Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moonie_57

Long time no see! And lots of gripes

moonie_57 (8 NC)
14 years ago

It's been a long time since I have popped in here so hope everyone enjoyed their fall glory with tons of brug blooms! Thanks to some of you, I had so many flowers and really enjoyed this past year in the garden. But...(ok, here it goes!)

I've been laid off from work... again... until spring. And my 9/yo grandson is living with us. So, with an extra mouth to feed and a dog on medication, I have decided not to heat my greenhouse this winter. Luckily I had taken some brug cuttings and have them in the BOB inside the house. But, I'm pretty sure all my potted brugs that are in the gh will be goners! waaah! Some of them had I pruned quite low, others I didn't prune, just stripped the leaves. Yeah, all those I have taken cuttings of so they can be replaced but I have two plumeria that bloomed for the first time this past summer. I'm sure they're toast! double waaah! On top of that, I spent all fall begging the good Lord to please not allow my orinoco banana to bloom... please, oh please dear Lord, let it wait till spring! So, obviously he listened but now I'm worried also about that particular banana. It was simply dug up out of the ground and just plopped on the gh floor. Meant to take care of it before now, then decided not to heat the gh so figured it wouldn't make it with exposed roots so I haven't bothered. Fish tail palm, fox tail palm, majesty's and bottle's... beyond damaged! And it's only the end of December! Here in coastal NC, we've had colder than average weather already. We'll see what I have left come spring!

Anyhow, Happy New Year to you all!

Comments (8)

• karyn1
    14 years ago

Sorry to hear about your being laid off. As for your potted brugs they should be fine in an unheated greenhouse. I'd best that most, if not all will come back from the roots when it warms up. Just make sure the soil remains pretty dry, maybe a cup or so of water a month depending on the size of the pot. I couldn't tell you about the banana or palms but if you can keep the roots from freezing they might return in the spring as well. Hopefully the New Year will be better one.

• haase
    14 years ago

Happy to meet you (I'm a newbie), and so sorry about all the problems you are facing.
    I believe what Karyn said and wish you good luck with your plants. I also hope and wish for you that the job situation will improve in the new year.
    Happy New Year!

Ingrid

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you, Ingrid. Hope you are enjoying this board. There are so many wonderful, generous peeps here. :)

Karyn - I'm sure hoping that you're right! I was worried that with only a thin pot to protect the roots that the freezing temps would kill them for sure. At least they're inside and protected from rain. I'll be sure to not overwater. thanks

• kasha77
    14 years ago

Moonie! Long time no see! Good to hear from you- chin up- I'm with Karyn- I think your brugs will be fine- if not- let's talk come spring- I have over 100 cuttings of different named varieties starting in my basement, be glad to help my buddy out!
    hugs
    kasha77
    {{gwi:587038}}

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

Moonie I responded but it got deleted :-( I hate to repeat myself lol But I hope that 2010 will be a GREAT Year for you.

Glad you popped in! STAY!! it is a wonderful place to make it through a lot of things

Lucy

• eloise_ca
    14 years ago

moonie, it has been a while and I am glad you came back! Sorry about your job, but prayerfully there is something better for you. Especially, since you've taken in your grandson! Blessing to you home, and Happy New Year!

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    Original Author
    14 years ago

kasha - good to see you, and, oh my goodness! You sure got your brug groove going on, huh? LOL And I just might take you up on that offer come spring. How did your bananas do and other tropical type stuff do?

Lucy - I wondered where you were. You are usually the first one to respond. Glad to see ya! And hope you have a great 2010 also!

eloise - I don't mind being laid off so much, but having warning ahead of time would have helped. I can save money like nobody's business so lay offs usually aren't bad. In fact, they're often a great time to get done those little chores that we always put off. But man, I know kids are expensive, but my GS is like a high maintenance teenage girl. And I've got one of those, too! LOL

Take care, people! I'll be back soon!

• chena
    14 years ago

Hey Moonie!! Nice to see you post ... Welcome Back.. I agree that your brugs will be fine so long as there is no sustained freezing temps... I would go ahead and wrap the Banana crom just for protection.. so long as it is dry!!!
    It will go dormant and come back in Spring..
    Good luck and Blessings for the coming Year!!! Stick around you are missed!!

Kylie

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville