Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rmbill_gw

Looking for Chief.

rmbill
13 years ago

Does anybody have a cutting from Chief? I saw a picture someplace and really would like one. I would like to buy a cutting. If anyone has one or knows where I can find one please Email me. Thanks,

Bill

Comments (21)

• plantlover49
    13 years ago

Bill
    the Lady that had the Cheif, lost it, now all you can find
    are crosses of it, that was her prized Brug

Elizabeth

• karyn1
    13 years ago

Elizabeth doesn't Eddie grow Chief? I think he's still selling brugs but don't know his contact info. You can do a search in this forum for Eddie Dewayne or maybe just Eddie. Some of his posts should come up. You might also want to check with Mike (sibhskylvr). Good luck.

• plantlover49
    13 years ago

Karyn
    Liz also known as Gordo, was the one that had the Chief
    I am not sure if Eddie ever had it, that would be great if
    he or Mike does have it, Eddie still sells on ebay, maybe
    Mike will post on here soon, good ideas
    Elizabeth

• rmbill
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Eddie emailed me and said the Chief is dead. Too bad. I hope he is mistaken.
    Bill

• chena
    13 years ago

The Chief is unattainable.. I had a start of it a few yrs ago and lost it as well.. You may be able to find some Chief x's from Liz at Arghya Gardens.. you can email her there or at
    efitchl@tampabay.rr.com I have Morgennsone x The Chief still waiting for blooms tho..

Kylie

• rmbill
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I searched google and found some awesome Chief X blossoms. It is a terrible loss if we have truly lost the Chief.
    Bill

• figara
    13 years ago

From what I found out, the Chief is dead and there are only a few crosses left with his genes.
    Pat

• rmbill
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Does anybody have knowledge of where and how "the Chief" was created? If we pool what we know, Possibly we can create the Chief again. Hopefully his "mom and dad" are still around. I am willing to try, I just don't know where to start yet. I know some of you "Oldtimers" can help.
    Bill

• figara
    13 years ago

It was a cross between Angels Flight x Charming made by Volker Sanders Germany 2006 and Liz Fichtl (USA)was the seedling parent.

Pat

• rmbill
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Pat,
    Do you know if these are available anymore? I will be glad to pay to get them.
    Bill

• figara
    13 years ago

Bill, I do not know but I guess they are around. I would think Eddie might have Angel Flight and /or Charming.

Pat

• chena
    13 years ago

Bill!! Liz has a new Chief cross that will be released next yr.. It is The Chief X Sam.. It is Beautiful!!!!
    Along with a few other crosses that are just to die for.. This is going to be a Great Brug season..!!! YAY!!!

Kylie

• rmbill
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Kylie, I saw a picture of the Chief x Sam, somewhere. You are right . It is magnificant. I,ll be looking to get one someday.
    Bill

• plantlover49
    13 years ago

Bill
    I have a small cross of the Chief, maybe next summer I can share with you

Elizabeth

• rmbill
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Elizabeth. That would be great. I will keep that in mind.
    Bill

• sommergardens
    13 years ago

I have a bunch of Liz's The Chief crosses growing out and have posted a bunch of photos in my blog. Last year I registered Brugmansia "Lizzy" (named after Liz), a beautiful triple pink from a cross Liz made of Rubirosa x The Chief.

I hope to have a bunch of Lizzy seeds available for the iBrugs seed bank this summer with Lizzy as the pod parent. Currently I have pods of Lizzy x Herbstzauber, Lizzy x Langenbuscher Garter, Lizzy x Angel's Goldface and a bunch more growing. We should see some nice multi-skirt yellows and oranges out of those crosses.

In the next couple of years you should see lots of new double/triple yellows and oranges introduced in the U.S.

Exciting times are ahead for brug enthusiasts!

Fred

Here is a link that might be useful: Fred's Garden Blog

• kasha77
    13 years ago

Hi Fred-
    I've just got to say- I am so impressed and "WOWED!" with the crosses you've produced, and I hope you will make them available to the public so I can introduce them into my gardens! If you ever want to trial some in NC, please be sure to look me up! LOL! No seriously, you've done a fantastic job in creating some of the most beautiful brug blooms I've ever seen. Keep up the great work, and keep them coming!
    kasha77

• karyn1
    13 years ago

Fred I thoroughly enjoyed your blog. Thanks for posting the link.

• eloise_ca
    13 years ago

Great brug crosses and photos, Fred. Thanks for sharing.

• chena
    13 years ago

Nice to see you as always Fred.. That is a lot to look forward to in the future.. Sounds Yummy!!!

Kylie

• sommergardens
    13 years ago

I just had a Lizzy x Orange Zest seedling bloom. Both have "The Chief" as a father. The blooms were just an ordinary double white. I was hoping for a Lizzy style bloom with the color of Orange Zest. I still have more seedlings from this cross yet to bloom so I'm not giving up hope. :)

You can see photos of this seedling via the link below.

Fred

Here is a link that might be useful: Brugmansia Lizzy x Orange Zest

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler