have a pale purple tint. I just love this one!! We will have to wait to see what we all get. Wishing everyone that got these the best of luck!! Just keep me posted is all that I ask.