Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
knotz_gw

OT: 8* pond

knotz
14 years ago

Here's what 2 days of 8* mornings did to my pond...Brrrr.

{{gwi:587436}}

And Ariel thinks she can go outside in this 8* temps..I don't think so!!!

{{gwi:587437}}

Comments (12)

• chena
    14 years ago

UCK!!!!!! I do love the Gator tho... I am not much on Winter.. I actually have to go outside and work today..it is not that cold here but DANG!!! We are a whopping 29* right now..âºâº

Kylie

• haase
    14 years ago

I'll trade temps with you for a while.
    Ingrid

• karyn1
    14 years ago

Your pond is so cool looking frozen like that. It's really nice out now, in the mid 50's and sunny but temps are supposed to get chilly tonight. The weather has been exceptionally weird lately.

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

Caren just open the window briefly and Ariel will see ha ha ha

I LOVE THE LOOK of your pond....hope no damage comes from it.

Lucy

• figara
    14 years ago

cool looking frozen pond but there are any fish in the pond? What happened with them?

Pat

• knotz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

There are 4 fish in there...I hope they're ok...The water coming out of the spitter froze as it was coming out and sprayed over to the left of the spitter and the ground is completely covered in ice from that...The pond is pretty low now because of that...We can't do anything until it thaws out.

Pray for my little fishes, please??...I've had them SO long and they are my pets...lol

knotz

• dimples31312
    14 years ago

Too Cold for me! Hope the little fishies make it.
    Looks like you need a heater in there. LOL
    Poor puppy wants to go out and play but she would be a popsicle!
    Hugs stay warm
    Dorothy

• mantorvillain
    14 years ago

Oh my goodness! At least its just 'low' and not dry! With our winter I have to just let the upper pond freeze solid (only 18" deep), pull the pump and keep the lower pond (4') going with a bubbler (and heater on an as needed basis). When I saw your pic I was iniitally afraid your whole pond might have emptied itself. Hope you can refill in time to save your fishies.
    Will

• fool4flowers
    14 years ago

Yes you need a bubbler and a heater to keep a hole open so your fish can get oxygen. Most people drain the pumps before they freeze solid like that and turn off the spitters. The fish can live for a while under a thing layer of ice but if there is too much for too long they won't make it. Especially if the water is shallow. Best of luck. You can buy an electric thing to sit on top to melt a hole in it. They say don't pound the ice to crack it though or the percussion will kill the fish. Just what I read last year on the pond forum.

• karyn1
    14 years ago

I didn't leave an aerator running in either of my ponds last season but did transfer as many fish as I could catch to the deeper pond. Both appeared to have frozen solid but the deeper one must have had a couple inches of water that didn't freeze because a number of my fish survived. Several fish and all the frogs did die. Just wait until it thaws and all the bodies will float. Dead bloated frogs are really nasty looking!

• eloise_ca
    14 years ago

It's cold out there Caryn! Hope your pond and fish will be fine when it thaws out. Ariel is such a cutie!

• beachplant
    14 years ago

BRRR! It's cold here, 45degrees. :) We put a heater in the pond last week for the fishes, guppies, mollies, koi and goldfish. We're all wimps here!
    Ya'll stay warm and I hope the fish make it.
    Tally HO!

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH