Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn1_gw

OT: Not much in the greenhouse

karyn1
14 years ago

There's a few plants in bloom but not much. I cut many of the plants way back. Bruce just kind of got them into the greenhouse while I was sick and it was easier for me to just cut them then it was to rearrange them. At least I can see something with color. It's so cold here. It's been in the teens at night. Brrrrrrrrr!!!!

I'm not sure what the variegated tree is but I made it into a bonsai a couple years ago and it's done beautifully. No blooms though. You can see some of the nasty aphids on the Nun's orchid.

{{gwi:591063}}

{{gwi:591065}}

{{gwi:591067}}

{{gwi:591069}}

{{gwi:591070}}

{{gwi:591071}}

{{gwi:591072}}

{{gwi:591073}}

{{gwi:591074}}

{{gwi:591075}}

{{gwi:591077}}

{{gwi:591079}}

{{gwi:591081}}

More of the same amaryllis. I cross pollinated them but I don't think the white variety will produce seed. The reproductive structures appear deformed but they did produce pollen so I used it on the red blooms.

{{gwi:591083}}

{{gwi:591085}}

Comments (17)

• pagrdnr
    14 years ago

Very nice Karyn. What is the white flower...I think it is the 11th pic down?

• haase
    14 years ago

Am I correct in assuming that your greenhouse is the size of a warehouse?
    Ingrid

• karyn1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That's not a flower, it's foliage but I can't remember the name of the plant offhand. I'll take a look tomorrow. It's a succulent. The rest of the foliage is light green and pink.

Ingrid that's a small backyard greenhouse that I heat. It's a 10 x 12. Our big commercial size greenhouses are at the farm. Unfortunately it's become too expensive to heat the big greenhouses much above freezing. It's been difficult adjusting from a 200 x 75 heated greenhouse to the 10 x 12. It's been about 3 years since we kept the farm GH warm enough for my tropicals so I've adjusted, kind of. lol

• luvmy3afhounds
    14 years ago

Karyn,
    I think your blooms look great! It must be nice seeing them especially after all that snow!
    My seedlings I started in late summer are not faring well in the garage. I had wanted a (Stictocardia beraviensis) Hawaiian Sunset Vine & got a small one late in the fall from Ron (Dogwooderitternet). I have it in the house and all the leaves have fallen off but is has buds! I am so hopeful it will bloom!
    Your bloom pictures brightened up my day!
    Joyce

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

Karyn, given all the bad things happening to you and your garden...AMAZING and so happy for you that you got so much blooming.

I got to get off the computer soon. I feel so bad that I have not send Eddie and a few others a thank you card.

One of an early New Years resolutions I have made for myself.

But the reason I mention it...EDDIE send me a variegated tree ....and it looks like yours. It looks SO awesome!! Let me run in the other room and get the name!!!

Lucy

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

Darn it...another New Years Resolution : go get me some glasses!! grrrrrrrrrrrrrr I just saw after blowing (it) up...that yours is not mine :-(

Sorry
    {{gwi:591087}}From Pictures for GW friends

Called Sun Burst

Unfortunately it got a bit bumped around to much. And we all know how well Eddie packs!! Christmas rush :-(

Lucy

• karyn1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Lucy yours is a succulent. Mine is a tree or shrub of some type. I might be able to find the name if I can remember where I bought it.

Shawn the plant with the white foliage is called a Senecio articulatus or Candle Plant. It supposedly has little yellow flowers. If mine has bloomed I haven't noticed but that's not anything new. lol I have several growing from pieces that have broken off. It's one of those that do well when completely ignored.

• eloise_ca
    14 years ago

Karyn, thanks for sharing your blooms! What are the plants on 5th and 8th pictures? Are they a begonia and a pipevine? Very interesting looking.

• karyn1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It's some type of angel leaf begonia and a Ceropegia woodii - String of Hearts/Rosary vine. My pipevines are kind of dormant now.

• Frances Coffill
    14 years ago

Karyn

Thank you for sharing! I would be happy with a greenhouse one half the size of yours! What is that beautiful blue flower? (3rd pic) looks like some sort of Pea.

I hope your plants will prosper (even an unheated green house is better than none) admire your orchids very much!

Happy New Year!

Frances

• karyn1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank You. The blue flower is a Clerodendrum ugandense. It's a small shrub type of plant. The blooms look like little blue butterflies. The only bad thing about that plant is that the foliage is stinky if you brush against it.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    14 years ago

So many pretty and unusual plants! Will you please ID pictures 6 and 10, Karyn? Thanks for showing us what is blooming.

Pam

• karyn1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Happy New Year! The plant in the 6th pic is a Congo Cockatoo (Impatiens niamniamensis). The 10th pic are Passiflora biflora buds. I'll post again when they open.

• chena
    14 years ago

NICE!!!
    Looks like a lot to me..LOL
    I do have a Brug the is starting to bloom.. A trial of Gary's, a Hib and this Beauty!! BUT that is it! âº

{{gwi:591089}}

• fool4flowers
    14 years ago

Oooh all are very pretty. My nun's orchid hasn't bloomed yet. I got some kind of bugs eating the foliage. Gotta spay it. Thats a beautiful Amaryllis Kylie. Only keeping my greenhouse above freezing at night but it gets warm during the day. I have tomatoes still growing, lol.

• eloise_ca
    14 years ago

Oh Karyn, please do post a pix of the Passiflora biflora when it opens up!

Kylie, beautiful triple (or more) amaryllis!

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

Thanks for the heads up...I got it in the card from Eddie...but have not added it to the plant yet.

Kylie I love that Amaryllis.

Lucy