Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
figara_gw

Brugs Booming now

figara
13 years ago

The weather is cold but my brugs are still flowering outside.

Enjoy!

{{gwi:590737}} {{gwi:590738}} {{gwi:590739}} {{gwi:590740}} {{gwi:590741}} {{gwi:590742}} {{gwi:590743}} {{gwi:590744}} {{gwi:590745}}

How some of the brugs looked after 2 freeing nights

{{gwi:590746}} {{gwi:590748}} {{gwi:590750}}

....how they look after 10 days of cold, near freezing.

{{gwi:590751}} {{gwi:590752}} {{gwi:590753}} Poor guys are trying to open up.

Comments (10)

• maile_2010
    13 years ago

The 1st nine pics look awesome.
    Miss the girls and there aroma. About 6 months to wait.

• karyn1
    13 years ago

The blooms are beautiful. At least you still have some green there, even if it is kind of mushy. There's been a couple nasty cold snaps near the bay area. Hope you don't have a repeat of a few years ago.

• eloise_ca
    13 years ago

Spectacular blooms Pat! What is the orange/apricot colored one? I love the bloom shape. They do look sad once the cold gets them. The last pix reminds me of Snoopy's Christmas tree, LOL!

• figara
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Karyn, we had a very early cold (freezing) spell in November. Usually we have a few cold days in January. Hope we are done with it.
    This year I planted a few brugs in the ground to see if they survive and how they do.I do not want to go through digging them up and store them every year. I do not have a greenhouse or a basement to keep them.
    The ones are blooming now I pulled them close to the house under a porch and they are doing fine.

Eloise, the one you like is Monkey Shine. It is my first time seeing it bloom.

• princealbert
    13 years ago

pat,
    I used to live just north of you on the Presidio when I was in the army. I don't remember the winters being cold there, of course that was 25 years ago. We had a view of the GG Bridge out of the bedroom window, and were seranaded by the fog horns. It did snow 1 time Just a light dusting in the hills above Oakland It lasted almost till 9 A.M. AAAAAH The good old days.
    pa

• green_thumb_guy
    13 years ago

OUCH!!!!!

I feel your pain.

Been there. I would try to push my luck to keep my brugs out til Halloween. Not any more. 2nd week of October they are in.

Luckily , these things recover well.

Love your first group of pics - beautiful

:)

• karyn1
    13 years ago

Pat even if they died back to the soil line you have no worries that they won't regrow in your climate. I'm just a half zone of not being able to winter them over inground. I'd love to be able to keep mine in the yard year round. They take up so much darn space. Even when I cut them back I still have to contend with loads of 20-30" containers.

• chena
    13 years ago

Beautiful pic's Pat!! I am already sick of them being in the house and garage and Winter hasn't officially started..LOL..

Kylie

• rock_oak_deer
    13 years ago

Beautiful blooms and so many too. Thanks for the pics Pat. Mine are still are outside and have buds. I'm going to try to keep them going to bloom even though we are expecting 28o this weekend.

• plantlover49
    13 years ago

Pat
    such Beautiful Blooms, I also feel your pain, my Basement is full of Brugs, here we have had 12 degrees mornings, not getting above 30 degrees of the High, today we had a really decent day of 39 but that is rare this time of year
    in a couple days it will be back too freezing, I hope you have back ups for the one's you had too leave outside
    Elizabeth

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!