Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iris_9

One More Frozen Brug Question

iris_9
14 years ago

I usually just prune back the dead canes (not sure if they are called canes, limbs, or branches but I call them "canes") after the freezes. Here in cental CA there are not many frost days but it takes just one to do them in, but they always come back in the spring from the roots. Now after reading some of the posts I'm wondering if I would get blooms sooner if I didn't do any pruning and just leave the canes that I have thought were dead. Do your brugs sprout new growth on the old canes? With mine it happens sometimes but the strongest growth seems to come back from the roots. I think I originally pruned them back before the first frost in order to take cuttings in case they didn't make it. Then over the years they grew so tall that I would prune them back in order to drape a frost protective covering over them. I didn't prune any this year except for the 2 that DH shovel pruned (but it about broke my heart) because they were too close to the house and the roots were actually growing under the house.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio