Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn1_gw

OT: New Camera Lens

karyn1
13 years ago

I just got my new macro lens and am trying to figure out how to use it. I really need to use a tripod as it's difficult to hold still even with the vibration reduction engaged. There's also not a whole lot blooming to take pics of right now and I don't want to fight my way thru the GH. With my luck I'd drop the camera. lol

{{gwi:587625}}{{gwi:587626}}{{gwi:587627}}{{gwi:587628}}{{gwi:587629}}{{gwi:587630}}{{gwi:587631}}

{{gwi:587632}}{{gwi:587633}}{{gwi:587634}}

Comments (20)

• kasha77
    13 years ago

Oh Karyn- That's an awesome lens! Exactly what I need too! Congratulations and thank you for sharing!
    kasha77

• karyn1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Kathy if you are looking for camera equipment check out B&H in NY. I got that lens for $475 which was almost $50 cheaper then I found it anywhere else.

Here is a link that might be useful: B&H Photo

• maile_2010
    13 years ago

Nice pics Karen. Great sharpness and clarity. Enjoy.
    Will be looking forward to the brug bloom pics.
    Happy Holidays.
    Jerry

• princealbert
    13 years ago

karyn,

It looks to me like you mastered it! Great pics.
    pa

• fool4flowers
    13 years ago

Very cool to have a new toy to play with. I got new pots and pans. Not nearly as much fun but I needed them, lol.

• karyn1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I love cookware, actually anything that belongs in the kitchen, but I have to pick it out myself. I pick most of my gifts out myself anyway. That way there's no issues. I ordered the camera lens and a pair of boots. The only surprise gift was a necklace. Jewelry is just about the only gift that DH is capable of picking out himself. lol

• chena
    13 years ago

WOW!!! Karyn that is AWESOME...

• karyn1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I figured that I should get nice stuff this season because I got him a 73" 3D TV. lol Unfortunately I didn't think to order extra 3D glasses because it only came with 2 and there's 5 of us. Oh well, his birthday's coming up in a few months.

• figara
    13 years ago

Very nice Karyn. I love macro photography.
    Ha,ha,ha my husband got 65" 3D TV and I had to buy presents for myself too and new Kitchen pots :-)
    Pat

• kasha77
    13 years ago

We do that too here. I had to laugh- my husband bought himself 2 nice car books, read both of them, and then wrapped them and put them under the tree! He acted So surprised and happy when he opened them too! LOL!Karyn- what power is that lens? Thanks for sharing!
    kasha77

• karyn1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Kathy the macro is a Nikon (Nikkor) AF-S 85mm f/3.5G ED VR. I also have a Nikon 55-200 mm zoom but the macro takes better and more close up pics. This macro lens is about the strongest this camera can handle. Maybe after a year or so, if I progress I'll invest in a D700 that can handle a super macro but I'm not ready to spend $2500 for a camera body and another $800+ for a lens. Going from a digital point & shoot to the 5000 was a big enough step for me right now. lol Once I become more familiar, if I do, I'm going to look in the pawn shops for equipment. As long as I know what to look for, which I don't at this time, it will save me a lot of $$. You can get really nice camera equipment for a fraction of the retail cost at a pawn shop.

• kasha77
    13 years ago

That's right- I totally forgot! When I know what I want to buy- I'll have to check some pawn shops out around here! Thanks so much for the info-
    kasha77

• tommysmommy
    13 years ago

Those are great shots Karyn. Keep them coming. Hopefully in the next few days I can post photos too. I've got a training session at the Apple store on Sunday so I can learn how to download and store photos on this new computer.

• karyn1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Can you tell what this is? It looks positively gross!
    {{gwi:587635}}

• eloise_ca
    13 years ago

Watermelon? Have no clue, but it is gross looking, lol!

• chena
    13 years ago

A third degree burn that is starting to ooozzzz!! LOL

Kylie

• karyn1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I forgot about this. Eloise it is watermelon. It is pretty nasty looking up close.

• eloise_ca
    13 years ago

Hey, I'm pretty good at this guessing game, LOL! Kylie, starting to oooozzzzzzzz, yuck!

• gardenpaw
    13 years ago

Great pics Karyn, nice work!
    Yes, keep them coming, I always enjoy your pictures.

Karen

• kimka
    13 years ago

Karyn,

Keep an eye out for used lenses at Penn Camera both on line and at their stores in maryland and DC. You can get some incredible bargains, especially if you don't demand autofocus. I just got a 500 mirror lens way cheap because it is not autofocus, but for most of my picture taking I'm old fashioned and like to chose my own focus.

They vet their used stuff pretty well and will take them back if the lens turns out not to work for some reason.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!