Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rmbill_gw

Brug cutting disaster.

rmbill
12 years ago

I traded for some really good varieties of Brugs this fall but with being so busy, I didn't have the time to give the green cuttings the TLC that they required. All of the hard wood cuttings are doing well but none of the green cuttings made it. I knew how to save them but was hoping that they would root in media without humidity protection. NOT!!! The one that hurts the most is Flame. I was really looking forward to having that one. There were a number of other very nice doubles, also, that would have been real prizes. Oh well, I guess I buy them in the spring. Sorry about being such a whiner.

Bill

Comments (18)

• kayjones
    12 years ago

Bill, put your list of lost cuttings here and if any of us have them, we can email you. You have been more than generous with all of us, so it't time we shared with you. Happy Holidays!

• kasha77
    12 years ago

So sorry for you Bill! I think the beautiful double cuttings you gave me died too. Same thing- too many cuttings to take care of and I lost track of them. To be honest, I don't even know where they might be! If you want to trade, I still have Flame, it's rooting, I'd still love a piece of your unnamed double pink again! LMK!

• rmbill
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Kathy, I gave away all of the cuttings for the unnamed seedling. I will have to start a plant for you in the spring when the plant starts growing again. I will keep in mind that you have Flame.
    It looks like your greenhouse is doing well. Did you cover it with anything? I don't start mine up until March. Even then. my brugs are pretty large when I set them out.
    Bill

• kasha77
    12 years ago

That would be wonderful, Bill. I have a few Flame rooting now and would love a trade. My gh is doing fine. Weather's been in the 30 - 40's at night and 60's daytime, so my heaters can handle these unseasonably warmer temps. They keep my gh from 60 - 80* every day. My brugs are loving it. I can't believe the difference that these conditions, along with sunny days, make, compared to the man made environment of my basement. I've still got cuttings down there, slow but sure, but nothing like those in my gh. I covered the gh with 4 ml UV treated gh poly from the greenhouse mega store. I will also consider getting a clear twin walled bubble wrap for it if it gets colder, although I'm most likely wasting a lot of heat without it. I forget- do you store yours in the basement or in your house? Are you hauling in potted plants, or are they cuttings that you are starting? Merry Christmas Bill!

• eloise_ca
    12 years ago

I learned a while back that I don't do well with small green cuttings. Sometimes I have a bad enough time with larger cuttings, but definitely no good with green tip ends and so will stay away from those. So wonderful to see you two (Kathy and Bill) looking out for each other and trading! Merry Christmas!

• rmbill
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Kathy, I dig up the plants after cutting them to the ground and store them at my machine shop where I keep the temps at 40 nights and 60 days. I store them in the dark and give them little or no water until March when I put them in the greenhouse. With the cuttings I try and grow them as slowly as possible and still keep them alive until greenhouse time.
    Bill

• marcie_new
    12 years ago

Wow you sound so interesting plantwise. I received several cuttings from Kathy and so far so good they all rooted, and look happy, what we did==Put up a tin roof one side made out of patio doors-window the other wall consists of a glass 110" by 59" tempered?glass it was a window to adress shop, the other 2 walls are against the back of my house, and that is where my plants are housed this year,I am not able to post pics my comp well me are having trouble attaching pictures, maybe this weekend I have the glitch worked out by the way you all might know that I am technology impaired!!.

• kasha77
    12 years ago

Sounds very cool, Marcie! Hey, we all start somewhere with our pc's! I didn't know a thing til my teen aged kids showed me. They still help me out once in a while. I couldn't live without my computer. It's my passage to my social life! (sad!)
    I value you all here, and hope you are all enjoying family and friends this Christmas day!

• kasha77
    12 years ago

I just went through every cutting in my greenhouse because I had an infestation of aphids. In the meantime, I discovered 2 out of the 3 cuttings that you gave me were rooting! :) The third one died. Hey- 2 out of 3 is not bad! You sent me great big fat cuttings, and I thank you for them. Instead of trading another one of your unnamed double pinks, might you have a Plumeria that you would like to send my way instead? I don't remember if you grew them or not. It's my next obsession trying to get under way, as you know! If not that's fine! Well, back to folding laundry!
    Thanks again!

