Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn1_gw

We lucked out last night

karyn1
14 years ago

Yippee, no ice storm. I thought it was going to be a real mess because it started icing around 8 last night then changed to snow and back to ice. I kept waiting for the power to go out but it all changed to rain a bit after midnight. The rain is pretty bad and there's a number of areas of flooding but that beats the damage that ice would have caused. It's actually fairly warm now, near 50 and the sun isn't even up yet. I can't imagine how bad this would have been if it hadn't changed over to rain. Of course the kids are bummed. They went to bed thinking there would be no school or at least a 2 hr delay this morning. I hope they did their homework!

Comments (19)

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

lol Karyn...for the kids and the homework.

So glad you did not have to go to the hotel that early in the season already!

Drive safely...I hate ice covered by snow .....maybe?!

Lucy

• eloise_ca
    14 years ago

Glad the weather changed a bit for you Karyn. Not being used to icy roads, I would probably drive too fast and get into trouble. Yep, hope the kids did their homework, LOL!

• taz56
    14 years ago

Glad things went well for you, hope it stays warm,
    I don't care much for the ice, because most folks
    down my way have no clue when it comes to driving
    but I wouldn't mind a little snow around Christmas!
    It's suppose to be 78 today and 54 tommorrow crazy
    weather! Take care!
    Susan

• PKponder TX Z7B
    14 years ago

I'm glad it warmed up and the kids are going to school! ;-)

Be careful in the rain.

Pam

• chena
    14 years ago

That is Great looks you Yanks are in for a rough few days!! Stay Warm and be Safe if you have to get out!!âºâº

Kylie

• haase
    14 years ago

I thought we had a deal. I did MY part: Stop-the-icestorm-dance"!
    Ingrid

• karyn1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I guess my dance wasn't as good as yours. Sorry!

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

Ingrid we are still dancing...for CA it seems it takes a longer dance

Lucy

• chena
    14 years ago

My HIP hurts!!ROFLMAO âºâº

• napdognewfie
    14 years ago

It started around 6pm here. We got about 6 or 7" & then in rained & sleeted & flattened it all out. The roads were covered & it was slippery. DS dented the door on DH's truck when he slid off the road but was able to pop it back out so it's OK. The main roads are all dry now & the back roads aren't bad either.

Linda

• mantorvillain
    14 years ago

Hate to tell you but it appears you've got more coming your way. I shoveled and abused my poor little snowblower from 9 til 4 (with lots of breaks and finally a good nap before the last session) to get the drifts and 'donations' left by the plows in my driveway cleared. We had 10+ inches at 8am and it snowed most of the day. Maybe it'll have left the majority with us before it gets out your way....fat chance, hunh?
    Good luck and glad you missed the ice anyhow.
    Will

• fool4flowers
    14 years ago

I don't know how you all do it. I'm frozen solid already. Would never survive the north. If I had to shovel snow I would hibernate til spring but I seem to be doing that here too, lol.

• wickedwickedwitch
    14 years ago

My friends back in Buffalo said that they are expecting 60 MPH winds tonight. Arg!

• kasha77
    14 years ago

Hey WWW- That's where I was born- Buffalo! There was a blizzard there in 1977- It took 3 days to get home- with the driving ban & all, normally it would be a 20 minute ride....I was 17- the snow reached up to the top of the telephone lines, covering houses... it was really cool to be snowed in for 2 weeks! We actually went a little stir crazy - driving our snow mobiles over areas where our cars were buried, 12 feet deep! Maybe you're all too young to remember that?
    Sure do miss the white stuff.... (NOT!)
    kasha77

• karyn1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It's still kind of warm here but the wind has picked up. What a difference between Linda's and my weather conditions but she's up near the mountains. We don't get much severe weather. Thank goodness because the last two times we were snowed in for extended periods of time I ended up with a baby 9 months later!!!

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

you are really funny this morning ha ha ha ha

Lucy

• haase
    14 years ago

ditto

• napdognewfie
    14 years ago

I guess we're mostly used to it. It snows & then it melts & snow some more. We shovel & go stand in long lines at the market for bread & milk the day before a storm is predicted. Winter treads go on the vehicles in Oct & come off in April. We keep kerosene heaters & lamps for when the elect goes off. I live next to a snow emergency route so my road gets plowed constantly & kept fairly clean. The plow always comes right after you shoveled & fills the driveway in again & you have to shovel again so it doesn't freeze into a solid chunk of ice. I think it was 77 when we had a good storm that closed down Frostburg (aptly named town a few miles further up the mountain from me) for 2 weeks. We were back to normal about a week before them. We don't get as much snow as we used to. but when you're shoveling, it seems like twice as much. LOL

Linda

• figara
    14 years ago

I had so much fun reading your posts. Karen, watch out for the next snow !!!

Pat

Sponsored
Velero Deck Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Source for High-End Custom Decks & Outdoor Structures