Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gottahosta

OT- not good timing!

gottahosta
14 years ago

I have a broken finger. My left pinkie, difficult to type! Can't do much. Everytime i bump............ well, it is the stubbed toe syndrome, only my with my hand.

I felt sorry for my alpha male dachhund Thurs. night, temps into the low 20's, so brought him inside. He challenged Maggie, my son's pittbull within 30 seconds, and i got between them, Shadow bit me, and snapped my pinkie like a chicken bone. Aside from the pain,which faded as I went into shock, I took one look at my finger and said- that just ain't right! Looked dislocated or worse! Hospital Emergency room in the wee hours of Friday morning, temporarily patched it up, saw doctor yesterday for a reassuring consult but no operation. Maybe not for a week or two. It has to be done by a plastic surgeon, and he is out of town, back this Wed. Another consult then, then we will know when I will get "fixed"!!!

I am gonna have to have help sending out the rest of the seed packets I promised folks. And the few boxes of brugs i promised, too. Sorry for the delay but who would have thought that one little broken pinkie would cause so much trouble!! It is gonna be a different kind of Christmas this year. Rather humbling!

So, early Merry Christmas to all my dear friends here on the brug forum. I will keep daily touch with forum but less input than ever. I will certainly be here in spirit!

Many hugs, Brenda

Comments (26)

• PKponder TX Z7B
    14 years ago

Ah, Brenda, that must be painful! Be careful and try to keep it elevated. My gosh, we use our hands for everything!

Pam

• karyn1
    14 years ago

Ouch! Sorry that happened. It's interesting that your dachshund was the aggressor with a pit bull but glad to hear that it was only your finger breaking up a dog fight. Why a plastic surgeon instead of a hand surgeon? A hand job combines the best of an orthopod and a plastic surgeon. Are you anywhere near Emory? I hope you are fixed up soon.

• eloise_ca
    14 years ago

Brenda, I feel for you. Just when you were starting to feel better, now this happens! For your sake, I hope Weds. comes around quickly, and the fixing will be immediate instead of having to go on a different time for that. I am sure I speak for everyone, please don't worry about seeds, packages, etc. You need to take it easy, and work towards learning how to function without using your pinkie for now.

• chena
    14 years ago

YIKES Brenda! that is terrible... I hope they can get you fixed up quickly.. Keep those pain meds close..
    Eloise is right.. You need to take care of yourself the seeds can wait..I wish I was close I would come and help you.âºâº

Kylie

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

my dear friend, as I was searching for a animation to tell you how sorry I am that you got a broken finger because you felt sorry for your dachshund....and that you are back in not feeling on top of the world...I found this:
    {{gwi:584933}}
    I am sure it is meant for a heart to be broken by a loved one...BUT......here it is...for YOU lol

Hugs and hope you will be fixed back to the way you were before that terrible moment in your eventful life :-)

Lucy

• haase
    14 years ago

Au weia, Brenda! That hurts!
    Just don't let them make you wait too long to have it fixed.
    I hope you'll be OK again soon!

Ingrid

• figara
    14 years ago

Oh Brenda I am so sorry you have to go through pain and discomfort when you were started to feel better. Hope the doctor will fix your finger soon and the pain will go away.
    Hugs,
    Pat

• jillybean1977
    14 years ago

Oh no Brenda, so sorry you are in pain. I agree with Karyn...if you can use a hand surgeon not a plastic surgeon.

Jill

• knotz
    14 years ago

Oh Brenda!!!...Ouchy...Prayers it all gets fixed up right for you!!

knotz

• gottahosta
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, my friends, you all kissed my oweee!! I feel better now.
    Kylie, you beter believe the pain meds are close to hand, no pun intended!

Off to see our local HS football team play for State in the Georgia Dome in Atlanta! I won't miss this for a broken pinkie! Root for our team!

~Brenda

• beachplant
    14 years ago

Ouch! Get well soon.

The hand surgeons and the plastic surgeons usually will share call, so you might get ortho one night and plastic surgery the next. They should be equally qualified, both train in hands.

Tally HO!

• fool4flowers
    14 years ago

Well I guess its a good thing I was delayed sending your things still. So sorry about your hand. My little dog is always the aggressor too with big dogs. I can only imagine the pain you are in. Hugs for you. I did have to laugh when Karyn said you needed a hand job. I have a dirty mind, lol. I'll hang onto the plants til you are better. The corkscrew vine is rooted so I'll pot it up. I forgot to collect the seeds that were getting ripe. I guess they froze but I'll check tomorrow. If they were ready maybe they will still be ok. Haven't been outside since my surgery to check on freeze damage. That will be tomorrows task. Hope you had a good time at the game.

• karyn1
    14 years ago

Tally I agree that both ortho and plastics are qualified but a hand surgeon has significantly more knowledge and experience. They are usually orthopedic surgeons with an additional fellowship and are board certified by the ABOS in hand surgery. That being said a board certified ortho or plastic surgeon is fine unless it's a complex injury.

• jillybean1977
    14 years ago

My brother had to have hand surgery a couple of years ago. In the ER they recomended a hand surgeon because he severed a tendon. His hand is fine now.

Jill

• gardenpaw
    14 years ago

Oh my Brenda that had to hurt!!
    Im so sorry to hear that, I hope your able to get it all
    fixed and feeling better.

Karen

• kasha77
    14 years ago

Oh Brenda!
    I am so sorry that your finger got injured! Isn't it amazing that we don't even think twice about getting in between 2 loved pets when they are fighting! I did it too- & still have the scars on my forearm. Anyway- you just get better- I'll be praying that your finger will be as good as new- & that the pain goes away!
    hugs~
    kasha77

• honeybunny2 Fox
    14 years ago

Brenda, I hope your finger is doing better. Its so hard to do anything when your finger is broken. You keep hitting it on everything. I also have a mini dachshund that thinks he a lion.

• pagrdnr
    14 years ago

Sorry about you finger being hurt Brenda!

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

Yeah Brenda...how is it going? I sure hope it is relief in sight so you can work and come and have fun again.

Hugs
    Lucy

• gottahosta
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi, thanks for all the support! Still need to see the Dr on Wed. then, perhaps (finally) reconstructive surgery- yes, there may be tendon damage. I'm gonna keep the success your brother had, Jill, in mind for my own recovery, thanks for those encouraging words.

Thank goodness for pain pills, too! LOL!!!

Hugs, Brenda

• karyn1
    14 years ago

Better living thru chemicals : ) Hope everything goes well on Wed.

• chena
    14 years ago

YES Chemistry is a thing of Beauty!!LOL Be sure to let us know what they plan on doing!! Thinking about ya!!

Kylie

• jillybean1977
    14 years ago

Yes Brenda, let us know what happens. My bro is left handed and it was his left hand that was injured. If was very hard for him to keep the bandages clean. You use your hand for everything. After the surgery he had therapy on his hand. Good thing it's cold out because there will be no gardening for you for a bit. Good Luck!

Jill

• fool4flowers
    14 years ago

Thanks goodness for meds or I would have too much pain to garden and not nearly as many plants thanks to taking them and then getting on ebay late at night, lol. My latest ones are carnivorous. They are doing a good job on the fungus gnats. I need more of them, lol.

• figara
    14 years ago

Brenda , how was your doctor appt today? When your pinkie will be fixed? Keep us posted if you can. Thinking about you.
    Hugs
    Pat

• haase
    14 years ago

OK Brenda. What's up?
    Ingrid