Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
olivemay_gw

Purple and White Double Angel's Trumpet

OliveMay
19 years ago

Hi! I've just joined your forums. I've recently grown a deep purple and white Angel's Trumpet, with double flowers. I can post a pic if anyone is interested. I was just wondering if anyone else had grown one similar?

Comments (40)

• KinTheGardenGuy
    19 years ago

Hi OliveMay, We always love picture's here. I believe you have a Datura(Thorn Apple) not an Angel's Trumpet(Brugmansia). Datura blooms are pointed upward where as Angel's trumpet blooms are downward~ pendulous. Would love to see a picture though. Kin

• ltcollins1949
    19 years ago

OliveMay

Yes, I have purple and white daturas, which I just love. They are in my greenhouse now still blooming. Yes, go ahead and post pictures please.

When I first started growing daturas, I thought that they were Angel's Trumpets because the nursery marked them that way.

Well then I was given some brugmansias and someone said that they too were Angel's Trumpets. So I did a little research and found out that "Angel's Trumpets" is a catch-all common name for both. And then I read a post on the Florida Gardening Forum that said that the daturas are devil's trumpets and that the brugmansias are the angel's trumpets. I replied that is why we should use the botanical name since the common name varies from region to region.

And Kin's explanation is a good way to remember which is which.

• tngreenthumb
    19 years ago

Do they look like these?

{{gwi:584858}}

• ltcollins1949
    19 years ago

Yes, beautiful aren't they?

• beachplant
    19 years ago

Brugmansia don't grow purple, another urban myth I'm afraid. You have datura baby! They grow easily from seeds, for some reason here the ants seem to love the seed pods!

• ashli
    19 years ago

Wow...where can you buy those beautiful double purple and white Angel Trumpets?? Never seen any blooms like that.
    (Wonder if they would grow in Georgia?)

• LaurelLily
    19 years ago

Ashli, there's a very nice woman in the Texas Gardening forum, in the Exchanges forum, that's offering double purple datura seeds (look just like that picture when they bloom) for postage. She's got a bunch. Got some from her and mine just germinated about two weeks ago. : )

Here is a link that might be useful: Have: Double Lavendar Datura Seeds

• OliveMay
    Original Author
    18 years ago

FINALLY I've posted some pics for you guys. Thanks for the help, they were datura after all. (Pics are in the gallery section.)

Thanks once again!

• mdahms1979
    18 years ago

What you have is a variety of Datura metel. Datura metel comes in several varieties including var fastuosa which is purple, var chlorantha which is yellow, as well as other less common colours like white, cream, and reddish violet. Flowers can be single or double.

• sinner_gurl
    18 years ago

I just got some of the purple datura to germinate. I've grown the white and yellow before. I was just wondering if the purple ones have a fragrance?

• mdahms1979
    18 years ago

I don't remember if mine had a fragrance. If it did it was not as strong as my other Daturas. It really varies from plant to plant as well. My Datura inoxia is not that fragrant but my new Datura inoxia quiquecuspida 'Missouri Marble' is quite fragrant at night.

• OliveMay
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi! Fellow Devil's Trumpet addicts,I have problems the flowers - they are not producing seed pods. I would love a yellow & white plant, are there any out there? I have seed that is 3
    years old will it germinate? Can we exchange seed??? Oh, and to answer your question, my plant does not have fragance.
    olivemay

• sandij_2006
    17 years ago

I am just starting with my double purple. What do you do with the seed pods?

• wanna_run_faster
    17 years ago

I just had a pod crack open if anyone is still looking for these seeds. I'd be happy to trade or do sasbe. I have a "dead" nose...and I was knocked off my socks the first time I smelled these.

