Return to the Brugmansia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brug cuttings in water crystals

Posted by maile-2010 4 Central MN. (jslsfish4u@clearwire.net) on
Tue, Dec 7, 10 at 11:24

Another aBrug cuttings in water crystalsttempt to post a pic.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brug cuttings in water crystals

• Posted by chena z8 Texas (My Page) on
    Tue, Dec 7, 10 at 11:34

Good Job!! You've got it!!

o

maile-2010
They look happy, now if they will make it to spring and summer you will have many moments of pride and satisfaction. I have never tried water crystals just plain water with a little miricle grow or putting them in potting soil. Keep on posting now that you have it figured out, we love pics.
pa

o

It finally worked. Glad I could help. I use the water crystals for shipping tender cuttings long distances. I had been using it to start large seeds but stopped and I don't use it for rooting. I don't buy water crystals but take the filling from disposable diapers. It appears to be pretty much the same stuff. If it works well for your cuttings you might conside trying diapers. I'd bet they are a lot less expensive. Here's a post about it from last year.

Here is a link that might be useful: water crystals

o

Karyn,
The deal with water crystals is they can be used over and over for about 3-5 years. Put the expanded crystals in a strainer and rinse them off under the craft room faucet.
When you are done using them, spead them out on styrofoam and let them dry to be used another day.
The crystals I use when they are expanded for cuttings are the size of a pencil eraser. I use smaller crystals for all my hanging baskets. Less watering.
I have no luck in getting tender cuttings to root what ever method I use.
I have a 90 percent success rate when rooting cuttings. The 10 percent loss are those small diameter green tip cuttings. I try to avoid them. Never come across a need to root them.

o

I try to avoid soft green brug cuttings. They do best in soil for me but even then the success rate isn't great.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Brugmansia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here