Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn1_gw

OT: I got an interesting invitation

karyn1
14 years ago

DH informed me yesterday that we've been invited to an open house at the White House Thursday nite. Regardless of feelings about how the current administration is doing I'm really excited. We get invites to some embassy parties during the holiday season but this is a first for the White House.

Comments (59)

• haase
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

This is really cool. I've never "come across", let alone corresponded, or met, anyone who got invited to the White House. I doubt if you can bring a camera.
    The thing about the jeans, - that was a joke, right?
    Have fun!
    Ingrid.

• karyn1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I think if I would have said yes Bruce would have worn jeans. He lives in jeans and hates getting dressed. He owns a tuxedo, one suit and a couple sports coats which I replace annually. I think he's only worn the suit for weddings and funerals and don't believe he's put on a sports coat in over a year. lol Completely opposite of me. I love getting dressed up and am a compulsive shopper. lol

• rock_oak_deer
    14 years ago

Karyn, That's great that you have an invitation to what is sure to be a great evening. The White House is always beautiful and especially gorgeous at the holidays.

Have a great time and we'll look forward to a full report on all the greenery.

• siam_cannas
    14 years ago

OMG i think it is super. You should totally get all glammed up for the party, im sure u'll have your pic taken!!!

• jumpin4joy
    14 years ago

Maybe you can give the first lady some tips for her garden. The heck with the stuffy house. Id sneak out back and get some cuttings. LOL Brandy

• fool4flowers
    14 years ago

I must be feeling better when you said interesting invitation I was thinking sweat slicked Pedro digging new flower beds or something involving oil in a hot tub, lol. I need to go back to bed. That sounds fun too. I would go in a heartbeat.

• taz56
    14 years ago

What an honor to get invited to the White House!
    It would tickle me pink, just because of the
    history, now that's awesome! ENJOY YOURSELF!
    Susan

• beachplant
    14 years ago

How exciting!! Tomorrow night! I don't think I would be able to sleep. Take a lot of pics and tell us every detail! You're gonna have so much fun.
    Tally HO!

• gardenpaw
    14 years ago

Wow! what an awesome opportunity!
    Go and have lots of fun!!

Karen

• wickedwickedwitch
    14 years ago

If you have blond hair, do NOT wear an Indian sari.

• karyn1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I shouldn't be a party crasher? lol That couple was really stupid. Now everything in their lives has been put under a microscope and all kinds of stuff is coming out, especially irregularieties having to do with their finances. Was attending a state dinner really worth it????

I can bring my camera but not a camera case or a purse or any kind of "bag". I guess DH's pockets are going to be stuffed with lipstick and the like. lol

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

ha ha ha Karyn...hope he got deep pockets. I can see HIM being frisked (sp?)

The things (wrong things) people do and go through to end up in the spotlight or the news :-(

All I want is for you to have a super time...you hear lol

Lucy

• sekhment
    14 years ago

hey Karyn how did it go ?

• haase
    14 years ago

I'm waiting for a report, with my tongue hanging out.
    Hope you had the greatest time!
    Ingrid

• figara
    14 years ago

Hey Karen, today is the DAY !!! Are you ready?

Have a super duper time!

Pat

• karyn1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I still haven't decided what to wear. I went shopping this morning but am not sure I like either of the things I bought but I did get my nails done. lol I hope the kids know where their school ID's are because I don't. Kyle doesn't have a photo ID and I hope that's not a problem but what ID would a 5 yr old have if they don't have a passport?

• karyn1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It was interesting but kind of a disappointment because you couldn't wander much. Except for the rooms that the event was held in you couldn't go anywhere. Obviously you can't get near the living area but I've seen more of the White House on a private tour. I'd call the decorations kind of Victorian, maybe traditional, not much to my liking, but I'd bet that other areas were decorated in a much more contemporary style. I also would have liked to walk around the grounds but that was definitely a big no no except for the entrance and a couple doors that opened into courtyards. Not much color outside, mainly white lights, lots and lots of white lights. Besides that it was COLD outside!!!!!!! There were so many security people, some obvious, in uniform and others not so obvious. I didn't see anyone I recognized except for the one that invited us. POTUS was in Oslo and I think it was his helicopter landing shortly before we left. After a few hours Kyle had enough and was getting cranky. That was not the place I wanted him to have a meltdown. lol I'll upload pics later today. I have to try and wake Kyle up for school.

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

OH you know...I thought when the OH is, POTUS would BE THERE. then when I heard the news when he got back and thinking...did I mix up YOUR date. Well Kyle SHOULD have melted down there lol

Where there LOTS of folks?

Looking forward to see the pictures.

