Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pagrdnr

Anyone starting seeds?

pagrdnr
14 years ago

I posted this earlier but it didn't show up. Must have gotten deleted from the maintenence thing they were doing.

I am going to be starting my seeds soon. I started them earlier last year, but decided to wait until after the holidays this time so that is one less thing to worry about. Is anyone else starting seeds or have you started already? Any crosses that you are really excited about?

Is there anyone that wants to try seeds but doesn't have any? Maybe I will do some contests.

P.S. Lucy.....Thank you for the Christmas Card and for thinking of me. I know I haven't been posting alot, so it looks like I'm not here, but I do come and read the new posts every day. I'll try to post more....its just kind of slow on the forums this time of year.

Comments (16)

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

Shawn you know, once you or anybody is in my address book...THAT's IT lol

So if I bother anybody by staying in touch...even if Life takes you other places and you might just lurk here and there or what have you. Just mail me. I will not be offended!

Heck Shawn...I am still working on getting x mas presents out roflmao

Not thinking about seeds yet :-(

You are sweet for offering seeds in a contest. You know we all love contests :-) Maybe. I know there are a few folks looking or wish they had seeds.

Lucy

• njoynit
    14 years ago

I started some in Oct My own crosses.I was just dieing watching& waiting.i normally start them in Feb on Valentines day or just after.
    Cypress Gardens X NOL
    Betty Marshall X Jamician yellow
    Charles G X unknown pink

my CG X NOL look awesome.they are about 4 inches right now and need up potted..
    Charles G xUP have sprouted earatically 4 pots didn't come up yet.

I have pods growing on runks in water that are OP and charles has been dug and has pods.I do plan to start more seeds.

• karyn1
    14 years ago

The only brug seeds I'm starting are the immature ones from the pod that dropped last week. I potted them yesterday and will see if any sprout. Those were the only brug seeds I had this year. No other pods survived and I haven't bought any. I do have some other tropicals starting but very little so far. I'll probably start some passies in the near future. I also need to set up the aeroponics chamber and start cuttings. I just haven't had much free time.

• napdognewfie
    14 years ago

Too soon for seed starting for me. If I plant them now, they get too big before time to put them out. I always end up with a jungle & we can't get into the dining room all winter. All the windows are full from the stuff that came inside in fall & I keep adding more but there are never enough lights or space for all I want to grow, LOL

Linda

• jumpin4joy
    14 years ago

I have tons Ive started. I will be a busy bee come the end of Feb. if all do well. Brandy

• dees
    14 years ago

I started some seeds that I bought on e-bay from arghya gardens.They are Jaycana X Daydreams.This is my first year with brugs, and I just love growing anything from seed, so I had to try it(just like I had to try the log method). I am amazed at how fast they have grown! I would love to see some contests, and have a chance at some more cool crosses!
    DeeS

• karyn1
    14 years ago

Shawn I wish you hadn't mentioned seeds. Now I'm itching to start some (besides the questionable ones I did plant) and I have loads of other stuff that I really do need to start. It's almost like I can't help myself so I bought a few varieties from dergaertner_1. Stop mentioning things. I have zero will power when it comes to plants!!! lol They were some interesting varieties though.

• Frances Coffill
    14 years ago

Seeds take over my life at this time of year!

I fear it will be worse than normal this season because the weather has been so cool and wet! Even on the warm pleasant days it is impossible to do much because everything is a soggy mess! (shhhh best not whine about rain after a two year drought)

I sowed my first nine WS containers yeaterday I expect to plant many more in the coming week. No brugs though, I do have a one year old seedling wintering with the rest of my cuttings, looking forward to the first bloom in the new year!

Happy New Year everyone!

Frances

• jillybean1977
    14 years ago

I planted:
    Sam X Cherub
    (JP X Vixen) X Angels Moonlight
    Ruffles & Flourishes X New Orlean Lady
    (Ruffles and Flourishes X PL) X The Chief

They are doing pretty well. Already potted some into individual 4" pots. It's fun and you never know what you'll get.

Jill

• chena
    14 years ago

I have a handful of seed already started and some soaking and a more sitting here in front of me.. I think it is a sickness!! LOL

• napdognewfie
    14 years ago

My other post disappeared. I am not starting seeds yet. If I start them now, they are too big before time to move them out. I can still get to my dining room now but as soon as I put up the lights & trays & heat mats, it turns into a plant room & we eat in the kitchen or living room. LOL I will probably start around Feb this year.

Linda

• fool4flowers
    14 years ago

I am still waiting to get a heat mat. Might need to take a trip to austin to find one. The cheapest I have found a 4 tray mat was $70 something. Wish I could find a water bed heater.

• napdognewfie
    14 years ago

I used rope lights before I got my mat. Bury them in sand in a large plastic container & set your flats on top of the sand. You can put the lid over for extra humidity.

Linda

• figara
    14 years ago

I bought seeds from Eddie and all of them sprouted.
    I bought from arghya gardens and 3 sprouted, 2 never grow true leaves and died after a while.
    Karyn, I bought from dergaertner_1 too and like 2of them sprouted but the seedling did not made the loop they went straight up and nothing came out of the head, it was like a stick with no head and eventually died. I am sooo disappointed. Karyn I would like to know if you do better than me since you have more experience.

Pat

• napdognewfie
    14 years ago

Year before last I bought a bunch of seeds from dergaertner & others + trades & shares. I had good germination & about 25% of them Y'd the 1st year & 10% budded. I started them kind of late (I think it was April) so I was surprised to get any flowers.

Linda

• token28001
    14 years ago

I've got 3 seeds from Brenda that have germinated. Three others are trying really hard. The rest seem to have rotted in their paper/baggie. I hope to have 6 new brugs this summer. Thanks again Brenda!