Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn1_gw

OT: amaryllis

karyn1
13 years ago

I always have DH bring me some of the interesting amaryllis that he gets in. Last year was a beautiful triple white and this year is an interesting red. These don't have names, just numbers. Not sure if the inner petals will remain crinkled. It just opened a couple hours ago.

{{gwi:588053}}

Comments (34)

• chena
    13 years ago

That is pretty!! I just love the trip white!! Thank You!! ;0)

• honeybunny2 Fox
    13 years ago

I just bought 3 Susan Amaryllis, I love their hugh blooms. Karyn, does your husband ever get the deals he use to, if you order so many bulb? If so I would be interested in going in with you to get some diffrent varities. I would love to have an orange Amaryllis. Barbra

• karyn1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Barbra Bruce brings in about 2500 amaryllis pots for the holidays. He's probably sold out by now.

• karyn1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

More buds opened and there's also pics of a kholeria that wants to bloom now for some strange reason. It should be dormant.{{gwi:588054}}{{gwi:588055}}{{gwi:588056}}{{gwi:588057}}{{gwi:588058}}{{gwi:588059}}{{gwi:588061}}

• rock_oak_deer
    13 years ago

That Amaryllis is a beauty. I had a white this year, but the blooms were a little disappointing.

• chena
    13 years ago

You must have that kholeria totally confused..LOL It is Beautiful! Do you go to the farm much when ya'll get big loads in??

• karyn1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Not much at the farm in the winter but the wholesale shop is absolutely crazy with all the Christmas stuff. I don't know how many truckloads come in of wreaths, roping, greens and poinsettias along with other seasonal plants and all the regular cut flowers and plants. Most is never even unloaded and just goes directly out on delivery. I usually stay away from the warehouse during Nov & Dec. It's too busy and too confusing. These are pics from a few years ago when I stopped by and even then I went after business hours. lol{{gwi:588062}}{{gwi:585897}}{{gwi:588063}}{{gwi:587739}}{{gwi:587741}}{{gwi:587742}}{{gwi:585899}}{{gwi:587743}}

• honeybunny2 Fox
    13 years ago

Karyn, those are great pictures. I bet your house looks like something out of a magazine at Christmas. I got a bit of luck today when I went to Lowes. I was just about to order some amaryllis on line, but decided to go to Lowes to see if they had any decent bulbs, since they usually mark them down around Christmas. They had their $9.98 bulbs marked down to $2.25, I bought 3 each of Prince Carnaval, Denver, Lady Jane, Vera, Roma, Aphrodite, and Star of Holland. I can't wait to plant them tomorrow. They also had their Chrismas stuff marked down 40%, I picked up quite a few ornaments, candles, and stuff to use as stocking stuffers. Barbra

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    13 years ago

Karyn, I saw this bulb for sale locally called Amaryllis 'Charisma'. Have you ever seen it bloom 'in person'? Just wondering. Looks like a good one. Tempted to buy it.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:588049}}

• karyn1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Dave I don't really collect amaryllis and only have a few. I have what DH brings home and some of the other members of the family like griffinia, Haemanthus, Scadoxus multiflorus, Boophone disticha and a reticulatum striatifolium. I had or maybe still have ? a papillio but it hasn't bloomed. That's pretty much the only one I'd consider buying right now. There's loads of beautiful varieties and if I lived in a climate where they could grow outside I'd have many more. Bruce doesn't order by variety, just color. He just requests that each case have a minimum of a specific color, usually red and the guys in Holland fill in the rest with whatever they want. They arrive labeled by number and color, not variety.

