Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kasha77

My variegates

kasha77
12 years ago

Here's a few pics of my variegates. Thanks for the link to tinypic.com, so much easier that Photobucket!

Snowbank

{{gwi:590076}}

{{gwi:590078}}

Peaches and Cream- notice the stripped corolla-

{{gwi:590080}}

Sorry these photos were a little blurry. The next night, these blooms opened up in my greenhouse and filled the air with the most intoxicating perfume! Don asked if they would live inside the house. Guess he likes them too!

Comments (27)

• rmbill
    12 years ago

Really nice foliage, Kathy. I got a few varigates in trade. I hope mine come out half as nice in the spring.
    Bill

• kayjones
    12 years ago

Very lovely!

• rudy625
    12 years ago

Ya done good Kathy !!!!
    Dan

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

Great photos of the variegation. Thanks for pointing out the striped corolla on the Peaches & Cream. I will look for that when mine blooms, hopefully next year. It did not bloom this past summer/fall but had good good foliage. When I brought it in for the winter I cut it back to one stem and am rooting some of the cuttings.

I understand that Snowbank is a slow grower and is on my list of brugs to buy. Will you be offering any cuttings or rooted cuttings of Snowbank in your store next spring?

Bobbie

• kasha77
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Bill- I'm sure yours will, you have the magic touch! :)
    Thank you everyone for the nice comments! Bobbie- no one is supposed to sell SBK because it has a copyright. When I placed my very first Snowbank in my cool basement last winter, it actually died down to the roots, then came back in the spring and reverted to green. I was told that because this happened, it actually makes the copyright null and void! Not sure about that though. I probably won't risk selling it on my webstore. I do have a few cuttings started, if you want to contact me in the spring...

{{gwi:590082}}

{{gwi:590083}}

• eloise_ca
    12 years ago

Kathy, spectacular sight! Thanks for sharing photos of your plants with us. Add a red bow and it will look very festive! Although Snowbanks is patented, one can find it on ebay at a good price, but of course, the plants are small.

• kasha77
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I did a little research about Snowbanks' patent and here is an excellent discussion about the legalities. I won't be selling this one without permission. I will contact Terra nova and see what is involved.
    http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/brug/msg1121541716481.html

• kasha77
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here's a different type of variegate- a variegated winter blooming Daphne. It blooms all winter, with the most delicious honey lemon fragrance!

{{gwi:590085}}
    {{gwi:590087}}

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

Thanks, Kathy, for the link, very interesting. Though I have been growing brugs for three years I am still a newbie regarding the different varieties. I appreciate all who post on this forum to share your knowledge to help educate me.

That daphne is a beautiful plant.

• chena
    12 years ago

Beautiful Kathy!!!!! AWESOME JOB!!!!

Kylie

• karyn1
    12 years ago

That daphne is gorgeous!! I've never seen a variegated one with such vibrant pink blooms, just pale pink. Where did you find it?

Snowbank has such nice foliage. It took a few years for mine to finally bloom. Liz or someone posted a new variegated brug on facebook that has foliage very similar to Snowbank with the wide white margins but I have no idea what color the bloom is.

• kasha77
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Karyn- I found it at Lowes'. They have great plants! I'm hoping to add this one to my web store come spring.
    Thanks guys!

• karyn1
    12 years ago

You found that at Lowes'!!!! They have the same cr*p at the Lowes' around here as the HD's. Have you attempted to propagate it? Do you do it the same as you would a magnolia or vibirnum?

• eloise_ca
    12 years ago

That Daphne is a beauty Kathy! I've never had one and don't know if it would grow here, but will have to look into getting one.

• pearlgirl
    12 years ago

Kathy, your plants are so lovely ...and....awesomely
    spotless foliage! Great job.

Margaret

• kasha77
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone! I do get aphids and a few spider mites in my greenhouse, but a forceful spray of water does them in! :)
    Here's a few more pics of Peaches and Cream- I just love the striped corollas, and the transition color of white to peach!

{{gwi:590089}}

{{gwi:590091}}

• eloise_ca
    12 years ago

Kathy, what a beautiful sight! P&C's blooms are gorgeous!

• rmbill
    12 years ago

Kathy, They are absolutely gorgeous. I have a P&C cutting that seems to be doing well. I didn't realize they were so beautiful. I also have a Maya cutting that is doing well. I don't know anything about them,yet, but I will next summer.
    Bill

• kasha77
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Bill!
    Also- I contacted Terrra Nova Nurseries, and he said that they stopped producing Snowbank due to low sales volume. It would cost me an arm and a leg to find a lab to produce them for me. (that's the only way I could sell it with their permission.) So folks, if you have a Snowbank, hang onto it. There won't be any more available. I won't be selling any do to the patent on it. Sorry!

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    12 years ago

Wow they are just beautiful. My Freckles finally has one bud on it so I am praying it won't fall off before it opens lol.

• karyn1
    12 years ago

If what I read is correct Terra Nova was granted a patent on Snowbank in 2005. A plant patent lasts 20 years from the time the patent was filed. I wonder when that was?

Snowbank has been one of the more difficult brugs for me to root.

• Snooker
    12 years ago

Karen,

The Snowbank patent application was filed on June 2, 2003.

• kasha77
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I hope my Snowbank lives til 2023!

• eloise_ca
    12 years ago

My Snowbank went to plant heaven this summer :-( At some point, I will seek out another.

• Snooker
    12 years ago

I am sure we are all counting the days until Snowbank is free of its patent.

It is a little surprising that Snowbank was not an economic success since it appears to be a significant improvement over its parent. I understand that it is a mutation of Sunset, which is in turn a variegated form of Charles Grimaldi.

• kasha77
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for Snowbanks' heritage, Snooker, I was wondering what it was!

• marcie_new
    12 years ago

Guys you all are so smart. I feel left out for I know nothing about brugs except that I love them and sometimes they love back, for instance the dble white brugie I inherited from my Mom, she still alive and also the single tellow one that with time the blooms turn almost orange, oh but those variegated ones they are something else I got some cuttings in trade but then they up and died on me even that they bloomed for me so I found some in Elgin bought 2 had them for a couple of months and they up and died too so I must be doing something wrong, I must research them over and see what I am doing wrong, I want to plant a small forest of brugie next spring in my backyard, my dogs are getting a new fence in area so that they will not bother my plants, for they love to dig up plants and destroy them even the potted ones! I tried tying a hanging basket around their neck but it has not worked.or they lay on top of my plants if I leave the door open in the makeshift of greenhouse, I even made my dogs a heated bed they still prefer to lay on my plants!!grgrgrg!!! But I do love my dogs too so I must find a happy medium. M.N.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting