Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn1_gw

The S word... oh no!

karyn1
14 years ago

The weather service is predicting what might amount to a major snowstorm beginning early Sat morning. I hope they are wrong. The news is saying it might only be about 6" and that I can deal with but I just got an email from a friend that's freaking me out a bit. What would you think if you read this?

"This is from a friend at church. Dan works for the National Weather

Service and I can't say I've ever seen an e-mail like this from him

before.

Hi Everyone,

The forecast has markedly changed today and all signs are pointing to a

major (possibly historic) snowstorm on Saturday,ending Saturday night.

Let me know if you have any questions or concerns. My supervisors are

making arrangements with an adjacent hotel to place workers who might

not able to make it home after working the day shift Saturday."

The thought of getting snowed in for any amount of time freaks me out. If we get over 8" DH will have to start knocking it off the GH roof. I'm not too concerned about losing power, that usually just happens in ice, not snow but the county takes it's sweet time clearing our roads. The last significant storm, Jan 2004, the neighborhood actually dug out the roads. We'd been snowed in for 4 days and people were getting stir crazy.

Comments (58)

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

oh boy that is not good news my friend :-( But as of getting ready for the storm and then nothing coming...is IMHO a lot better then not being prepared!

I WAS going to say ya'all got to dance naked too...that we are talking SNOW>....COLD>...you can stay dressed roflmao

Still I am with Karyn...a Video would lighten up the situation a lot lol

Karyn and all....praying and hoping that no harm will come to you and NO cabin fever ...gosh I would go crazy too!!

Lucy

• haase
    14 years ago

Danced naked. Took the video.
    But remember, I can't post pictures.
    When I started to send the video to Lucy, my computer crashed.
    Ingrid.

• oxmix
    14 years ago

Karyn, NOAA is now predicting 10 to 20 inches for MD. Good luck with this, sorry hubby has to get out in the blizzard and sweep the green house, but the winds are supposed to be strong, it might blow off.

• karyn1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Good God you should have seen the store this morning. I went to Target because I needed a cheap pair of snow boots for Kyle and figured I'd do the rest of my shopping there plus there's a Petsmart next to it and I needed food for my critters. It was a ZOO!!!!!! The only plus was that they had just gotten in a shipment of the elusive Zhu Zhu Pets (I bought 5)!!!!! Even Petsmart was crowded. I don't get it, don't these people have jobs? Where the heck do they all come from? lol

• chena
    14 years ago

Sh*%.. That doesn't sound good!!

Kylie

• napdognewfie
    14 years ago

If you look at the forecast, I am in western Allegany County. The 10-20" area. LOL Got my milk last night. We're as ready as we're gonna be, bring it on.

Linda

• karyn1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It's a coming down. NOAA is calling for 15-20" with strong winds. This is a light fluffy snow which is good but we might get some nasty drifts if we get that much accumulation. It really is very pretty though.

• napdognewfie
    14 years ago

Not that much accumulation here. Just about 2" of powder.

Linda

• haase
    14 years ago

Eh, I'm still saying: hey, send some to me, I can handle it

Ingrid

• PKponder TX Z7B
    14 years ago

It seems so quiet when it snows, I like it, but we don't get it often and it doesn't hang around. Stay safe and warm Karyn and all of the other east coast folks! I hope your greenhouse is safe too, Karyn.

• eloise_ca
    14 years ago

Karyn and others, please stay indoors where it's safe and warm. Hope this storm won't be too bad and disrupts your lives too much.

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

How do I start this message?

Good Morning?

Bad Morning?

Worsted ever?

Ingrid sometimes Miracles happen :-) OR you should go visit my DD in Florida at the Daycare. They actually bring in one of those snow making machines.

Kids had a blast, from the pictures she send me :-)

Lucy

• chena
    14 years ago

Looking rough in the east!! Ya'll be safe and warm!! I want pic's!!

Kylie

• karyn1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It's definitely coming down. We have about 10" now and it's supposed to keep up at 2-3" an hour until tonight. It's beautiful and it's a very light fluffy snow so that's a plus. DH already went out this morning. He took the 4WD and said that some roads were iffy even with the 4WD. The kids are getting ready to go sledding. Better them then me! I'll post pics later on.

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

better YOU then ME roflmao

Sorry I just had to do that ha ha ha ha

I love winter pictures.

I COULD send you a SUN picture I took this morning?

The Sky was AMAZING looking. It was so awesome that I ran and got the Camera, just so I can share that with you all.

