Return to the Brugmansia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
short-lived blooms

Posted by GeorgeCBrooks none (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 29, 12 at 23:10

My 3 year old B. sanguinea has grown to a great height, and seems healthy in its environs except for one thing: the blooms barely last a day before fading and dropping. Soon after opening nicely in full color I can see the corolla fade, and within 36 hours it has been shed, leaving behind an unsightly calyx with stigma sticking out. This has happened to every bloom since I have had the shrub. Everywhere I walk here in San Francisco I see various types of Brugmansia with long-lived blooms hanging for weeks.

Has anyone had this problem, or know a cure??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: short-lived blooms

Sounds to me like it's a very successful pollinating factory going on! :) If the stigma continues to hold, you'll be covered in seed pods! If you don't like them, cut them off!

o

I think you are exactly right, Kathy. I would love it if my Brugs pollinated like that. I have never raised Sanguineas so I am just guessing, though.
Bill

o

Thanks, I do cut them off. I can leave a few on as an experiment, but my real goal of course is to induce the blooms to persist.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Brugmansia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here