Kyle could always stay home and say hey, I was at the WH and it wore me out lol Can you imagine living there? I would travel to other countries too ha ha ha just kidding and hope you get the joke lol

Lucy

• karyn1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

We weren't really allowed to wander anywhere except the room that held the event. I'd say there were about 75 people but I'm not great at judging numbers, especially in a big room. This is the room where we were, not sure what it was called. The music was just a string quartet and for some reason anytime myself or someone else tried to take a pic someone would conveniently block the shot. Actually it seemed that a lot of the pics were blocked by someone walking by at just the right moment, odd???

{{gwi:585477}}
    {{gwi:585478}}

A couple Christmas trees. We didn't even see the tree in front of the WH. All the trees and shrubs around the outside were covered in these white lights like this little one in the last pic.

{{gwi:585479}}
    {{gwi:585481}}
    {{gwi:585482}}

A few decorations on the way to the room.

{{gwi:585484}}
    {{gwi:585485}}
    {{gwi:585486}}
    {{gwi:585487}}
    {{gwi:585488}}

The ginger bread WH replica was kind of interesting.

{{gwi:585489}}
    {{gwi:585491}}

It was freezing outside and that's where the most lights were but I was too cold to stay outside and take pics but did get a couple of DH and the kids. Obviously DH and the kids refused to dress up. DH said he was told that it was casual and the only concession he would make was that he wouldn't wear jeans. Yes they were somewhat under dressed but some of the others were equally casual. This was just before Kyle melted down. You can see it in his eyes and jake just didn't want to be there period. lol

{{gwi:585493}}
    {{gwi:585495}}

One thing that was kind of weird was the way they took such an interest in my inhaler. I had it in my coat pocket. They spent an awful lot of time looking at it. I was going to ask if they thought it contained ricin instead of albuterol but held my tongue.

• eloise_ca
    14 years ago

Karyn, you have a very beautiful family. I like the Christmas trees! Did they play Christmas music?

• karyn1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm not really sure if it was Xmas or chamber music, guess I wasn't paying attention but I'm guessing it must have been Xmas music. That's definitely not the most flattering pic I've taken of them and they'd probably kill me if they knew I posted it. Ya think my oldest needs a haircut! That's one of the battles I just can't fight right now. If he wants to look like a Puli (Hungarian Sheep Dog), let him. LOL

Here is a link that might be useful: Puli

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

roflmao I think your son would me more offended if he knew you compare him to a Puli rofl

Thanks for sharing the pictures. I would think for a Open house WITHOUT the POTUS there...there really is no need to dress up.

I am with everyone...you have a beautiful family and funny about the inhaler. I ONECE made a joke at the airport LOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time ago before all went sour....that sure...I wrapped a bomb in the package....well poor guy got searched from top to bottom lol

There are just times I learned...it is wise to hold your tongue lol

Lucy

• jillybean1977
    14 years ago

Karyn, enhjoyed the pictures very much. You do have a lovely family. Christmas trees are pretty and loved the gingerbread house. Wonder who made it?

Jill

• haase
    14 years ago

Thank you Karyn, that was interesting! Did you get something to eat, snacks or so? What did you end up wearing?

I can imagine what happened when they detected your inhaler.
    I had problems taking my CPAP machine (breathing machine for sleep apnea) on an airplane. Jeeeeee, the fuss!!

You have a great family, including the Puli.
    Ingrid

• karyn1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ingrid I have problems when I take my nebulizer and I always take it in my carry on. I don't trust checking it in my baggage. The pastery chef at the WH made the ginger bread house.

• figara
    14 years ago

Karyn, thanks for the pictures. I was looking forward to see them. Which one was the room where the event took place?

Your family is lovely. I do not mind your son's hair, he will come around .He got it after you? My son used to wear long hair and now he cuts it sooo short.
    Pat

• fool4flowers
    14 years ago

Cool pics Karyn. Thanks for sharing. I love Jakes hair. Its beautiful and I wish it was growing on my head, lol. At least it looks well kept. Long hair on a guy doesn't look bad if they take care of it. The scraggly long hair is what looks bad. You have a lovely family. Surprised they didn't take your inhaler, lol. Poor Kyle did look cranky in that pic.

• karyn1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I just wore a black pant suit. Jake has his father's hair but Bruce's was even curlier when he was a kid. Jake's computer (Facebook?) name is Jewfro. lol Actually they both had straight hair until puberty. Jake literally woke up one morning with curly hair and a deep voice. It freaked me out so that I called the pediatrician! lol My hair is naturally curly but nothing like that. I wonder if the same thing will happen to Kyle? Madi has slightly curly hair too but she straightens it. Jake doesn't photograph well. He's really cute (I still think he needs a haircut!) and has girls calling/texting at all hours. The girls are so aggressive now, so different then when I was his age. I'm not saying that I was an angel, far from it, but these girls can be scary!

