Return to the Brugmansia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how long till bloom?

Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 24, 12 at 12:49

I plan to start some yellow and purple daturas this year. I received the seeds in trade so I've been going thru the posts trying to find some info about starting them. So far I have found out that bottom heat is needed. Do the seeds have to be stratified first? Once I get these growing, how long does it take for them to start to flower? TIA. Marg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how long till bloom?

Hi Marg,
I always stratify mine as I store them in the fridge. I thought it was required, but was corrected in another post. I think the answer was "it depends on the cultivar".

I soak the seeds overnight and nick them (scarification) before planting. I use bottom heat and put them under lights - cheap lights - they'll prevent them from getting leggy. They can take a while to germinate (21 days or so). Also, for me, they seem to start out slow, so you'll probably want to get them started earlier than other seeds (March-ish).

I haven't really paid attention to when I would see first flowers, but I'd say end of June or so in your zone. I usually plant a six inch seedling and it grows to a couple feet by then. After that, they really take off, growing larger and putting out fair amount of blooms. I've grown them in pots, but they were never as robust as the ones in ground.

I don't think you'll be disappointed!
Gail

o
RE: how long till bloom?

• Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
    Tue, Dec 25, 12 at 12:26

Thanks for the tips Gail. Can't wait to see my first blooms! Marg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Brugmansia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here