Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rmbill_gw

Anyone having any luck with the cuttings yet?

rmbill
13 years ago

This was my first time sending out cuttings and I didn't prepare them in any way, so I was wondering if they are doing anything or did I mess them up.

Thanks everybody for sending the postage back.

Bill

Comments (12)

• chena
    13 years ago

Bill the ones you sent are doing Great!! I must say when I opened the package I went HMMM..LOL But they had callused over nice and were very firm and started putting out roots very quick.. Thanks Again !!

Kylie

• honeybunny2 Fox
    13 years ago

I got 6 cuttings from Chocolate Brug, and was nursing them, before I went into the hospital. I just knew they would be dead when I got out. To my suprize two of them had great roots, and are growing in pots. Creamsickle, and Painted Lady are the two winners, I am very happy, and plan to get them in the ground as soon as possible. I am very happy, Thank you Chocolate Brug, I hope you have a very Merry Christmas. Barbra

• rmbill
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Kylie,
    Next year I'll know to do a little better. I'll remember that you have Cherub, also.
    Merry Christmas,
    Bill

• marquest
    13 years ago

I am bad at rooting this time of year but I am giving it a try. Karyn and Terese sent me some cuttings. So far...

-one has bite the dust
    -5 have rooted and are in soil growing leaves.
    -3 are still in water looking at me being stubborn. No nubbies, No roots.

The three are the double bad girls. Are doubles harder to root?

• karyn1
    13 years ago

I'd take the ones that aren't rooted out of water, (cut them back about an inch as long as there's no softening, if soft remove all softened stem) and stick them in some lightly moistened soil. You want the soil to be almost dry. I don't think that multi skirt varieties are more difficult. It's just some varieties, single or multi, can be harder then others to root. Good luck.

• chena
    13 years ago

Bill would you like for me to put your name on a Cherub cutting?

Kylie

• rmbill
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Kylie,
    I would appreciate it if you would save me one. Maybe we will have a warm spell and you could send it. Mine is for sure dead. Fortunately it looks like most of the the other 9 are going to make it.
    Thanks.
    Bill

• kasha77
    13 years ago

I've received over 100 cuttings in trades this fall, and have only lost about 5 of them. They're in a very cool 52* basement under lights and on a heating mat. I have a very small Inca Sun cutting with a little flower forming on it. Must be because of the cool temps. I barely water them and they are slowly growing. Our furnace isn't working again so it's pretty cold down there. So far, they look good.
    Thanks everyone for the trades! Bill- the ones you gave me were shriveled somewhat when they arrived, but they're all doing fine now. No worries!
    Merry Christmas!
    http://ecard.ashland.edu/2004admission/index.html

kasha77

• chena
    13 years ago

You got it Bill!! ;0)

Kylie

• beachplant
    13 years ago

so far there is only one from all I received that is not looking good. I don't think tropical sunset is going to make it. :( One is just now showing signs of growth but all the others are rooted and covered with foliage. They are on my porch roof on the East side of the house. Gotta repot some next Saturday when I'm off.
    Thanks again everyone.
    Tally HO!

• honeybunny2 Fox
    13 years ago

Tally, do you like doubles. I started several from cuttings this spring, they have not bloomed yet. If I do not loose them this winter due to freezing, I can bring you some cuttings, when I come down. I will bring the Moy Grande, and Lord Baltimore, these are my two favorite plants for the coastal bend. Barbra

• beachplant
    13 years ago

OOO, yes Barb! I lost my double white to the freeze last year, it was 18 years old and about 10' tall. Lost the other doubles to the hurricane.
    Tally HO!