Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn1_gw

Seed mats for bottom heat

karyn1
12 years ago

I don't know how many folks here use seed mats for starting seeds but found a very good deal and thought I'd pass it on. I didn't want to schlep my commercial 6' x 3' mat inside and I already have a few single tray size mats and wanted something bigger. I found mats made by Ultratherm (for reptile cages) and sold by an Amazon vendor named The Bean Farm. I got an 11" x 35" mat for $30 and they have other sizes available.

Comments (6)

• kayjones
    12 years ago

Karyn, can you please post a direct link to these? Thanks!

• karyn1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Direct link. Look under heating.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Bean Farm

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    12 years ago

That is a very good deal. I have a reptile mat from Zoomed that is way smaller and cost more than that. It has lasted quite awhile now but a larger one would be nice.
    I also had 2 heat mats from Hydrofarm that burnt out after about a year so don't really want to get anymore of those.
    The Ultratherm mats that are 11 x 35 would be about perfect for my plant/seed starting shelves.

• kasha77
    12 years ago

I bought the Flexwatt heat tape, 12' of it for around $70.00. It's been a life saver for me. Love it!

• karyn1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I use heating cables under the tables in the GH and that's a much more economical way to go but I can't use them in the house. Do you use the tape in your house or the GH?

I've had a few Hydrofarm mats that have proven to be pretty low quality and another whose maker I can't remember that's marginally better. My commercial heavy rubber mat is at least 8 years old and works great but takes up so much space. I don't need 18 sq ft of bottom heat inside but did want more space then the average mat had. These Ultratherms came in a nice range of sizes and so far I'm really happy with it. The heaters made for reptile cages seem to be a better quality then the ones made by Hydrofarm and the like. I have a few small heat mats in my gecko cages and haven't replaced them in 7 years. BTW the Ultrathem mats are a few dollars less expensive when you go thru Amazon as opposed to going directly to the Bean Farm. I paid $30 and the same size is $33 direct.

• kasha77
    12 years ago

I used the heat tape in my basement. Helped alot! Never thought of going through Amazon or Ebay!

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville