Return to the Brugmansia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Datura from year-old seeds?

Posted by Strixaluco none (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 10, 12 at 8:16

Hey all, I have a couple of matured, dehisced Datura seed pods that I collected last Nov or Dec from some plants growing wild along a creek bank. I left most of the pods there and planned to go back this year and grab a few more, as I kind of like the way they look displayed in bottles, but after 3-4 years of finding them in roughly the same spot, the plants were gone. :( I'm assuming it had something to do with the summer drought, but who knows. At any rate, I'm wondering now if I'd be able to grow my own plants from the seeds I have currently, or are they too old? If not, any recommendations on how/when to germinate and plant? (I'm in zone 5.) Thanks for your input!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Datura from year-old seeds?

I have grown several from 2-3 year old seed, so yes it is possible. However, these were harvested after the pod had burst and laid out to dry. If they have stayed sealed up in a moist pod, i would say that it is very doubtful, but it really wouldn't hurt to try.

o

i have several different color seed from last year and before.in south louisiana, when can i plant my seed?had my mom for two years and couldn't get out to play in dirt.can;t remember when to plant anything,thanks

o

I have grown some from 4 yr old seed. The germination rate goes down every year but still viable if kept cool and dry.
Woodsgranny, you can start your datura seed now in the house and then set out after your last frost...can't remember now when that was in LA (March?).
I also have left datura seed out over winter in pots and some that had fell out of the pods onto the ground and it sowed itself and came up in the spring.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Brugmansia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here