It's a large pod so there might be enough for 2, if not I've got a few more pods in the process of maturing... :)

• samfawzy10
    17 years ago

hi wanna,

I would love to have some of your double purple datura seeds for SASE. I am in Canada but I will ask my daughter in California to send you the package and if you don't mind please e-mail me your address.
    Thanks so much in advance. Seham
    P.S: one trader sent me some datura seeds but I ended with evergreen leaves and very tiny flower - check the attached photo

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:584840}}

• mimicubed
    17 years ago

I have double yellow, double purple, and "cream and sugar" daturas. They are spectacular. One year I had the double purple return the next season but never did bloom when all the plants grown from seed that year bloom profusely. Has anyone had a datura return and bloom?

Also, on the exchange forum I traded my purple seeds for other variety of datura. But I received seeds that were related to the moonflower (open at night). Is that the difference between datura metal and datura inoxia? Any experts out there?

• wanna_run_faster
    17 years ago

Seham, I sent you an email. Mine look exactly like the ones pictured above. I think I might have pictures of the exact plant on my trade list too if you want to take a look.

They are also very fragrant :)

• pingchandlerpong
    16 years ago

Hi evry 1 I am growing purple trumpets and I am asking for answers to the following questions I have already planted them in my greenhouse now what do I need to do for them to germinate? and are they vines?

• karyn1
    16 years ago

Daturas are not vines. They are more like little bushes. There is a Moonflower vine that's a type of morning glory. What zone are you in? I start datura seeds early inside and I also direct sow them outside when it warms up. Unlike brugmansias I grow daturas as an annual. Just keep the soil moist but not wet. Daturas have erratic germination rates. Some will sprout in a week while others will take several months. Once it's warm in your area, day and night, I'd put the daturas outside, either in a pot or in the garden.
    Karyn

• nana314
    15 years ago

i would love to find out about the daturas. how to plant them in sun, shade, or part sun or shade. i just recived a plant and thought it was an angel trumpets but after seeing the photo above i think i have daturas plant. can any one help me about this plant.

Here is a link that might be useful: garden web

• chena
    15 years ago

Hey Nana!! Welcome..
    I guess the link didn't work for me...LOL It just took me back to GW!! Where do you live?? I also grow them as an annual and I am a Z8 on the new map..LOL They are no different than any other seed ..Plant them and watch them grow.. either in the garden or a pot.. We have Native ones here and most I have grown seem to adapt to the the enviroment they are not needy at all..It is best to collect the seed pods becoz they will reseed... What kind do you have?
    Kylie

• nana314
    15 years ago

chena i live right north of birmingham alabama. i have the double purple and white and they look just like the picture above, it bloomed late in the evening and i planted it in a pot and set it in the sun and it looks like it is trying to die can you help me nana

Here is a link that might be useful: garden web

• chena
    15 years ago

Hey Nana!! Welcome..
    I guess the link didn't work for me...LOL It just took me back to GW!! Where do you live?? I also grow them as an annual and I am a Z8 on the new map..LOL They are no different than any other seed ..Plant them and watch them grow.. either in the garden or a pot.. We have Native ones here and most I have grown seem to adapt to the the enviroment they are not needy at all..It is best to collect the seed pods becoz they will reseed... What kind do you have?
    Kylie

• junkyardgirl
    15 years ago

Dats are my faves! I just started a lot of seeds of some white ones, and some unknowns I found in a bag in the garage.

I have the double purple and I did have the triple yellow, but it died. I'm hoping these seeds are from that one. I know I saved some.

• givelittle_getlots
    15 years ago

Right now the dat seeds are my favorites too. since the brug seeds have not sprouted yet at all :-(

• calvert_2008
    15 years ago

I have 70 plants going which I started from seeds from last years tree. They are now in 3 gallon containers using Mircle Grow water moisture plant mix. I started the seeds in April and as of today Jun 16 I am starting to see buds.
    Just a hobby