The event was held in the room in the first pics. It was all dessert type food, no alcohol : ( Kyle definitely had a sugar rush going on for a while.

• eloise_ca
    14 years ago

That's a great name "Jewfro". Karyn, among all that hair, which I like, we can see he is a cutie! Too funny about you calling the pediatrician!

• chena
    14 years ago

I LOVE Puli's!! A dog with dreads ...Can you imagine trying to get a burr out of that!!LMAO.. Your son is very hansom hair and all.. We like big hair in Texas... ;O)
    You have a beautiful Family!!!

Kylie

• rock_oak_deer
    14 years ago

So glad you had a great time and your family is beautiful. You were in the State Dining Room.

• gardenpaw
    14 years ago

Karyn, thank you for sharing your pictures, you have a
    beautiful family!

karen

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    14 years ago

Karyn,

We had a great time at the WH party years ago. My wife was working with the National Security Council so we got an invite. Food was great, orchestra was grand. Politics aside, it's always fun to see how the 'other' folks live!

{{gwi:585496}}

{{gwi:585497}}

{{gwi:585499}}

• chena
    14 years ago

Very Cool Dave!!!☺☺

Kylie

• haase
    14 years ago

Oh wow. You even got to see the POTUS, something to remember for sure. Thanks for sharing.

Dave, OT - you wouldn't happen to be related to Alton Brown?
    He's one of my favorites.

Ingrid.

• jillybean1977
    14 years ago

Great pictures Dave. Bet you'll treasure those pix forever!

Jill

14 years ago

Ingrid. LOL, not that I know of!

Karyn, we want to see more pics!

dave

• gardenpaw
    14 years ago

Wonderful pictures and a wonderful memory!
    Thank you for sharing Dave!

Karen

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

Dave now let me show THESE to hubby. He will be even more impressed :-)

those pictures look so professional ....who took them?

Lucy

• PKponder TX Z7B
    14 years ago

Karyn, you have a really nice looking family! Kyle did look a bit grumpy in the first pic, but he is young and how long can we really expect a youngster to be on his best behavior? :-)

Dave, nice pics with the W :-) I love the little flocked tree decorations on the table!

Pam

• figara
    14 years ago

WOW ! 2 people from the forum were invited to WH, am impressed.
    Dave, very nice pictures.
    Karyn, did you have similar food arrangements?

Pat

• karyn1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Dave what great pics! Did you meet anyone besides Bush? This was nothing like that. When your children are invited you know it's not going to be anything sophisticated. lol Pat it was all sweets, not to my liking but the kids enjoyed it. I didn't really take that many pics. There wasn't a whole lot to photograph and I had no idea who any of the people were that were there except for the one that invited us. I might have ended up taking pics of Joe the plumber. lol I've been to more impressive affairs at the French and Netherlands embassy holiday parties.

Bruce did mention that I was disappointed that I didn't get to see more. I wasn't trying to sound ungrateful but I really would have enjoyed seeing the "flower shop". That's the reason for our connection to begin with. And believe it or not I really wanted to see the main kitchen (ok I'm weird lol) and the West Wing. Most of the other areas I've seen on a tour. Bruce said that arrangements would be made for me to at least visit the flower shop. It's not a "shop" but there are 3 full time designers and a floral studio in the WH.

• haase
    14 years ago

Yes, yesss! Have them make arrangements for you to see the flower shop. And TAKE PICTURES!
    You ARE weird, LOL. Why do you want to see a kitchen like that? It will be huge, and professional, and unpersonal, and a dozen people working in it. Well, to each his own. You must have a good reason, if it is not just curiosity.
    And I'm sure you'll have lots of fun.

Ingrid

14 years ago

Karyn,

I would imagine the kitchen would have to be VERY secure. Still though, it's cool to see all the portraits of Presidents and First Ladies. Most very famous portraits.

Well, if there were any 'famous' people there besides the Bushes, I would not have recognized them. I'm sure it was mostly administrative staff and their families. No one like Oprah or anything!

Food was great though. Lots of fresh FIGS and oysters, both of which I love but rarely get.

• wickedwickedwitch
    14 years ago

Sounds like a grand night.

• jillybean1977
    14 years ago

Karen and Dave, beside the pictures did you take home any souvenirs?

14 years ago

Yes, my wife and I stuffed our pockets full of Barney and Miss Beazley Scottie Dog cookies!

• fool4flowers
    14 years ago

Lol I can see them pilfering the ornaments off the trees and getting arrested by secret service for trying to take home souvenirs, lol. I would have been pinching plant cuttings.

• karyn1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

There were little White House shaped cookies but the kids ate them. Kristy why would I take cuttings? All the plants and flowers come from DH to begin with. lol

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

Karyn roflmao

Kristy surely meant for US lol

Lucy