Lucy

• karyn1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

We're already up to about 16" since the last time I posted and it's getting to be white out conditions at times. The subway was just closed down. It really is getting bad. Worse instead of better. I think they'll start closing the malls soon. They almost never close the malls, especially this time of year and in this economy. I took pics from my front and back doors only. I'm NOT going outside. lol

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

well it is right up there with the 2-3" per hour...NOT good timing for the stores if they have to close. That on the last Sat before X mas. Glad you do not have to go outside. In a way it is a blessing for lots of folks that do not have to work on the WE and they can stay home.

Can not wait to see the pictures :-)

Lucy

• napdognewfie
    14 years ago

My friend said 10 here but it's still coming. I went for a walk & it is over my boots so I think we got more than that. I love walking in the snow. The dogs are enjoying it & Aspen (American Eskimo) hops because it is up to her neck. Abby (Newfoundland) just puts her head down & pretends she is a snow plow. LOL The wind is blowing so I didn't take the camera.

Linda

• karyn1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

This is out an upstairs window early this morning.

{{gwi:586579}}

Looking out towards the front yard. The white lump to the right in the last pic is my van.

{{gwi:590792}}
    {{gwi:590793}}
    {{gwi:590794}}
    {{gwi:590795}}

Outside the back door. Bailey is looking for snowball that we throw her. Silly dog. lol

{{gwi:590796}}
    {{gwi:590797}}
    {{gwi:590798}}
    {{gwi:590799}}

Madi her friend and Kyle. The snow is coming down so heavy that it's hard to see

{{gwi:590800}}

A few plants that are in bloom or in bud. If the brugs start to smell I'll have to put them in the garage.

{{gwi:590801}}
    {{gwi:590802}}
    {{gwi:590803}}
    {{gwi:590804}}
    {{gwi:590805}}
    {{gwi:590806}}
    {{gwi:590792}}

• gardenpaw
    14 years ago

Wow, lots of snow!
    Nice pics Karyn!
    We were getting snow this morning but have no accumulation.
    You guys all stay safe and warm!

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

thanks for posting the pictures already .
    That is more snow than I would love to see LIVE lol
    But obviously the kids really enjoy it and Baley too :-)

Is it still snowing?

Love your pictures of your blooms. The Amaryllis is gorgeous! Sure hope the brugs will not smell to much so you do not have to miss out on their blooming.

Lucy

• karyn1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It's up over 2' now! It's still snowing but is tapering off. This was way more snow then I expected and it's going to be sticking around for a while because the temps aren't supposed to go above freezing in the near future.

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

I am just watching the news. Traffic looks horrible. Total standstill.

Oh yeah I am glad I am not flying!!!

Hoping all the holiday travelers that want to go see family...will not get stuck in that mess!!!

Just good that the kids are out for the holidays anyways. I just can not imagine that with that snow hanging around...that there will be much going on. I mean..WHERE is all that suppose to go?

Lucy

• gottahosta
    14 years ago

Oh, what a winter wonderland, Karyn. NOT, you say???!!!
    Folks in Georgia pray for snow but it is so dangerous down here if we get even 3"- my gosh, two feet!
    Praying for you that the worst is over and that your power stays on and your greenhouses stay intact!
    ~Brenda

• napdognewfie
    14 years ago

I think we have 14 so far. The mall was open as usual. DS has been snow blowing the neighbors. Our shovel is missing.

Linda

• haase
    14 years ago

What wondrous excitement, and memories.
    Lucy, my family had a house in Austria (Kitzbuehel). Lots of snow.
    Ingrid.

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

Oh Ingrid ............WOW. No wonder you would like to see some snow!

Lucy

• figara
    14 years ago

Karyn, the pictures look awesome including the snow ones. The kids look like they have a lot of fun. I love snow if I can go to a warm house after wards. I would hate it other wise.

Hope the snow stopped by now.
    Stay warm

Pat

• oxmix
    14 years ago

So whats your S total - Karyn?
    We got gyped up here storm is over now. just a quick 6 inches, maybe. Just south of hear, 25 miles, there is over 20 inches.

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

Barry I was wondering the same thing this morning ;-)

Lucy

• oxmix
    14 years ago

maybe Karyn is snowed in and can't get internet aceess Muhahahaha :)

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

Every time I see the snowstorms on the news...I get the chills. Man I hope everyone is getting through this without major damage!

Lucy

• oxmix
    14 years ago

Well Lucy, us New Englanders laugh about snow fear...
    Really, Karyn will get through it. There is a fun side to a Nor'easter. Warm cozy fires, cup of tea with glistening fluffy landscapes.

• chena
    14 years ago

WHOA!!!! That is a lot of snow.. Sure is pretty but I can live with out it..LOL The kids and Bailey do look like the are having a blast!!

