Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gcertain_gw

A few butterflies in southern Mexico

gcertain
17 years ago

I have created a Picasa album of the butterflies I've been able to photograph in the last six weeks in Mexico. Most of the species are new to me, and I need IDs for them. I will add photos to this album as I see more butterflies.

Butterflies of Michoacan

A friend suggested that I try Picasa for uploading photos, so I'm trying this out to see if I like it better than posting pictures individually. A significant negative, in my opinion, is that we can't see the pictures right here, but it is a lot faster. I'll compromise and upload one picture directly.

Image link:

Comments (9)

• MissSherry
    17 years ago

I've been looking through my butterfly books, and I'm just about positive that the butterflies that look like julias but are different on the underside are scarce silver-spotted flambeaus/dione juno.
    The one that looks like a gulf frit is undoubtedly a Mexican silverspot/dione moneta.
    The sulphur looks like our cloudless sulphurs. The only way I can get a decent picture of any sulphur is to turn down the exposure level on my camera - if I don't, they wind up being so overexposed you can't tell what they really look like!
    Thanks, Geni! I've got such a bad case of butterfly withdrawals I'm getting the shakes! :)
    MissSherry

• tdogmom
    17 years ago

Great pics, Geni!

Okay, now you've got me checking. Could the little yellow swallowtail be a Broad-banded Swallowtail (Heraclides astyalus)?

The orange one looks like a Juno Silverspot (Dione juno). It is listed as a 'longwing.'

The little checkered might be an Ardys Crescent (Anthanassa ardys).

The long-tailed skipper wasn't anything like the one I found online.

:) What fun! It is like a treasure hunt and the mathematician in me likes the compare/contrast aspect...

• linda_centralokzn6
    17 years ago

Cool, Geni. I'll check them out more later when I have time.

• gcertain
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'm glad you are enjoying this. I sure appreciate the help. I believe CalSherry and MissSherry are correct about the orange longwing being Dione juno.

I also think what I took to be a tail on the small yellow and black butterfly was actually part of a leaf. I thought I remembered seeing tails on the actual butterfly, but it's been six weeks since I saw one up close, so I don't trust my memory any more than my vision. I found a picture that looks very much like it -- without tails -- on mariposasmexicanas.com (thanks CalSherry for this site, which I immediately bookmarked): Catasticta nimbice nimbice, Mexican Dartwhite.

The little checker could be Anthanassa ardys, but I'll have to get a better picture to be sure.

Any guesses about the platinum colored one or the longtail skipper?

geni

• redfishin
    17 years ago

Here is my 2 cents

pic 1&2 Longtailed skipper SSP
    pic 4 Pallid sicklewing achlyodes pallida
    pic 5-6-7 Juno dione juno
    pic 8 Mexican Silverspot dione moneta
    pic 11 Mexican Dartwhite catasticta nimbice
    pic 12 tough to tell with this pic looks like a male cloudless sulphur phoebis sennae
    pic 13-14 Texas Crescent Anthanassa Texana

Hope this helps

Bill Berthet

• gcertain
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Bill, this helps a lot. Thanks. I think you have correctly identified Achlyodes pallida, Dione juno, Catasticta nimbice and Anthanassa texana. I agree with you about the sulphur. I believe the species in pic 8 is Dione juno rather than Dione moneta, but only because I saw that butterfly with its wings open.

That still leaves the longtailed skipper in pics 1 and 2. Do you think it could be Urbanus dorantes dorantes?

• linda_centralokzn6
    17 years ago

I sure thought that 13 and 14 looked alot like the Texan crescent. We get those in Okla. Cool.

You're about to get them all Id, Geni.

• gcertain
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I went down to the beach at Troncones last weekend and finally saw lots of butterflies. Unfortunately, I could not get close enough to photograph most of them, but I did get a couple. Both of these are new to me, so my identifications are subject to revision. They are the first two pictures in the album:

{{gwi:443718}}

Butterflies of Michoacán

• mcronin
    17 years ago

Geni,

Thanks for sharing. I'm really enjoying YOUR Mexican vacation. Let us know about the results of your gardening efforts.

mike

Sponsored