• givelittle_getlots
    15 years ago

Calvert what or where do you put all 70 plants once they get bigger?
    Luzia

• rigo74
    15 years ago

Can you post some pics, we would love to see your plants

Rigo

• daffodillady
    15 years ago

Nana,
    I live southwest of Birmingham. Daturas and brugmansias are supposed to be full sun plants. But the daturas and brugmansias I have in 5 gallon buckets sure seemed to have had a hard time in the full sun. I have recently moved them to a spot where they are in bright shade in the afternoon. They have perked up and all have grown several inches. The ones in the ground in full sun seem to be growing fine, but must be watered at least every other day and I may have to water more often as the weather heats up. This is only my second summer with dats and brugs, so I still have a lot to learn about their care :-)

• Patrick888
    15 years ago

Daffodillady, many people have to water brugs daily - sometimes at least twice a day - in hot weather. Dats come mostly from hot, dry environments, so don't require as much water. As you noted, container-grown plants usually need more watering than those grown in the ground.

Patrick

• calvert_2008
    15 years ago

Luzi and Rigo.
    Right now I have all the plants on my deck. A few have had blooms and they have been sold. Please give me some info as to uploading pictures and I will be glad to send some.
    You can email me at scoot3113@aol.com and I can send them that way
    Calvert

• buddy100
    15 years ago

I tried the link to locate seeds for the purple double plants, but got no where. Can someone help me locate some seeds? I would love to get some. I have many plants, but have never gotten seed pods from any of them, only flowers. When the blooms are spent, then they fall off and that's it, no pods. Thanks for your help.

• sibhskylvr
    15 years ago

Wow!! Talk about an udated thread! rofl! Buddy - email me your address & I'll send you some Datura seeds!

Mike

{{gwi:574911}}
    {{gwi:456005}}

{{gwi:456006}}
    {{gwi:456007}}
    {{gwi:574914}}

{{gwi:456008}}

{{gwi:574899}}
    {{gwi:574901}}
    {{gwi:574902}}
    {{gwi:456014}}

{{gwi:574903}}
    {{gwi:574904}}

{{gwi:574905}}
    {{gwi:574907}}

{{gwi:574908}}

• aj7731
    14 years ago

I brought these also thinking they were what you folks call brugs. However when I received the seeds the package said Datura, Devils Trumpets. I did grow it and it is beautiful and brought to my wife who is not well.

Can anyone tell me if the Dat is a perenial or an annual?

THanks God Bless

• karyn1
    14 years ago

Hi AJ,
    Depending on the variety most would be grown as annuals in your zone but many readily self seed.

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

oh my gosh I need to either stop drinking wine or pay more attention to the DATE of the first message in a thread. roflmao
    Just now I thought when I started to read this thread...oh my gosh SO MANY new members rofl.

Nothing changed much...Dats are still Dats and Brugs are still Brugs.

And I should be in bed instead of being here lol]
    Lucy

• lady_e
    14 years ago

I recently moved into a new home, and transported a datura in the bed of my pickup truck to the new place. Our new place is only 1 mile from our old place, and the only bad thing that happened was that some of the leaves wrapped themselves around the stems of a hibiscus that was riding alongside it. These leaves are now curled up on themselves, and have turned black. Should I cut these leaves off, or will that stress the plant out too much? Also, how much pruning does a datura require?

• marymargaret_millie
    14 years ago

We have 6 pods on our Purple Angel Trumpet and we're not sure how to plant these. Can anyone help us? We don't know if we need to dry them or just plant them. Our plants love it in Houston, TX!
    Thanks
    Mary Margaret and Paul

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

Lady e I have a single white Datura I trim back constantly and take off bug damaged leaves.

So far so good.

But trimming back a purple one, I would not do. But I do take off bad leaves also.

mary Margaret once the pods pop open...there will be tons of seeds in there. So if you don't mind having seedlings pop up every where, snip them off before they pop open.

If the seed pod is ripe, I do not see why you should have to wait to plant them.

Welcome to the forum by the way

Lucy

• HU-888954794
    3 years ago

yes, I have a double headed purple angel trumpet. I grew mine in a pot from a seed, and then planted in ground when it was bigger. They are beautiful, but I am now having a problem with the leaves, so far I haven't seen anything that looks like my leaf problem, so I am trying to find out from anyone so the plant doesn't die.

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21