Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
honeybunny2_gw

Is it too late to put Alfa Meal out?

honeybunny2 Fox
13 years ago

I have a 50lb bag of Alfa meal, I bought at the feed store. Gary wants me to put it down now, but I am not sure. Right now my hibiscus and bird of paradsise are in full bloom. I had the worse year for brugmansia blooms. I only saw a few discolored blooms in the spring and then nothing. Would it be best to wait until March, or should I put down the alfa meal now? Barbra

Comments (7)

• chena
    13 years ago

Barbra I would wait till Spring..

Kylie

• rmbill
    13 years ago

I am a dummy. What does alfalfa meal do?
    Bill

• princealbert
    13 years ago

rmbill,
    I'm glad you asked---I don't know either.
    Ok. You experienced, seasoned, and knowledgable guys enlighten us dummies.
    pa

• kasha77
    13 years ago

Hi- I just looked it up-
    Alfalfa Meal
    Organic plant fertilizer that enriches and helps rebuild soil

Seasonal planting can take a toll on your garden. As most crops grow, they leach valuable elements and minerals from the soil, depleting it of resources and making it less fertile over time.

Alfalfa Meal can help restore soil and bring back its full growing potential. With a unique 3-1-2 ratio, Alfalfa Meal is an all natural, organic fertilizer that replaces the sugar, starches and proteins that help keep your plants growing healthy and strong.

Alfalfa Meal contains high amounts of:
    �Vitamin A
    �Folic Acid
    �Thiamin
    �Riboflavin
    �Pantothenic Acid
    �Niacin
    �Tricontanol, a natural occurring growth hormone

Application: For best results, sprinkle Alfalfa Meal around the base of the plants, bushes, shrubs or flowers you wish to treat. One 25 lb bag can treat over 1,000 feet of top soil.

More information about Alfalfa Meal

Alfalfa Meal works as an organic fertilizer, utilizing microbacteria to break down and produce heat that accelerates the decomposition of the minerals within the meal. Rhizobacteria activity further dissolves the nutrients, making them more readily available for use by the plant. Using Alfalfa Meal is easy, and provides an alternative to other organic fertilizers such as blood meal or compost that may contain excessive amounts of nitrogen for more delicate plants.

Alfalfa Meal is a rapid decomposer, and can naturally generate a lot of heat in a short amount of time. This heat generating ability means that Alfalfa Meal is also a good accelerant for use with any compost pile. Mulching Alfalfa Meal into the main body of the pile will aid decomposition and produce quicker results.

Whether you use it to fertilize your plants or accelerate your compost, Alfalfa Meal is a fantastic way to help your garden achieve greater success.
    Personally, I would wait til spring, it won't do anything to benefit your plants now.
    kasha77

• chena
    13 years ago

You can use AM in the compost as you would use Blood meal to heat it up.. It helps to stimulate the micro organisms in the soil.. I use it during the growing season along with seaweed . fish emulsion and composted manure.(something we never run out of..LOL)

Kylie

• princealbert
    13 years ago

Thanks,
    Ya'll taught me something today.
    pa

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Prince Albert, it does wonders for the sugar sand we have at the coast. My husband has always put alfa meal and dried molasses on our yard in the spring. He bought me a bag to put in my flowerbeds, and it really did make a diffrence. I have never had so many tropical blooms. I need to put some around my brugmansia, maybe that will help them. Email me and let me know when you are coming down. I would love you to come by the house and meet my husband. Barbra