Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
honeybunny2_gw

It;s like the Lotto??

honeybunny2 Fox
14 years ago

I went to Lowes today, they marked down all their tropicals, to $1, I bought 24 of them, brought them home, cut them down, supterthrive and my fingers crossed. Barbra,

Comments (10)

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

Babra that is better then the lottery. Odds were a lot more in your favor :-) then the lottery lol

What were they? WOW 1 Dollar! Last I looked at our Lowes here...I said NO way I am paying over 6 bucks for a half to 2/3 dead looking plant.

Lucy

• haase
    14 years ago

My Lowes here doesn't offer any brugs. Must be the area.
    Ingrid

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    14 years ago

These were not brugmansia, these were tropical plants regular price $19.99,I got the parrot ginger for $.50 each. I just rolled the dice. thank you Lucy for your advice, I had a shop light installed today. I also received seed from Barbaros, planted them today. I will share extra seeds with others. That is what its all about. Barbra,

• knotz
    14 years ago

So what'd ya get??...You're lucky...Our Lowes doesn't sell any tropicals...We can grow those here, but I don't think many people know that.

knotz :)

• figara
    14 years ago

Good luck Barbara in growing them. Hope your 'lottery ticket' is a wining one:-)

Pat

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

Barbra you will love the shop light. I wish I could have done it last winter already. AMAZING what a difference it makes and even though I got it COLD in the house....the cuttings are putting out new growth...YIPPEEEE and check out the POTD. You see that even without the heat mat....The seeds sprout. But I know just as with the light...the same is true to the heat mats...The success and growth would be even better. After Christmas I go shopping for them.

Kristy already found a place I could get lucky...thanks Kristy

Lucy

• karyn1
    14 years ago

What did you buy? The HD's here don't mark down any plants. They get their stock from Bell Nursery and what's not sold goes back to Bell : (

• eloise_ca
    14 years ago

Congrats Barbra, that certainly is a fantastic bargain! Our Lowe's never discounts that much as they can usually keep the plants going year around. I thought I did well when I went to the nursery near my home and bought a 5-gal. Golden Flare Azalea for $8 (from $25)! Then I googled it and it seems they are more for areas with cooler weather. Oh well, I will keep it in the shade during the hot summer and see if it blooms.

• chena
    14 years ago

WOW!! Congrats!!
    Our Lowes doesn't carry many Trops and when they do they are rather Proud of them..LOL I still have a package here for you.. If you want I will get it sent out this week âºâº.. The weather looks pretty good..

Kylie

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I could have gotten anything I wanted, they just wanted to get rid of them. What I got were 12 of the double ti plants, they are ruby-red with burgundy foliage, they are just beautiful. I only had to trim down 5 of them, the others were perfect. I also got 6 variegated ginger, and 6 that just say assorted foliage, the leaves are white and green the leaves are more oval, than the ginger leaf. These were in 5 gallon pots. I also got 8 one gallon choconiana parrot flowers. These are a gamble, I picked the ones that still had stiff stalks, but had to cut them way back. I also got 4 orange sky cone flowers, since that was the only color I did not have. I got home, and put everything in my little plastic greenhouse, you should see it, thank goodness it was empty. I also planted my Pride of Barbados seeds. I was just waiting for the light to be installed, I got all 6 colors planted. I usually have about a 25% success rate with seeds, I hope this increased my chances. I only got 4 canna from the seeds that Siam sent to me. Barbra

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner