Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flowergirl70ks

Calla lilies

flowergirl70ks
13 years ago

I grow callas in pots, they grow fine, but never bloom. Are there any special tricks to getting them to bloom?

Comments (12)

• iris_gal
    13 years ago

New soil every year? Low nitrogen fertilizer? More sun?

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    13 years ago

I think more sun. In all my years growing Callas I have never fertilized them. Even when competing with other plants they bloom. Al

• Donna
    13 years ago

Morning sun, afternoon shade. Plenty of moisture, never getting dry. In pots, I'd fertilize from time to time. Nutrients leach out of potting soil fairly fast, so I would fertilize. I like Osmocote in pots.

• flowergirl70ks
    Original Author
    13 years ago

What Donna says is pretty much what I do now. I'm thinking I might put them in the ground this year. I know I'll have to dig later but I want bloom!! thanks guys.

• kentstar
    13 years ago

Last year I bought a dozen calla bulbs from Brent and Becky's bulbs. I potted six (3 per large pot) and planted 6 in the ground. The ones in the ground bloomed, but nada from the potted ones. I got lots of nice foilage, but no blooms. Hmmm... So, if I ever get these again, I'll be planting in the ground.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    13 years ago

I only grow callas in the garden, anything I grow in containers, I fertilize regularly. I don't mean to mislead anyone. Al

• vetivert8
    13 years ago

Check the size of your pots. Minimum size would be a gallon. And, as iris_gal says, new soil each year. Plus separate the new offsets from the big bulbs.

In the ground I'd ignore them, except for the annual splosh of compost. In pots I'd feed them once the leaves were through.

Whispered confession: I emptied a pot into one of those bulb baskets for inground planting and, um, forgot them. There was very little soil. Up they came, and flowered, in just two hours of morning sun.

My mum's callas grow in seriously stony silty soil in baking conditions, with a lot of sun - and do just fine. Consequence - more flowers than juicy leaves.

• marys_garden_patch
    13 years ago

I don't do any of those things and my calla in a pot blooms. It's blooming right now, and then will sit out on my deck in the hot Texas sun all summer. Sometimes I remember to throw a little fertilizer on it, but no changing dirt. In the winter I bring it onto the porch and cover it. Every year I think it's dead, but then it blooms again. It took a couple of years, however to start.

• Spicebush
    11 years ago

Searching for callas, I found this old thread.

I have a pot of pink callas that my BIL gave me when my father died, 4 years ago. It has bloomed three of the four years. It seems to be really crowded in the pot so I will separate them in the spring. I haven't added new soil but have given them a drink of Miracle Gro a few times.

In winter, I just let them go dormant and stick the pot under the basement stairs until spring. They usually start showing a bit of green before I remember to put them outside and water them.

• kristiepdx
    11 years ago

The lady who lived here before us planted white calla lillies by the walkway. They come back and bloom every year. I never fertilize them. Lots of people in the neighborhood have them. They are perrenial here.

• kristiepdx
    11 years ago

I wanted to add that they only get 3.5 hours of morning sun a day. I have seen them grown in much more sun. Portland oregon

• kristiepdx
    11 years ago

I wanted to add that they only get 3.5 hours of morning sun a day. I have seen them grown in much more sun. Portland oregon

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!