Kylie

• karyn1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The last time I measured was last night and that was an average of 25". It snowed for a bit longer but I don't think there was much more accumulation. I have some drifts that are about 4' in the backyard. The sun peeked out this morning and now there's an icy glaze over everything. It's so bright outside it's blinding but it's really pretty. There's still no cars or anything mucking it up. No plows thru my neighborhood yet. Hopefully by tomorrow. There was a wide range of snow accumulation in the DC Metro region. My area had one of the heaviest accumulations, great (insert sarcasm here).

I'm guessing that the kids won't be back in school until after Christmas break. I can't see the schools opening before Wed when the break begins.

• oxmix
    14 years ago

Bet the kids are so psyched for no school!
    Sigh....... I remember the days when we had 2 to 3 footers and huge drifts (oxmix reminisces) ho hummm ;(

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

oh, our kids are already on school break. Lucky for your kids lol

Karyn you just need to stop raising your hand when all these bad things are handed out.

I know what is on your wishlist for next year!!!!

I wish the same thing for you

Hugs
    Lucy

• wickedwickedwitch
    14 years ago

Yeah, you got a little snow. This is why I moved South.
    Stay warm!

• eloise_ca
    14 years ago

Beautiful pictures Karyn. Even if you are snowed in, I see it doesn't affect the kids, LOL! Hopefully it won't be too much of a mess out there.

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

Karyn how are things going this morning?

Lucy

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

Oh boy, I have not seen you post today Karyn. PLEEEEEEEEASE be ok!!!!!

Lucy

• beachplant
    14 years ago

My sister is in Dover, it started snowing at 0300 and by daylight they had 2' of snow and it was coming down so hard they couldn't see the house next door! I haven't talked to her in a couple of days, the phone lines were down and they are having trouble with the cell towers.

Hope ya'll are warm and snug!
    Shopping must be like hurricane shopping, everyone waits till the last minute.
    Tally HO!

• figara
    14 years ago

Karyn, hope you and your family are alright and have power and heat.

Pat

• karyn1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Folks,

Everything is fine, no power loss or anything. I'm just in a bad mood with all this %$#? snow piled up. I haven't driven anywhere yet but have an appointment at 10:30 so hopefully I won't have any problems getting there. I should have had DH leave me the Explorer (4WD) but didn't think of it but my van usually does alright in snow. We didn't even bother digging out the honda. lol DH tried to cheer me up by bringing me home a case of assorted hoyas.

You can't get near a shopping center during normal business hours. Malls are unbelieveably packed so many are staying open 24/7 until Christmas eve. They lost so much business by being closed last weekend. Maybe I'll go shopping late tonight to cheer myself up. Such a big snowfall was a novelty for the first 2 days, now it just sucks! Oh yeah the weather service is saying that more snow or maybe rain is a possibility for Fri!

• PKponder TX Z7B
    14 years ago

I don't blame you for having cabin fever! I like to look at pictures of hoyas (hint, hint), the flowers look like little jewels to me.

I hope you get to youe appointment safely and the next snowfall misses you entirely.

Pam

• karyn1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The major roads and snow emergency routes were fine. They'd been cleared down to the asphalt. The side streets are still kind of dicey and none of the sidewalks have been cleared. What's bad are the pedestrians walking in the road but there's nowhere else to walk. The schools did cancel tomorrow too so the kids won't go back until Jan.

Pam these hoyas aren't in bloom but I did take pics. None of my hoyas are in bloom now. I rescued a half dozen that had been neglected in the greenhouse for the past couple years and bought a variety that I'd wanted for quite some time. I'm starting to like them again.

• jillybean1977
    14 years ago

Karen the snow looks so beautiful but I guess it must get tiresome after awhile. I've only seen it snow once in my life at relatives in Denver. I used to have a twisted rope hoya until the mealy bugs got to it. It was long and so unique looking. Well I hope you get to go shopping and have lots of fun.

Jill

• fool4flowers
    14 years ago

Wow, Karyn you got a lot of snow! Glad you were able to get out of the house. I bet it was driving you nuts, lol.

• beachplant
    14 years ago

Glad you're allright and can get out. Looks like air traffic is moving again.

I love hoyas, they like our climate, grow like crazy and bloom
    Tally HO!

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

Karyn I hope the winter blues go away real soon with the melting snow...HOPEFULLY!!!

Your DH is such a sweet guy :-)

When I see the stores so packed...I just always ask myself were do people take the money from and WHAT recession ???!!!

Our mall was packed in the parking lot that I have not seen in years! I don't think there was one spot empty.

I am DONE...whatever I have not done....everyone that knows me...will not mind getting things a little later lol

Lucy

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz