Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
glaswegian_gw

Which is the tallest growing Brugmansia?

glaswegian
13 years ago

By that I mean, which of the varieties have you seen grow the tallest, how tall? Something that gives that wow factor

Mick

Comments (18)

• rmbill
    13 years ago

Mick,
    I think That question might be hard to answer. Up here where we are a ten foot tall brug is very large but in the south they grow to quite large trees. One of my cuttings grew to about eight feet tall this year and I was quite proud.
    Bill

• karyn1
    13 years ago

Ruth Ann's!!!!! lol

• knotz
    13 years ago

I leave some of mine "tall" when I winter them so they grow really tall in their growing season...My First Belle got over 10' tall.

• ruth_ann
    13 years ago

LOL Karyn, I did have tall ones that one year in particular.

• plantlover49
    13 years ago

Mick
    for me the tallest one's I have are Naughty Nick & Santa
    Rosa, they both grew to over 10 ft, in my zone, that was
    pretty good, until I had too dig them up

Elizabeth

• glaswegian
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ruth Ann....How are you doing' luv?

Thx everyone....keep em coming

• tommysmommy
    13 years ago

My Santa Rosa grew to 10' inground this year also. Who knows what it would do if left in there instead of being dug up and potted for the winter?

• chena
    13 years ago

I have to agree it is Ruth Ann's..LOL
    For me GA Peach NN and Versi Wildform..

Kylie

• cara
    13 years ago

In my experience N.Nick is the tallest.

• brugmansiaddict
    13 years ago

I believe B. versicolor is the tallest species (30-40ft) with
    B. sanguinea (20-30ft) coming in second. I have also seen a 20 ft. B arborea.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    13 years ago

My Santa Rosa gets very tall! ...maybe 14 feet, but it depends upon how much I cut it back...that is, it has to fit inside my garage each winter. If I never cut it back, and it never got damaged by winds and rain, who knows how tall it would get. I'm sure it would attain tree stature in only a few years in a tropical environment.

• fool4flowers
    13 years ago

All of my peach colored ones seem to get 10 feet tall before they bloom, lol.

• glaswegian
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Any new tallest brugs to mention?

• green_thumb_guy
    13 years ago

Pehaps it would be easier for you to make a list of brigs that appeal to you and that you can get - then look at asking how tall others found they grew.

What kind of height are you looking for?

• green
    6 years ago

I am hoping to revive this thread. My Brug trees are topping out at about 12 feet, but I want them to grow taller to block a neighbor's window. I have routinely cut all the side branches off to encourage taller growth. Should I also cut all the top branches this winter so that they are encouraged to grow taller this Spring?

• green
    6 years ago

Also, I think they are grimaldi's

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    6 years ago

I had one that was 9-10 feet tall a few years ago.

• Andrew Norris
    4 years ago

I realize this is an old thread, but as a new Brugmansia grower, I was wondering how much hybridizing limits the potential for size.

For example, I’ve seen some descriptions stating the cultivars are small and can be covered in blooms at 3’. Does that mean it doesn’t have the potential to get much larger/taller, but it’s breeding simply allows it to bloom at a smaller size than larger growers?

The idea is important to me, as I recently went in big and bought my spouse 11 cultivars, to plant in our 9b garden, on the South side of the house. I want to keep the 2 odd ones out as specimen plants in foundation beds, and have groupings of 3, with one yellow, one orange, and one pink in each group of 3. It will be a much more complicated concept, if some will be very short and others very tall. I’m willing to prune the larger ones, but I’m looking for all of them to reach 8-10’ minimum. I realize feeding, light exposure, water, and pruning techniques will influence the growth of all cultivars, but are any cultivars unable to reach 8-10’ sizes due to their breeding?

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County