Return to the Brugmansia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dr Seuss, not doing so well...

Posted by Cygnwulf 7b DFW (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 10, 13 at 9:41

It's been a bit cold lately, hasn't it? I was wondering if anyone might be able to help me with my Brug.

I have a Dr Seuss Brugmansia that's in a pot right now that I just got late this summer. It's about 3 feet tall and in a 12" pot, I planned on potting it up or putting it in the ground in the spring. Since it's been so cold lately, it's been spending almost as much time indoors as out, but when it's inside, it's sharing a sunny window with my Lisbon lemon tree (which is blooming like mad right now, making my house smell nice.)

The poor sad brug baby, though, has gotten kind of pale yellow, and has dropped most of it's lower leaves, (It kinda looks almost like a palm tree right now), though it has some tiny little leaves at the scars where the big ones dropped, and some more at the bases of the remaining leaves. It hasn't forked yet. I have been giving it occasional drinks of half strength miracle grow (about every three weeks), and substituting fish emulsion sometimes when it's outside (that smelly stuff is hard to use indoors) and it's soil moisture has been pretty average, I'm not letting water stand in the saucer and I'm letting the pot get lighter before re-watering.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dr Seuss, not doing so well...

I think what your plant is experiencing is normal. It's slowing down due to lack of ideal conditions. The leaf coloring and drop is typical. Many of us keep them just alive during the winter and don't expect a stellar looking/acting plant. I wouldn't fertilize until I saw new growth in Spring and water sparingly.

o

Okay, Thank you for putting my mind at ease. Should I prune it at any point or just let it go till next year? I know it's growth is a little stunted because of the size of the pot, I plan on potting it up in to a larger one in the spring.

o

If you have the room, I would put him in the ground. I have had one inground since 2005, and he comes back each year with a multi-trunk tree.................Love this brug, and if I could have only ONE, it would be this one. Spring isn't that far away so just keep him okay until then, and plant him out..................you won't be sorry.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Brugmansia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here