• figara
    13 years ago

Nice looking amaryllis ,Karyn. I have a white one but it didn't bloom for the last 2 years. I keep it outside in a pot all year long, makes leaves but no buds :-)
    Kholeria flowers are very cute.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    13 years ago

Dave, that bloom is beautiful. I only have Red Lion in my yard right now. I will plant my marked down amaryllis in pots today, so I can get them healthy before planting them in my yard at the coast. I did buy some elephant ears, after seeing your yard. I hope they do as well for me. Your yard is just breathtaking. Barbra

• mnwsgal
    13 years ago

Barbra, I also bought lots of Lowe's bulbs on clearance, $1.25 to $2.50 each. I've also been reading the amaryllis forum and learning that many of Lowe's bulbs are mislabeled. Of the three that have bloomed for me none has been labeled correctly. My Star of Holland is a Lady Jane.
    Bobbie

• eloise_ca
    13 years ago

Beautiful amaryllis Karyn, and the kholeria is to die for! I love the dark leaves with reddish blooms.

Wish our Lowes would give those great discounts on their plants/bulbs.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    13 years ago

Bobbie, I went back to Lowes yesterday, and bought somemore bulbs. total 41 bulbs. I bought some at the Lowes in Corpus Christi, same package, but the bulbs in CC are so much smaller than what they have in San Antonio. San Antonio, the bulbs are hugh, but hardly any roots, and in CC they had great roots. I could not resist, they were only $1.75 I got Danau, Pasadena, Carnaval, Susan, and even some of the older ones Minerva, and Apple Blossom. . I think I will put them in the flowerbed in front of the garage. I have the papillio bulb I bought last year there, and it is doing great. Seems they like full afternoon sun, and I have alot of that. Barbra

• mnwsgal
    13 years ago

So nice to be able to plant them outside. Sounds like it will be a beautiful bed. Please post photos of the bed when they bloom.

I only bought one of each as have limited space and am already over crowded yet am tempted to go to my local nursery today and buy a papillo on sale.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    13 years ago

Bobbie, the Papillo, I bought was from a mailorder greenhouse, it was so tiny. I paid $10, plus $5 shipping. I had never seen it before, Kristy posted a picture of hers and I fell in love. I was not able to find one in San Antonio. If you can get Papillo on sale, you need to get it, its a rare bulb. I wish they had them here on sale. Barbra

• karyn1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The papillio (papilio) is one of the prettiest amaryllis, IMO. I wish I could figure out if I still have mine or not. It's not only brugs that I lose tags on. lol Barbra $10 is a good deal. I usually see them priced around $15 for a blooming size bulb. There shouldn't be a problem finding one as they are pretty common now. Here's a few that have them in stock. A number of places are sold out and then there's always ebay.

http://www.glasshouseworks.com/trop-gh.html

http://www.easytogrowbulbs.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=94

http://www.amaryllis.com/product/92/

http://rareflora.com/amaryllispap.html

http://www.eldonaccess.com/category.sc?categoryId=10

http://www.shieldsgardens.com/amaryllids/hippeastrum.html (Shields has some amazing bulbs)

• honeybunny2 Fox
    13 years ago

Karyn, I bought mine from Glasshouse works, I still have a credit over there. Maybe I will buy another one this year, I think last year it was $9.99. The bulb I got was not a blooming size bulb, I hope it will bloom this year. Barbra

• karyn1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I think it's a buck cheaper this year at Glasshouse. I've usually delt with Tom over there but haven't bought anything from them in a couple years. I bought mine from Mark (from the brug forum) some years ago. It wasn't a blooming size bulb either. If you've never looked thru Shields you should take a look. He grows some very cool varieties.

I read something interesting about papillio a while back. Supposedly it's a very easy amaryllis to grow from seed. I've never tried growing an amaryllis from seed and have no idea how long it would take to reach blooming size. Papillio is a smaller bulb but I'd imagine that it would still take several years. Have you ever grown one (any variety) from seed? Hope you get flowers this year.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    13 years ago

Karyn, I have Red Lion, under most of the oak trees at the coast, they seed every year, I do not collect the seeds. They reseed themselves, I give the new plants, I call babies, to the older women in our area, who cannot afford to go out and buy them. Barbra

• fool4flowers
    13 years ago

I had papillio last year and it was beautiful. Like you I don't know if I still have it or not, lol. It hasn't rebloomed this year yet if its alive. Several of them rotted.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    13 years ago