• rmbill
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry Kathy, No Plumerias here yet. I am going to get 309 mixed seeds from Thailand but now they say around the first part of February. I am also getting the offer for 25 different kinds of Desert Rose seeds. They are identified by name. I am hoping that my greenhouse gets a real work out this year. I'll share if I do any good.
    Bill

• kasha77
    12 years ago

That's alright Bill. No worries! Someone advised me not to bother starting plumie seeds, because it takes too long to wait for them to bloom. But I've got time so I will try it! I'll buy seeds online too. If I get them first I'll send some your way! Good for you! DR is also another beauty!

• mantorvillain
    12 years ago

Hi Bill. My Flame was new to me this year, got buds but had to go to the basement before I got a bloom. It looks as if others have potential cuttings for you but many of my sleeping beauties throw basal sprouts when they wake up in the spring and I usually remove and root them in order to keep a 'standard' form for the mama plant. If that occurs I could have one for you next summer. I seem to have better luck with green cuttings in spring than fall. Maybe they just sense its time to get growing...dunno.
    Will

• karyn1
    12 years ago

Bill I've bought adenium seeds from a Thai seller named Adenium Ko and was very happy with what they sent. BTW ignore the names as adenium seeds, like plumerias and brugs, don't grow true. Adeniums can flower from seed in a year but usually take a bit longer. Plumerias from seed take an average of 4 years to reach blooming size and often it's longer then that.

• rmbill
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Will, I'll take you up on that Flame offer. Hopefully I will have something that you will like by then. I may just buy something really special just to have something to trade with. I bought seed Xs from Liz, on Ebay, and am hoping for some neat stuff from them. Kylie sent me some Brug seeds that should be pretty great, also. Of course most of them will have only one flower or none the first year.

Karyn, I have never had either of these flowers so it will be fun. They are all pretty so how can I lose? The Desert Rose that I got from Lowes is my first. I'm getting pretty old so the 4 years might be a stretch for me, but what the heck, I'll try it any way. Somebody else will have to give them away for me if I croak because that's why I raise things anyway. :-)
    Bill

• karyn1
    12 years ago

Bill I saw your pic. I dare say you have plenty of time for a plumeria to bloom. It's always fun to see what you end up with and all are pretty. I used to have close to 100 plumies. Many I had started from seed but I got sick of waiting and gave the majority away. Not sure if I still have any seed grown ones left or if all are from cuttings. I only kept about a dozen and I lost a few of those to cold damage 2 winters ago. I love plumeias but they take up a lot of space while dormant and you can't prune them back like you can a brug if you want flowers. It takes a year for a branch to develop an inflo and each tip will only produce 1. The branch will fork after the inflo dies and you wait another year for inflos to develop on the new branches. Tdogdad (Bill) on the plumeria forum is a really nice guy and a wealth of information. Dave in VA who occasionally posts here is also very knowledgeable when it comes to growing plumerias, especially in the cooler zones.

• rmbill
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Karyn, Thanks for the vote of confidence but I will be 72 in April so I am probably I little on the down hill side. My Dad made it to 76 so I am hoping to beat him a little. Maybe enough to get Plumeria blossoms, eh? I have them and Deseert Rose seeds ordered so you can bet I'll be giving it a try. I'm getting quite a few seeds so if they grow, I may be able to share some so I won't have to wait alone.
    Bill

• karyn1
    12 years ago

You look great for your age. I would have guessed early to mid 60's. 72 still isn't that old. Remember 50 is the new 30 and I'm sticking to that. lol I'm sure you'll get to see plenty of plumeria blooms.

• kimka
    12 years ago

As far as I'm concerned, middle age is always ten years older than whatever I am right now.

Plant those seeds and expect to see the flowering.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths