Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lovetogrowflowers

done it again :-( cut back a brug to early i guess. seeping sap

lovetogrowflowers
12 years ago

As soon as frost hit one night and killed off my brug I went ahead and cut it back to the ground. That was like at the end of October or first of November. And of course it started seeping sap and as of today it still hasn't stopped.

It's in ground and we've been getting plenty of rain as well. last time this happened it was one in a pot, and the only way I got it to stop was stop watering and cover cuts with powder.

This one though is driving me mad. It's running down the 5 short stalks left and has caused the bark to start peeling away from constantly being moist I assume. Each night snails are all over it. I've tried baby powder, fingernail polish, and even went as far as putting caulking on the tips (lol) Yeah, I'm sure a bad idea. It's slowed down, but the sap always seems to find a little crack to seep through.

This brug did so well this past summer. Will this seeping ever stop? What is causing it to seep so long? Is there anything I can do? Final question, If by some crazy chance that this doesn't stop before spring will it just kill my brug?

Any advice? Should I do another clean cut and cut off all that mess I've put on and see if it'll cure itself? HELP!!!!

Comments (2)