Oh my, just got back from the coast, and my papillio has so may shoots coming out the side of the bulb, are these baby bulbs?????? I counted 8 of the side shoots. I have never seen anything like that before on an amaryllis. I was putting mulch around the plumeria next to it, and that is when I noticed it. Gosh, I hope these are babies, and not just blooms. The 3 days we were at the coast, the weather was around 72 degrees. I want to go back next week, its so much warmer there. The hibiscus, snapdargons and gerber daises are in full bloom. Barbra

• karyn1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It must look so pretty with all those flowers in bloom. It's warmer here but the only things that aren't dead and brown here are the evergreens and a few early quince blossoms. The shoots coming up around the amaryllis bulb are most likely offsets. You've never seen that before? I get "babies" off my amaryllis bulbs all the time. If they are coming up next to or a bit away from the main bulb they are definitely offsets as the bloom stalks emerge from near the center of the bulb. You should take some pics. It would be nice for all of us up north to see some flowers blooming. Have a wonderful New Year.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    13 years ago

Karyn, I would love to take pictures, but I lent my camera to my son for Holloween, and am still waiting for him to return it. I called again today, he will email the person that has it, so he can bring it to the New Years Eve party tonight. I am keeping my fingers crossed, that I will get it back. I cannot tell my husband, he warned me not to lend it to my son. Barbra

• honeybunny2 Fox
    13 years ago

Karyn, how long should I keep the off sets on the main bulb, before I remove them. They are not any thicker than a shoe string right now. Barbra

• karyn1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I usually leave the offsets attached until I can see that the bulb is about the size of a pecan then I pop them off and put them in their own pot. I honestly don't know if that's the proper way to propagate an amaryllis. It's just what I do but I really don't know much about them. You might want to check the amaryllis forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

• honeybunny2 Fox
    13 years ago

Karyn, I don't really know anything either, but that good enought for me. I have learned alot about amaryllis in the past few day by looking on the amaryllis forum. I plan to do surgery on some bulbs tomorrow. Barbra

• honeybunny2 Fox
    13 years ago

Karyn, when we went back, I looked at the papillo, and it had at least another 8 off shoots. I took a picture of it with my husbands phone. I will keep checking to see how many off shoots I will get. Is this normal? I did work a cup of alfa meal into the soil around it. I am really excited. I will go back next weekend and see how many more off shoots there will be. I think I will keep them all together for at least a year. Barbra

• honeybunny2 Fox
    13 years ago

I have to let you know that I did contact Glasshouse Works, I was told to just send a check for the postage, and they will send a papilio bulb, and also replace any plant that I lost. My order was in 2009, and not 2010 like I thought. I can't belive he still honored this, since it was over a year ago. What a great company. Maybe that is why I have so many offshoots that bulb is almost 2 years old. Barbra

• marquest
    13 years ago

I have a old Heirloom Hippeastrum that I have had for 30 years. It blooms all year. It usually takes a break Dec-Jan and starts blooming again.

Winter bloom
    {{gwi:70763}}

Summer on the porch bloom
    {{gwi:70762}}

• honeybunny2 Fox
    13 years ago

I love the color of the amaryllis, its hard to find a peach-orange one. Barbra

• eloise_ca
    13 years ago

That is a pretty orangy one! Good care for 30 years!

• karyn1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That sounds like a huge amount of offsets. I'd leave them for a while. With that many they'll likely take a while to mature. Tom at Glasshouse Works is great. I've been dealing with them for quite a while. I had a couple unusual violets pop up as a volunteers in a plant I bought from them. Tom ID'd it for me and it's evidently a rare type so he gave me a choice in trade for one of them.

Wow 30 years! That's an interesting looking bloom with that petal shape.

My dbl white bloomed again. The flowers are beautiful but not as large as they were last year but that might be because I never fertilized it.
    {{gwi:588064}}{{gwi:588065}}{{gwi:588066}}

Sponsored