Return to the Brugmansia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by atokadawn 7 (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 28, 11 at 16:37

My brugs that I am growing inside have started wilting all of a sudden. Fine this morning and now all the stems have fallen over (not broken or fallen off). Please help me save them. This has happened to 2 of them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is it green or woody? A picture here would really help us figure out what's going on with it. Pull them up and look at the stem end. If it looks water logged, (a darker shade of green) or mushy or has a weird smell to it, it is rotting. I re-cut them above the rot and let the cutting air dry til the end is healed over. (a day or 2) This time, take some lightly damp potting mix and place about 3 inches in a picnic cup that has holes in it. Place the cutting in the center and tamp down all around it with your fingers. It will seem like there's not enough soil in the cup, but this will allow it to dry out quickly, which is what you want. (I learned this trick this winter!) Don't water, and keep it in a warm an well lighted area. When the soil is dry, water a bit. Don't soak it, resist over watering.
Or- if the cutting is fine but starting to wrinkle, it means you need to water it a bit. Brugs usually rot more than anything when trying to root them. I've been going through tis too, you're not alone. Some varieties are a little harder to root than others. If you can post a pic on here, it would really help! I use www.tinypic.com, fast and easy!

o
And another way-

A friend reminded me that if a cutting is too hard to root, pot it up in Perlite and water it with water and little powdered rootone. Hope this helps!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Brugmansia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here